PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay?

wendybeth
10-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Hi all! I'm just looking for a little advice; actually, I need help making up my indecisive little mind...:rolleyes: We are planning a trip to DL around the second week of March- we're trying to time it for the Deaf Awareness Day, but it hasn't been scheduled yet. We would like to stay at a Disney property, but if no good deals are available we are probably going to stay off-property. I'm kind of stuck between the Sheraton Anaheim and the Candy Cane Inn. The Sheraton has a larger pool, larger rooms and room service. The Candy Cane has premium rooms that sound kind of interesting, a breakfast buffet , are closer than the Sheraton, and have their own shuttle. If anyone has stayed at either or has any insights that may help me decide I would appreciate their input!

fairytalelover
10-20-2003, 02:15 PM
We've stayed at both. I would reccomend the Candy Cane. I liked Sheraton Anaheim a lot. However, it depends on if you want to save some money. In my opinion, the Candy Candy Inn is more value for your money. They have this great pool up on the roof with a beautiful view of DL and DCA, especially at night with all the lights on. Also, the rooms are nice and clean. They have a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer in every room and covered parking. They have complimentary breakfast although we ususally go to the restaurants next door. That is another plus: their location is much, much better than the Sheraton. They are right across the street from DL and next to a bunch of restaurants, mini marts, etc.....very convenient. When we went to the Sheraton, we came back late at night and were starving but room service was closed and there were no restaurants near by (within walking distance). And of course, it costs less, especially if you book online or use your AAA discount.

wendybeth
10-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Fairytalelover! I admit I have been leaning toward staying at the Candy Cane Inn, and as long as there are restaurants nearby we shouldn't miss room service... I've read a lot of positive reviews on the CCI, and only a few negative, so I know we won't be disappointed. Thanks for your help!:cool:

keggyandbobert
10-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Is the Candy Cane in walkable distance to DL? We are planning a trip for this Feb and we don't want to rent a car or have to take a shuttle.
Thanks,
Kelly

fairytalelover
10-21-2003, 08:48 AM
You are very welcome Wendybeth.

Yes the CCI is directly across the street, within walking distance from DL, DCA an DTD. That is why it is so popular. You don't even need a shuttle. There is a walkway over to DL, very convenient. In my opinion CCI is the best choice, especially if you are going with kids. Everything is put so conveniently within walking distance next to you from IHOP to McDonalds and a bunch of other dining choices.

But, check their prices online first. You can get some very cheap prices. Or if you call in your reservation use your AAA card.

wendybeth
10-21-2003, 09:47 AM
I went ahead and booked online at their site. I reserved a premium room for five nights at $122.00 a night- I'll keep an eye on prices and if they drop I'll change reservations... Even at $122, it's a bargain- we paid more than double for that at the DLH last year. With the premium room you get breakfast delivered, so I'll get my roomservice fix! Thanks for your help, FTL!

fairytalelover
10-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by wendybeth
I went ahead and booked online at their site. I reserved a premium room for five nights at $122.00 a night- I'll keep an eye on prices and if they drop I'll change reservations... Even at $122, it's a bargain- we paid more than double for that at the DLH last year. With the premium room you get breakfast delivered, so I'll get my roomservice fix! Thanks for your help, FTL!

We had a regular room with 2 queen sized beds and that is available currently for $54.00 online. I am not sure what a premium room is though.

Kwyjibo
10-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Yes the CCI is directly across the street, within walking distance from DL, DCA an DTD.

Fairytalelover, are you thinking about the Carousel Inn which is across the street?

fairytalelover
10-21-2003, 10:59 AM
OOPS!! I have been talking about the Carousel Inn this entire time!!! Sorry Wendybeth. I keep mixing those two up.:(

MammaSilva
10-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Well I am a little late here, but... over the last 10 years and many many trips to the park, we've stayed at several properties, including the Carousel and I have to say it's the ONE that we all agreed that we'd never ever stay at again .....several reasons.... our experience may vary from other folks ... but here goes..

*first of all, the maid service was so bad, that we came back to the rooms at 5 and our rooms STILL weren't done

*We paid for a rollaway, and had to wait til Midnight for them to finally bring said bed

*the maintance guys decided that they'd go on break, while cleaning the pool, somehow it overflowed and we had cascades of water coming over the sides of the roof

*the free breakfast, while itself was the standard, sweetrolls, coffee toast, juice was so 'controlled. Now granted I can see hotels not wanting you to stock up for the winter on their goodies, but the idea behind these things is to save time and energy in the mornings. Our normal proceedure.... one of the adults goes to the breakfast room gathers up the food and brings it back and feeds everyone while we're getting ready. NOT at the Carousel, we had 'breakfast' tickets that showed how many were in our room (not a prob here) but when I went to get the food, I was told NO food can be taken OUT of the room, every guest MUST come there and eat and you have to come together so they can match the numbers to your room. .......

Granted every hotel goes thru changes and this might not be the case currrently, it's been a few years since we stayed at this property. But I can't think of anything that would entice me to try them twice after our first go round.

wendybeth
10-21-2003, 12:54 PM
FTL- Lol! Np, but I was wondering about the pool on the roof reference... Even so, the CCI is closer, and has more restaraunts, etc nearby so we went ahead with that. Tyvm anyways! :cool:

AVP
10-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey Wendy,

Looks like you already made ressies, but I wanted to point you to the fabulous MousePlanet Restaurant and Hotel Review system. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi)

The Candy Cane Inn (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlra_candycaneinn) has an average rating of 4 Planets, based on ten reader-submitted reviews.

The Sheraton Anaheim Hotel (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrsheratonanaheimhotel) has an average rating of 5 Planets, based on three reviews.

The Carousel Inn and Suites (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=carouselinnandsuites) has received seven reviews, and has an average rating of 4 Planets.

The comments may give you a better idea of which hotel to pick, and advice about each property. Be sure to submit your own reviews when you return, to help future travelers!

AVP

wendybeth
10-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks, AVP- actually, I have read them, and have contributed reviews for the DLH and Holiday Inn at the Park! It was researching lodging for our first trip to DL in 2001 that led me to Mouseplanet, and MP fast became my favorite Disney website....:D

kisroo
10-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Can-dy Cane, Can-dy Cane, Can-dy Cane!! I'm a hotel snob~it's a Disney hotel or the Candy Cane Inn for us if we can at all swing it. We've "bargained" and stayed at the Carousel Inn once....once. Good choic WendyBeth~I don't think you'll be disappointed here. Oh, and the difference between the Premium room and the Standard is about 2 feet width and length and I believe the Premium rooms have a fridge in them also. Have a great visit!
~kisroo:)

wendybeth
10-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Kisroo! I am kind of a hotel snob too; I like a nice place, even if we are not going to be in the room all that much.... One selling point about the premium room (besides rmservice breakfast) was the vcr; my daughter got bored with the tv last year and we spent a fortune on pay per view!