PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bands In Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

BlkPearlCptn
12-27-2014, 06:56 AM
Just saw the announcement (sorry don't have the link) where Disney announced that Magic Bands are coming to all Disney Parks, DLR included. To quote Mr. Horse: "No Sir, i don't like it." If I understand correctly you can only get them if you stay at a Disneyland Resort Hotel and then you have to make your reservations months in advance. What about the majority of people who stay off site, or live nearby? Sounds like being able to do a spontaneous trip just flew out the window. I just have a bad feeling about this all the way around.

EDIT: Mods, I don't know why this thread came up under my original Locker one. Please feel free to move it where you see fit. Thanks.

Toocherie
12-30-2014, 12:20 PM
So this article: http://www.chipandco.com/mymagic-disney-parks-205214/

speculates that the Magic Bands system will be coming to Disneyland, albeit with some changes to reflect that a lot of the Disneyland patrons are annual passholders who will make spur of the moment visits.

So, trying to think about how this would work. Someone staying in the hotels could make Magic Bands ride reservations 30-60 days out. Seems to me they will have to "hold back" some capacity for those APs who either are just dropping in for the day or come every few days. Otherwise, doesn't seem like APs would ever have a chance to get on any of the E-ticket rides because the allocation would be long gone by those who were planning further in advance.

Thoughts? ideas? I do have to say the thought about being able to "schedule" a parade viewing (like they do with the Main Street Electrical Parade in WDW) instead of staking out a spot has its appeal, but I really don't want to plan weeks in advance that I may want to go on Buzz/Pirates/Soarin' on the day I am there.

stan4d_steph
12-30-2014, 01:05 PM
There are no citations in that blog post. Here's the Orlando Sentinel article (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-disney-mymagic-20141225-story.html) she is copying with more detail.

3Princesses1Prince
12-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Between the limit on the number of advance FPs you can make per day and the comparatively small number of people that actually stay onsite, I don't see this as having a potential to "fill up" all FP slots.

Drince88
12-30-2014, 07:03 PM
But Magic Bands are more than just FP+ - so they could introduce Magic Bands for entrance media, obtaining paper FPs, charging, Photo Pass - but not do the advance FP+ reservations. I'm not saying that's what they're going to do, but it would be an option.

3Princesses1Prince
12-30-2014, 07:50 PM
But Magic Bands are more than just FP+ - so they could introduce Magic Bands for entrance media, obtaining paper FPs, charging, Photo Pass - but not do the advance FP+ reservations. I'm not saying that's what they're going to do, but it would be an option.
I was thinking the same thing, but being unfamiliar with Magic Bands I wasn't sure.

jrsharp21
12-31-2014, 05:10 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing this at DL. I am hoping they just change the FP machines to ones where you just walk up, check the return time, and if you like it you just scan your band and it's save to your band.

TulaBelle
12-31-2014, 08:08 AM
I think when they put the Magic Band system into DL, (because let's face it- they spent toooooo much money on it to not use it in every park they own) it will have to go through some growing pains in order for them to tweak it to get it where they need it to be.

Shortpix77
12-31-2014, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this at DL. I am hoping they just change the FP machines to ones where you just walk up, check the return time, and if you like it you just scan your band and it's save to your band.

This would be good. At WDW, it's cast members with tablets. The main issue I saw with this in certain parks was that if a ride or rides went down, the lines to change FP times grew to insane lengths. The app was the only thing that saved us from these lines.

I think they need the app at DL if they bring it here (or any app for that matter, ahem Disney) -- that was soooo much easier than having to go to a specific location to make changes. I loved that darn app. "Oh, lunch is going a bit long and I need to move our Space Mountain FPs? No problem, let me take 30 seconds and do that on my phone." Yes, please.

carolinakid
12-31-2014, 08:20 AM
I personally am not a magic band fan but I always felt it was inevitable that they would come to Disneyland. I accept them because they are here to stay but they haven't enhanced my recent trips (4 since the debut of magic bands) at all. We found we are able to do much less (attraction-wise) with the way we tour.

houseofmouse
12-31-2014, 08:41 AM
Also, anyone can get a Magic Band now. You either purchase them on property or from DisneyStore online. :) Then linking to your tickets is super easy.
I imagine Ap's will have better benefits than us WDW AP'ers do. 30 days out for us and it is hard to get certain rides, Toy Story, 7 D and some meet and greets. Other rides even Space you can get day of.
I do not like the 3 in one park rule and I imagine if DL has that rule as well a lot of people are going to be complaining.

katiesue
12-31-2014, 11:00 AM
If they get an app for disneyland they will need to do something about cell coverage. On busy days it can be terrible.

Drince88
12-31-2014, 11:02 AM
If they get an app for disneyland they will need to do something about cell coverage. On busy days it can be terrible.

WDW has WiFi everywhere (theoretically). Though it was really bad in our room in the Little Mermaid section of Art of Animation.

sjhanksaz
12-31-2014, 11:35 AM
I liked the magic bands while on our trip to WDW. We did go during the testing so we also could get paper ones.

If you could only pick 3 for the whole day then I would give this a frowny face :crying:

houseofmouse
12-31-2014, 12:08 PM
WDW wi fi can suck too! I can get great reception in MK most times and AK ok but Epcot and HS not so much!! Too many people on at one time, which is why they have the kiosks.

After the 3 you can get more and at another park if you hop but usually by then all the good rides FP are gone for the day. A major flaw in the system. If a ride is down while you have a FP for it, you can either wait and use your FP for that ride later even though the time is past or you can use your FP for any ride that takes FP without having to change it. Just not 7D though. :(

candles71
12-31-2014, 01:00 PM
The wifi/cell coverage is so bad in DL, I turn off everything that uses it or my battery dies super quick.

bennette
12-31-2014, 03:31 PM
The wifi/cell coverage is so bad in DL, I turn off everything that uses it or my battery dies super quick.

So, so bad.

I met up with someone in the park on the 26th and I'm pretty sure my battery was sucked dry before I got through the turnstiles.

Nightwing
01-02-2015, 09:45 AM

Christmas and NYD were bad. But think they use wifi for it but not sure.

Nightwing
01-02-2015, 09:46 AM
So, so bad.

I met up with someone in the park on the 26th and I'm pretty sure my battery was sucked dry before I got through the turnstiles.

On a normal day get about some where about 40% to 50%. Christmas and NYD... Ha to recharge a few times when in lines to keep it above 40%

Toocherie
01-03-2015, 12:28 PM

Yes, it seems to have gotten much worse the past three or four months. I used to be able to go all day and still have 30-40% --- now I'm lucky to get home with 10%.

Dave1313
01-03-2015, 06:46 PM
WDW wi fi can suck too! I can get great reception in MK most times and AK ok but Epcot and HS not so much!! Too many people on at one time, which is why they have the kiosks.

After the 3 you can get more and at another park if you hop but usually by then all the good rides FP are gone for the day. A major flaw in the system. If a ride is down while you have a FP for it, you can either wait and use your FP for that ride later even though the time is past or you can use your FP for any ride that takes FP without having to change it. Just not 7D though. :(

Both myself on my Ipod Touch and my brother in law on his cell (don't know model) had issues with Wi-Fi dropping in August around the perimeter of the 7DMT, sort of near Enchanted Tales with Belle and/or the new wall with the Castle turrets.

Could have been due to crowds I guess, but that seemed an odd place if it was strictly coverage related.

houseofmouse
01-04-2015, 06:23 AM
I agree Dave, there are probably just some areas where the wi fi just does not function right. Most times unless I know someone needs to get ahold of me, I snap a pic of my FP times and turn my phone on airplane mode. :) If I want to upload something to FB or send a pic to a friend, I will wait.

ABombbmoBA
01-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Any time I visit DLR, I make sure to have my iPhone in a Mophie....

jrsharp21
01-05-2015, 09:20 AM
The bad cell coverage draining your battery is one reason I changed from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S3 two years ago. The removable battery was a must have at the parks. I now charge up three batteries along with the one in my phone the night before. The three batteries stay in my backpack or camera case that I bring in and then I just switch them out as needed. I usually only have to change batteries once towards the end of the night if I am using the phone heavily during the day.

My contract is up and I thought about going to an iPhone 6 or 6 plus. But being able to replace the battery is still something that has me leaning to stay in the Samsung family.

Toocherie
01-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Ok, getting back to the topic of the thread---I read something yesterday that they don't expect the Magic Band technology to arrive in DLR until 2016. (I think it was the OC Register article.)