PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Fun at DCA

Pages : [1] 2 3

cstephens
12-29-2014, 12:11 PM
I had a chance to see some of the Frozen Fun elements at DCA yesterday, and here are my thoughts.

It was around 6pm when we got there, so it was already dark. It seemed like quite a few signs weren't lit, so it was hard to see what they were. There was no light on the Oaken trading post so you could barely make out the signage. I'm told the entrance arch (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549604948002885632) is supposed to be lit, so maybe they're still working out the kinks in what is technically the soft open period.

The dime press (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549605767104315392) is cool but in purchasing the Olaf design, I discovered that both the instructions and pictures have errors since they can't seem to tell the difference between a dime and a nickel.

Olaf's snow fest in what used to be the old Millionaire stage that had been repurposed for other things is really cool. They've done a lot inside to make it seem like you've arrived at Arendelle. (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549607050972393474) There's a toboggan slide (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549607424336748544) that's actually pretty cool. The exit area isn't marked, though, and I think there should be a separate waiting line for the slide than for the snow play area, but I'm not sure there's room.

There are treats available inside (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549608438301339648). I plan to try the meatballs (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549608073698897921) at some point. The cookie decorating is a little creepy. Unfortunately, they only sell white hot chocolate inside.

The snow play area has sessions that are 12 minutes long, with an additional three minutes to clear out each group. Lots of people were building snowmen. (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549608763489931264) It was pretty cool, but be warned that the snow turns icy quickly with all the people walking on it, so footing can turn treacherous.

There's a separate line to meet Olaf. (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549609679416860673)

The old band stage has been changed to just a DJ station. (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549610308633755648) It looks pretty cool, and I love that they built the ice tower for the DJ, but I would guess Disney is going to re-learn that a DJ alone isn't going to be as big a draw as a live band.

I like that they've redesigned all the structures to fit the Frozen theme.

The meet and greet with Marshmallow (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/549610913947324418) is really cool. And I kept thinking that if they can make him, they can just as easily make a rancor or a wampa.

The stage with the dancers has been removed and the side stage has ice carvers which I generally find boring.

The Animation building has been changed too, so the drawing area is for Frozen characters and the area that used to have the Toy Story zoetrope is now a meet and greet for Anna and Elsa.

We didn't go into the singalong that's in the old Muppetvision area.

We didn't get a chance to go into the singalong in the old Muppetvision area. I liked the new film posters outside.

One side note - can we get Storybookland CMs to call the new area Arendelle? Cause they pronounce it Arendale.

Overall, very nice job.

candles71
12-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your review C. I have found over the years that you and I have similar tastes, so your take is always good for me since I am so far away.
I laughed about the Rancor and wampa thought. :)
By drawing area, do you mean the learn to draw class? Or the screens in the lobby? We did draw Olaf on our last trip, and G & M drew Sully and Scrooge McDuck a month ago, I'd hate the class to be just Frozen, I like them rotating.
I still don't see how there is enough room in the Zoetroppe area to "double" the capacity like the update said. (I am thinking the movie barn type setup.)

SteveMartin
12-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your review C. I have found over the years that you and I have similar tastes, so your take is always good for me since I am so far away.
By drawing area, do you mean the learn to draw class? Or the screens in the lobby? We did draw Olaf on our last trip, and G & M drew Sully and Scrooge McDuck a month ago, I'd hate the class to be just Frozen, I like them rotating.
I still don't see how there is enough room in the Zoetroppe area to "double" the capacity like the update said. (I am thinking the movie barn type setup.)

Yes, he means the learn to draw class.

The screens in the lobby are still showing random movie clips.

candles71
12-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Yes, he means the learn to draw class.

The screens in the lobby are still showing random movie clips.
Thanks, and SHE. ;)

cstephens
12-29-2014, 06:33 PM
I have found over the years that you and I have similar tastes, so your take is always good for me since I am so far away.

One person who doesn't think I'm always wrong - win for me! :)

One track mind, right? ;)

Yes, the learn to draw class. The signage has changed to theme it to Frozen, and I know they teach you to draw Olaf. I'm not sure who else, but I was under the impression you were only drawing Frozen characters. And I've also heard that the screens in the lobby segment has been changed to add a scene from Frozen but we weren't in there long enough to confirm or refute that.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I do think there's more room there than before. In the old place, it was only the one room, which was a little store prior to its incarnation as a meet-and-greet area. In its current location, there are actually two rooms, the room where the zoetrope actually was, and then there was another room in the back that had some maquettes and posters of upcoming movies.

SteveMartin
12-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks, and SHE. ;)

Oops, I'll re-adjust my mental imagery. Sorry about that.

houseofmouse
12-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Just drawing Marshmallow and Olaf. Kind of a bummer.

carolinakid
12-30-2014, 09:13 AM
I think most people pronounce it Arendale instead of Arendelle (although I don't) because it's easier to say. But I wish the CMs would get it right.

olegc
12-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I do think there's more room there than before. In the old place, it was only the one room, which was a little store prior to its incarnation as a meet-and-greet area. In its current location, there are actually two rooms, the room where the zoetrope actually was, and then there was another room in the back that had some maquettes and posters of upcoming movies.

I seem to recall that the zoetrope was in the center in a standalone display and the remainder of the room had display cases around the perimeter. no real separate rooms - BUT - if you take the cases out and place a faux wall to hide the meet and greet (which in pics it looked like they did but those you attended in person may know better) you probably gain a lot of room you did not think you had.

candles71
12-30-2014, 09:52 AM
With the exit to the drawing class wrapping around that room, there isn't a lot of room to go past those display cases and they weren't very deep. I know, I know, Tinkerbell can do anything. ;)

Mermaid
12-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Are the FP for the show linked with the system?

MadasaHatter
12-31-2014, 05:25 PM
What's the wampa and the rancor??? Are those STAR WARS references?

stan4d_steph
12-31-2014, 06:01 PM
I saw it during the soft opening and it was pretty awful, but they were selling a lot of alcohol, so... SUCCESS!

candles71
12-31-2014, 07:29 PM
What's the wampa and the rancor??? Are those STAR WARS references? Yes

*Nala*
01-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Are the FP for the show linked with the system?

Yes they are. I heard someone asking a CM while I got our FPs and he said they are on the grid.

Seashellmama
01-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Wait, what? Seriously? The Animation Academy drawing is ONLY doing Olaf and Marshmallow?? Oy. My Frozen-loving artist 13yo will not be happy... she'll want to draw Marshmallow (which we haven't done), but gone will be the ambition to spend one whole day JUST doing drawing academy. If that really continues out until May 15 (nearly to the SoCalSelect summer blockout!)... dang, dude. Those poor artist CMs will be driven mad.

Gullywhumper
01-01-2015, 04:19 PM
In the snow play area there is also a gazebo with entertainment. I saw Kikka and the Fjords yesterday and it is a cute little show, if a little corny. Kikka is very cute herself (think Tinkerbell) and interacts with the children in the audience. She mentioned another act coming on soon and that they were very funny, but I didn't wait. I didn't see any published schedule, so I don't know who comes on when.

Malcon10t
01-01-2015, 05:17 PM
One person who doesn't think I'm always wrong - win for me! :)Two....

With the exit to the drawing class wrapping around that room, there isn't a lot of room to go past those display cases and they weren't very deep. I know, I know, Tinkerbell can do anything. ;)The exit now heads out the entrance. The entrance line starts on the main floor, and once everyone exits, they move you into the queue.

candles71
01-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Two....

The exit now heads out the entrance. The entrance line starts on the main floor, and once everyone exits, they move you into the queue.
Ah. That would give it enough room, if they took the ramp out. I am really pretty good with spacial relations, so that makes more sense.

cstephens
01-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Had a chance to sit in the Animation building on NYE and they've added "In Summer" and "Let It Go" (a shortened version) to the film loop. I love seeing the concept drawings, especially of how Elsa was conceived early on.

MidwayManiac
01-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Go ahead and add the Anna and Elsa Meet 'n Greet Fastpass to the list of "Fastpass that's really not a fast ..... fastpass." In the vein of Soarin' or Autopia when they're busy where you continue to wait 20+ minutes minimum after entering the fastpass queue as opposed to fastpasses like Big Thunder and Splash which are actually speedy.

Now, granted, people who are conditioned to stories of the Anne/Elsa meet n' greet being a 2-3 hour wait in its early pre-fastpass days, getting through the line in 30 minutes via a fastpass is a godsend.
We felt kind of duped, though, since we'd almost never knowingly wait 30 minutes, much less 2-3 hours for anything in the parks. The way the CM's were out shilling Fastpasses in front of Animation Building, you get the impression there is a shortage of people lining up to meet the princesses. That's certainly not the case. Our Fastpass appointment said 9:10 and we arrived on time; 35 minutes and one frustrated 7 year old and another grumpy 3 year old later, we made it to the front of the line.

And don't get me started on the availability of the princesses. Only one of them was there. God help me if I remember which one. Pretty sure we were there for the Anna AND Elsa meet 'n greet, not the Anna OR Elsa meet 'n greet. One of the rumors circulating while the line was at a standstill was the princesses were taking one of their mandated breaks. Understood. I'm not advocating Disney run a sweatshop and deny employees breaks, but Disney should certainly be able to minimize or eliminate altogether the number of fastpasses set to return on/ around said breaks or bring in other actresses to alternate during the breaks.

Sorry, but this thing was lame the night we were there.

Teddi
01-04-2015, 10:32 AM
On the 2nd the Sing along show in the old muppets theater was on the FP grid. Which I was shocked as this isn't officially opened yet and being unaware of that we'd already snagged FPs for soarin. Ok fine but here's the rub- they didn't have a stand by line open. Which means at that time they weren't FPs they were tickets. So since I was then blocked out for two hours from getting a FP that meant the next two shows were a no go with a "we'll probably open a standby line". Thankfully they did- and let the first 150 in to the next (1:30) showing. By the time we were waiting in line after 1- the FPs were already for the 3:30 show. This really can wipe out your ability to do anything other than one regular FP and the frozen show FP. Right now this set up sucks. They should do it either FP required (with the option to pick your show time) or reduce the number of FPs so there is always an actual standby line.

I'm still confused on the Olaf meet and greet. A CM inside said to wait outside to get a pager and return time. She said the return times were about two hours later. They had lists at the inside part- but the outside wait was posted at 60 mins. Today the outside wait is two hours.

bumblebeeonarose
01-05-2015, 06:52 AM
Go ahead and add the Anna and Elsa Meet 'n Greet Fastpass to the list of "Fastpass that's really not a fast ..... fastpass." In the vein of Soarin' or Autopia when they're busy where you continue to wait 20+ minutes minimum after entering the fastpass queue as opposed to fastpasses like Big Thunder and Splash which are actually speedy.

Now, granted, people who are conditioned to stories of the Anne/Elsa meet n' greet being a 2-3 hour wait in its early pre-fastpass days, getting through the line in 30 minutes via a fastpass is a godsend.
We felt kind of duped, though, since we'd almost never knowingly wait 30 minutes, much less 2-3 hours for anything in the parks. The way the CM's were out shilling Fastpasses in front of Animation Building, you get the impression there is a shortage of people lining up to meet the princesses. That's certainly not the case. Our Fastpass appointment said 9:10 and we arrived on time; 35 minutes and one frustrated 7 year old and another grumpy 3 year old later, we made it to the front of the line.

And don't get me started on the availability of the princesses. Only one of them was there. God help me if I remember which one. Pretty sure we were there for the Anna AND Elsa meet 'n greet, not the Anna OR Elsa meet 'n greet. One of the rumors circulating while the line was at a standstill was the princesses were taking one of their mandated breaks. Understood. I'm not advocating Disney run a sweatshop and deny employees breaks, but Disney should certainly be able to minimize or eliminate altogether the number of fastpasses set to return on/ around said breaks or bring in other actresses to alternate during the breaks.

Sorry, but this thing was lame the night we were there.

We saw Anna and Elsa at Disneyland in December. We had the same issue with the FP return line. And I found it especially annoying because I waited nearly 40 minutes to get the FP in the morning and then we had to wait more than 30 minutes in the return line. Which means I spent an hour in line to see them, my kids and husband didn't have to do the first 40 minutes, but it's still quite a wait to see them. As far as both princesses go, I read something that said you are no longer guaranteed to see them both. It is Anna or Elsa. That is a HUGE disappointment.

I'd like to meet Olaf too, but supposedly they give you a pager and it only works in the general area. There is NOT enough to do in Hollywood land to wait around for 2 hours. I don't know when we'll be going again though, so perhaps the times will adjust.

Teddi
01-05-2015, 01:11 PM
I'd like to meet Olaf too, but supposedly they give you a pager and it only works in the general area. There is NOT enough to do in Hollywood land to wait around for 2 hours. I don't know when we'll be going again though, so perhaps the times will adjust.

Yesterday it was 120 minutes outside wait to get the pager to come back in 2-3 hours. Meanwhile there was 1-2 CMs managing the exterior wait, and then another 2 to manage the interior wait. I have a really great idea. Put them in Olaf costumes, and instantly the wait is down to 60 minutes.

We ended up not seeing AnnaORElsa- we used the freebie FPs and came back at the 3:30 return time and I waited in the line, moving about 1/3 of the length of the queue at 4:00 because it was clear we weren't gonna be done in time to use our Soarin FPS.

I really think they need to change this up. ESP the Frozen Sing-Along being on the FP system. How about we stop calling them FastPasses (hey, you can even still call them FP's backstage) but yes, I need the psychological change- call them SHOWPASSES. Change the signage and the printing (I'm sure it can be done). And the WOC ones can be called SHOWpasses, and the F! can be show passes and the Frozen thing and any other show can be called a SHOWPASS. Go ahead and put 100% of the seating for Frozen on the SP, and give the option to select your show for the day. Pad your #'s progressively as the day goes on (like 100% plus 1% for the first show and by the last show of the night 100% plus 10%). Just say "showpass required". You know? Ticket required to see the show. In fact, do it for all the shows- Mickeys Map, Alladdin, etc. If they want to retrain us, make us pay for dinner packages, and heck next up "experience packages" just make it easier and consistent and let us pre-plan.

DisneyMouse
01-05-2015, 02:10 PM
A couple of people have mentioned the Olaf line being long. I'm just wondering if anyone had an opinion on best strategy for meeting him in particular but the whole CA Adventure Frozen experience. We are going to be there during the week after MLK day. I'm guessing mornings are going to be our best bet? I was thinking on a non early entry day for CA Adventure (we are not staying on property) we would open that park and head straight for Olaf. We don't care to do the snow play area since we have our own snow fun where we live, but would like to do the Sing Along and meet the sisters (although we will probably only do it once even if we don't see both). Have the long line been pretty much right away in the mornings? Or are done of these waits posted here later in the day? Of course hoping for this to be a very off season.