PDA

View Full Version : Condor Flats makes way for Grizzly Peak Airfield

stan4d_steph
01-07-2015, 10:44 AM
The walls are up around Condor Flats as the area undergoes an extensive renovation to transform to an extension of the Grizzly Peaks theming. While the area is set to open in "Summer 2015" with no firm reopen date, Soarin' will reopen on May 15 with a new show and digital projection.

The concept art has been around for a while. The addition of more trees to the area will be nice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6w_lt0CcAE6vpG.jpg:large

carolinakid
01-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Makes sense to me. I always thought it was a little strange that some of the "lands" in DCA consisted of just one attraction/building. I like the expansion of Grizzly Peaks theming in that area. It's really pretty when seen from our balcony at the GCH.

Nikara
01-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Grizzly Peaks is really my favorite themed area of DCA. The huge trees and real feeling that you have entered a forest are always refreshing. I'm excited for it to be extended.

Nightwing
01-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Hopping this will be interesting! And looks to be just that! ^_^

danyoung
01-07-2015, 12:16 PM
I read on another site that Soarin' will reopen with a new screen and digital projectors but the same show. Is this right?

olegc
01-07-2015, 12:29 PM
I read on another site that Soarin' will reopen with a new screen and digital projectors but the same show. Is this right?

nothing officially announced but with new projectors comes new digital film - BUT - same story (soaring over CA). We won't get new footage until Hong Kong's opens. (or is it Shanghai?).

To me - is this also the first move to junk the "Walt Disney experiences california through the decades" storyline for the park? Initially when Carsland and BVS were launched this was the overall push - that BVS was 20s Los Angeles, HollywoodLand was 40s, Condor Flats was 50s, Grizzly Peak was 10s and some 20s - Theodore Roosevelt Era. That's why they got rid of a lot of the edgy xtreme sports elements around GRR and added much older accents of equipment, signs, etc. Now if you combine everything - then the theme is not tied to era's of California as much as the movie Planes- Fire and Rescue. (which Soarin was already using in its intro movie).

danyoung
01-07-2015, 12:46 PM
nothing officially announced but with new projectors comes new digital film ...

There's actually no such thing as digital film. Film is analog. I'm sure it will be files served up by a computer directly to the projector. Much cleaner, and it'll do away with all those nasty little black specks that would show up all over the film!

olegc
01-07-2015, 12:55 PM
There's actually no such thing as digital film. Film is analog. I'm sure it will be files served up by a computer directly to the projector. Much cleaner, and it'll do away with all those nasty little black specks that would show up all over the film!

Yeah I know but its easier to reference that way.

Sorry for not articulating correctly

danyoung
01-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I just naturally climb up on a high horse when techie stuff comes into play!

Blacksheep Uncle
01-07-2015, 02:01 PM
makes me sad...I loved the old airfield vibe of Condor Flats :(

sjhanksaz
01-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Go for it I say

lifeisgood
01-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Saw the walls up yesterday. I'm all for more trees anywhere in DCA! Thanks for posting the concept art, Steph. I hadn't seen it before. (Oh, how I miss Blue Sky Cellar...that was always one of the highlights of our trips.)

olegc
01-08-2015, 11:02 AM
something i just thought of. Grizzly Peak theme kind of fits with Soarin over California in that we get many scenes in nature - trees, mountains, streams - then some deserts. When Soarin over the World hits the connection won't be as close. Still there, but not as close.

sjhanksaz
01-08-2015, 02:01 PM
I kind of miss not having "lands" in DCA

Isn't the only land in there bugsland?

Now we can have Grizzleyland

averagecuppajoe
01-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Finally! This area was always a letdown to me (visually). I've always thought that it was underwhelming and could have been done so much better. I think this theming will be great and agree wholeheartedly about the trees--it needs them desperately! I think the park is lacking in vegetation in general. I also hope they find a way of disguising the view of the Convention Center, someday. This view puts you right back into the busy streets of Anaheim. You're immediately taken out of the park and relieved to be on the inside, not outside of the park. Walt would'nt have approved. Walt was so stringent about keeping his guests inside his make-believe world and hidden from the "real" world, that he had city ordinances passed to protect the height of the buildings around Disneyland. The city agreed with him that it was important to Disneyland to keep it's magic, so they made it so that the views could never legally be ruined. I think in his desire for saving money, Eisner decided it wasn't a big enough priority to deal with. To the dismay of many guests who do pat attention to these details.

danyoung
01-09-2015, 05:44 AM
I kind of miss not having "lands" in DCA

Disney lists the following "lands" in DCA -

Buena Vista Street

Grizzly Peak

A Bug's Land

Cars Land

Condor Flats

Paradise Pier

Hollywood Land

Pacific Wharf

Some of these aren't as clearly defined as the lands in Disneyland, but DCA does have lands, sorta.

sjhanksaz
01-09-2015, 06:07 AM
Disney lists the following "lands" in DCA -

Buena Vista Street

Grizzly Peak

A Bug's Land

Cars Land

Condor Flats

Paradise Pier

Hollywood Land

Pacific Wharf

Some of these aren't as clearly defined as the lands in Disneyland, but DCA does have lands, sorta.

Pacifiland does not exactly run off the tongue now does it

I do like Vistaland

bumblebeeonarose
01-09-2015, 08:25 AM
This makes me happy. I think the lands are too choppy as they are. And I also love the forest theming the best. Now they can list 3 attractions, a restaurant, a gift shop, and a bathroom all in one land. That is much better than as it was: 1 attraction, restroom, and restaurant in one land and 2 attractions with a gift shop in the other. Now it will really be like a land, and I really believe it will look much, much better.

cstephens
01-09-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't think a land has to include the word "land" to be a land. Critter Country (and Bear Country before it) and Toontown and New Orleans Square in Disneyland are good examples.

Janis and Aaron
01-11-2015, 06:45 PM
nothing officially announced but with new projectors comes new digital film - BUT - same story (soaring over CA). We won't get new footage until Hong Kong's opens. (or is it Shanghai?).

Shanghai - and I hear its opening is getting delayed again, so it may be 2016 before Soarin' Over the World appears.