PDA

View Full Version : Depressing Days at Disneyland?

wood_is_mine
10-20-2003, 07:38 PM
The most depressing day at Disneyland I ever had was when my middle school choir went to DL. I had been with a group of about ten kids for the past few hours. As we were waiting in line for the Matterhorn, I suddenly realized that I had a crush on one of the guys in my group- a big crush. Within an hour, he had asked out another girl in the group. I was very sad. To make it worse, I was in the car right behind the new couple, and I got to watch them leaning against each other the whole time. And for the rest of the night, everyone in my group except for me and two other girls seemed to be forming couples.

sleepyjeff
10-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Oh, your bringing up some bad memories for me. When I was in Middle School...about seven years before the starter of this thread was even born......about two thirds of my school belonged to the choir. I, however, took typing as me elective. When it was announced that the Choir would be going to Disneyland......................well you can imagine my torment.

It was even worse when they got back.........all the stories and adventures they had....boy was I jealous....so jealous that once out of high school, I have been to a Disney Park, on average, once every 11 months(don't laugh ap holders, I live 991 miles away).

MouseWife
10-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I always become depressed when I am walking towards the exit for the last time of a visit. I keep thinking "I can go back in! For just a little bit longer!!"

MammaSilva
10-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I always become depressed when I am walking towards the exit for the last time of a visit. I keep thinking "I can go back in! For just a little bit longer!!"

Oh MouseWife I knew we were soul sisters! The very first night I took wannabe-disneygeek... we sat outside City Hall and ate ice cream during that hour of 'This concludes Disneylands Operating Day' the shops will be open another hour for your shopping convienance.....and even then knowing I was coming back the next day... saddness... as we walk towards the gate each night!

Wishful
10-20-2003, 10:30 PM
I'd actually blocked this memory from my mind - and where's the Grad Night Pooh I bought that year?!?!

I was 16, graduating from high school (don't ask, just go to the "now-I'm-a-secretary-with-the-IQ-of-a-rocket- scientist" forum) on my second date with the cute son of the district superintendent, and another female friend who had graduated a year earlier. This was my first trip to DL in like 6 years, so I was looking forward to it. We were all dressed up, got to the park around 8 or 10 and took off from there.

After a while it turned out I wanted to do more stuff than my two friends did, so we mutually "lost" each other around midnight and I spent the rest of the night/morning wandering around the park by myself. I think that's when I bought my Pooh to keep me company. That night was not made for a threesome.

You couldn't leave once you were there, and I couldn't find anyone from my school so I was stuck. Now that I think about it, it was very grown-up of me not to call my parents and beg them to come get me.

I was wearing this frilly dress that was not ride-friendly, and painful shoes, and I don't rememebr riding anything except for the train...did I ride that all night? I remember one of our chaperones seeing me and saying, "Look at that poor girl."

There are some kick-butt photos of me though, I must have taken them when there was no line...I looked pretty good back then, no acne (I have it now *sigh*) I was skinny (won't go there), and well hell it was my first photo with Mickey!

I think it was depressing because the people I wanted to be there with didn't share in what I wanted to do (God only knows now what that was), I didn't know anyone else to hang out with, and I really wanted to have fun but didn't.

Even today no one I know really shares my interest in the Disney universe (part business interest, part I love Eeyore interest) except for my mom, and she's in her own little world of pins :)

OK now I'm really depressed...I hope I can find my Pooh, I rememeber I had it for a long time...Grad Night was 18 years ago!

averagecuppajoe
10-20-2003, 10:34 PM
In 1979, the year I was going into junior high I went to Disneyland whith our local YMCA camp(Norcal). It was fantastic.

Only thing that went wrong was on the first day of the trip. As soon as we arrived, my friends lost me running off to those stupid boats. Three hundred and fifty miles from home and I'm by myself at DL. To top that off I had the largest canker sore of my life, I could hardly move my mouth to talk or eat. I made the best of it. I didn't find my party until shortly before close.

Fortunately, the rest of the week long trip went pretty well. (I was severly sun burned and not realizing this, took an extra long hot soothing shower. I couldn't sleep that night I was in so much pain.) This was the first time I had really done anything without any members of my family around. It was great, no parents. Only problem with that is, not having the parents around who simply tell you or give you some pain relief medicine. If only I'd known pain relief was a pill away.

All in all, escaping from home with all the normal teen angst with my parents behind me, it was one of the best times of my life.

MouseWife
10-21-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by MammaSilva
Oh MouseWife I knew we were soul sisters!

;)

Well, at least I don't really cry now.....not more than a tear anyways.....maybe just a lump in my throat.... :)

cstephens
10-21-2003, 10:19 AM
The last day of Festival of Fools.

The day after the last day of Festival of Fools.

Andrew
10-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

"... or ever again!"

I agree.

wood_is_mine
10-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Now I'm always a bit sad whenever I go to DL, but at least I have my friends with me now. It's not the end of the world, though. On the first day of high school, I discovered the same guy was sitting right near me in one of my classes! Sigh.

SueKruse
10-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
The last day of Festival of Fools.

Yeah, what she said.

merlinjones
10-23-2003, 09:57 PM
When Skyway suddenly disappeared.

When DCA opened (actually it was a preview night).

When InnerSpace closed.

When Tomorrowland '98 opened/riding Rocket Rods.

When Captain Hook's Pirate Ship died an accidental death.

When Swiss Family Robinson were kicked out of their treehouse home.

When Tarzan moved in.

When I rode Winnie-the-Pooh.

When I saw Disney Afternoon Avenue and Gummy glen plywood cutouts.

When they painted Small World in pastel colors.

When they painted Tomorrowland '98/Space Mountain.

When The Main Street Electrical Parade glowed away forever.

When I saw Light Magic.

When I saw a giant ferris wheel in front of the castle for State Fair.

When they changed the Sleeping Beauty Castle dioramas from flats to Barbie-style.

And most of all, seeing Mary Blair's mural on the InnerSpace building with a stake driven through it and broken tiles everywhere.

sleepyjeff
10-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

When I saw Light Magic.

That was more scary than sad;)

Morrigoon
10-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Does magic kingdom in FL count? It was my 18th birthday (which, btw, is in February), and windy (note that I have bad allergies). We tried to visit MGM, but the wind made it too miserable, and my allergies were acting up something fierce. My mom and dad finally gave up and said they were going back to the hotel, leaving me all alone (on my 18th birthday, remember!). Depressed, I decided to head over to the magic kingdom. I got a chocolate chip ice cream cone from the ice cream place (if memory serves, it's where our photo shop is), and crossed to the hub.

This pigeon swoops down and knocks my ice cream off the cone! About 10 other pigeons rush in and start eating it!

That was it for me, I broke down crying after that (hey, I'm a bit emotional, mmmkay?) Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to go to FL since, so for the last 8 years, that's what I remember of the place!

Did I ever mention how much I really truly hate birds?