PDA

View Full Version : Millionaire: Time eaters

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

tod
10-20-2003, 10:00 AM
This is a personal rant.

Twice in the last two weeks I have seen contestants at "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire -- Play It!" deliberately eating up every second of their time in the Hot Seat.

The Lovely Mrs. tod, as it happens, came in #2 to one of these jokers last week, a teenage girl who was seriously overmatched by most of the questions (how she got on top of the Leader Board I'll never know) and stalled her way along until she had to be held over at the end of the show, when The Lovely Mrs. tod was #1 in the ranking.

Yesterday, she was aced again by another time-eater, a guy who declined the Hot Seat earlier in the day but took it at the 5:00 show, mumbling his answers with one second on the clock even on the easiest first-round questions. He ate up the whole half-hour with these stalling tactics, plus a particularly nasty one where he capitalized on the fact that the "B" answer was "Eight" so his slurred response could be taken as "A" or "Eight." (They replayed the tape back at the control booth and they still couldn't make it out: He got a do-over.) Again, The Lovely Mrs. tod was #1 after the French horns did their time's-up war whoop, getting a congratulatory nod and a "Good job!" from host Ken, who delayed his exit to see where the #1 player was sitting.

I'll admit I've gotten a lot of stuff from "Millionaire" (The million-point Bahamas trip, courtesy of The Walt Disney Company, is tentatively scheduled for next March.) but I play fair. I may take time giving an answer, but I give something back: Once when I was asked what was on the bottom of a question mark, I thanked them for putting a question mark on the screen. (Got the laugh.) I don't just eat up time to keep my face up there: It's a show, not a million-dollar mirror.

[And just to emphasize it's a show, the Cast Members told me that if I get to the million-point question again, feel free to go for it: I can't win another trip before February, but it's okay to play for the million. Agan, putting on a show.]

Anyway, I just wanted to rant about the time-eaters. Thanks for listening.

--T
:fez:

DJ_MENTOS
10-20-2003, 11:18 AM
What I dont like is almost always there are only 2 contestants per show. I wish they could fit in 3... Oh well. I still haven't gotten in the hot seat. Maybe next time.

Hey tod: When you are playing along with the contestants, when should you start pushing the button?

Demigod121
10-20-2003, 11:23 AM
I've been in the hot seat once, and when I played, I started pushing the answer button as soon as I knew the answer.

-Demigod
(sad that he cannot play 'Millionaire' anymore cause his wife works for da mouse!)

tod
10-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by DJ_MENTOS
Hey tod: When you are playing along with the contestants, when should you start pushing the button?

Depends on how you want to play.

You can start pushing the button as fast as you can as soon as you know the answer.
Or, if somebody nearby is stealing your answers, cover the keypad with your hand and start pushing the right button with your thumb as fast as you can right when "C" is revealed. That's when the lights go on.
Remember to be willing to sacrifice some speed points to get it right. A fast answer that's wrong gets no points: a slow answer that's right gets the question's face value + 1000 points for each whole unused second + one point for each unused 1/1000th of a second.

--T
eligible again on Tuesday

UncleGDogWord
10-20-2003, 01:13 PM
The first time I saw the show this punk 12 year old got into the seat. After the Softball question he just streched it out. Eventual at the 8000 point he blew it then came in the horns.

When I got to be in the seat I answered as fast as I could and if I didn't know I took my time. Of coarse I blew the 32000 question, but I got a HAT!

millionairegirl
10-20-2003, 01:31 PM
I've never seen anyone stall on the lower tier questions, and I would be pretty annoyed if they did! I think the hosts eat up the most time though. Especially Ellen, she just rambles and rambles when she is the warm up.

JazzBaby
10-20-2003, 02:01 PM
I too have been in the Hot Seat and managed to climb to 250,000. I don't feel I rushed or was rushed and still managed to leave room for another player after me. What I didn't do was wait until there were 3 seconds left on the clock if I knew the answer. Frankly, I didn't think my big 'ol face looked so attractive on that great big monitor that I wanted to prolong the picture!

mlnreplyer
10-20-2003, 03:03 PM
I think I was there...was that the guy who declined when he got #1 the previous show? Man, he was annoying. He didn't even blink. Amazing how long forty-five seconds can be...

END OF LINE

kawfeadikt
10-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Never been into Millionaire, so can you explain What is the Point of Stalling?

timl33
10-20-2003, 03:28 PM
There isn't a point to stalling. However, if done enough, stalling might prevent a second or third person from getting into the hot seat. I've been to millionaire shows where there was only 1 person, mainly because the host, contestant and phone-a-stranger took up way too much time. Whoever was #1 at the end of the show must have been ticked off.

Originally posted by kawfeadikt

tod
10-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by kawfeadikt

My feeling is that it's a way for people to stretch their moment in the spotlight. In the case of that dim teenager, I think she was stalling because she didn't know the answers, so she could get as much screen time as possible.

The other guy, you got me. He's certainly smart enough -- he declined the Hot Seat earlier in the day -- so maybe he was relishing being the spoiler. Or maybe he thought they would just give him the trip if they called time at the 125,000-point question.

--T
Hoping I'm not behind one of those jerkwads when I'm eligible. It may not be pretty.

tombgolfing
10-21-2003, 09:39 PM
We were at that show also. The guy you said was playing slow is a really nice guy. He would never try to hog a whole show on purpose. I agree with you that people that try to get help from the audience by stalling aren't playing fair. But, Mike is a just good smart player and was just enjoying his time in the hot seat.

Tom
20th Millionaire Play It Winner

tod
10-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by tombgolfing
We were at that show also. The guy you said was playing slow is a really nice guy. He would never try to hog a whole show on purpose. I agree with you that people that try to get help from the audience by stalling aren't playing fair. But, Mike is a just good smart player and was just enjoying his time in the hot seat.

Tom
20th Millionaire Play It Winner

Okay, you say he's a nice guy, I'll buy that, all I want to know is why did he decline at the earlier show, and what was with that "A"/"eight" business?

Enjoying one's time in the spotlight is one thing, but between the cheaters and the time-eaters The Lovely Mrs. tod is thisclose to vowing that she's never setting foot in the place again. This is not good. We may want to go to the Bahamas again after that first trip...

--T
#26, and I have the gold pin to prove it

tombgolfing
10-23-2003, 11:45 PM
He declined in the early shows because he wanted to have Ken Parks as his host.I know some good players who will play slower so they don't have to decline.I personally like getting a decline and it olny takes a moment to go to no. two.His ..a...eight answer happened because he always gives the written answer instead of saying ABC or D.He was being honest when he said that he had said eight.There is no rule that says that you have to say the letter.Anyway I don't think that it is a good idea to say the answer .Got into the hotseat today . went with my wife Karen. We left our new baby boy at grandma's .Missed the125,000 point question about "who was the father of a certian type of phycholgy.Someone named Watson.We went on our cruise last jan. saw the space shuttle being launched.I went scuba diving in Nassau. It was a little cold but we had a great time .Hope you have a wonderful trip also.I just got my 1.000,000 point pin about a month ago sent buy cast member Tom. Hope to see you at DCA soon.bye

tombgolfing
10-24-2003, 12:00 AM
no wonder I missed thta ques. I can't even spell psychology.John Watson the Father of Behaviorism. I picked Alder. Freud was up there I knew he wasn't right.

JazzBaby
10-24-2003, 08:26 AM
It looks as if Who Want's To Be A Millionaire Play It! is no longer an attraction but a forum for a small percentage of AP holders who seem to consider this attraction their personal property. The admission that someone actually manipulated his appearance to gain the maximum benefits for himself is proof of that.

I'm amazed that a group of fans has the arrogance to assume they will consistantly be on top of the leader board and take it upon themselves to pick and choose when, and with whom, they will play.

There is no longer any fun in playing. It appears to have become an instrument for a small group of people who, in essence, run the show. I guess someone was sick or you were all inelligible the day I made the hot seat, almost a year ago. I realize now that there is NO chance of my ever being there again. I'm through playing.

:crying:

tombgolfing
10-24-2003, 09:26 AM
hey Jazz there have been 7,ooo+ players in the hotseat in two years. Lots of opportunity for all to play.Its harder to get in the hotseat on weekends but that is beause of the crowds.Don't be mad because we like to play alot.It is just a game at an amusement park .For us it is a great way to ease the pressure of a busy life.I work with abused children in Chino,C.A. and I can feel the stress go away as I come through the gate .of Disney.It took me 10 times in the hotseat to get to a 1.ooo.ooo point ques. and alot of luck to get that high at all,but that is what is fun about playing a game .I sure hope you don't stop.:)

wosie
10-24-2003, 12:46 PM
I don't think it's fair to blame AP's for taking over the show. I am NOT an AP holder and we were just in Disneyland this week. On Tuesday I was number 2 for the HOT SEAT before the show ended and on Wednesday I actually MADE it into the hot seat (blew the 32000 question!). My son who is 12, was 2nd for fastest finger and about 8th on the top 10.

I think it's all luck of the draw on the questions, you just have to know when to push the button.

I had a lot of fun and if we go back I will certainly try again.

Was anybody there the day that the man from Singapore didn't know the answer to: Which of these disney characters is not a cat?
Lucifer
Oliver
- can't remember the third-
Mickey???
He actually used a life line for this one... it was pretty funny...:D :D

JazzBaby
10-24-2003, 02:07 PM
No, that is not my point. My point is, how many have been cheated out of their time in the hot seat because of ineligible contestants who play anyway? How many have lost their chance because a "regular" who knows the answers and gets into the hot seat so often that the hosts and guests recognize him takes 35 minutes to answer 10 questions? How can you call it a "game" when people claim to be ineligible when they win the hot seat in order to get someone they like better later on? I personally came in #2 to a contestant who took the last half of one show and almost 20 minutes of the next show to play, waited through her giggling, joking, telling the host he was cute, asking for water, then watched her come back in from the prize place empty handed. Not only was she ineligible, I overheard a conversation indicating that she had cheated to get there.

I'm glad you're having fun. While it was nice to have a CM stop me and say "you were robbed" it doesn't change the fact that many people don't play fair. No, I'm not mad. But I'm not going back, either. If anyone wants me, I'll be feeding the swans. Across the plaza.

:)

tombgolfing
10-24-2003, 03:09 PM
I am sorry thats the way you feel, but as I said before we play for fun. I wasn't elligable to win the trip for a whole year. I felt like it was only fair that I let other people get in the hot seat during that time, everythough I could, but couldn't win the trip, so I kept playing but declined the hot seat each time. The people that we know that aren't elligble decline.

And, if someone is a good player, then why can't they work it out to be able to play with the host of their choice. Everyone has the same advantage .. the fastest clicker wins.! My wife, Karen, actually studies things like mythology, birthstones, coins, King Aurthor, inventions and anniversary gifts. She evens goes online and find out about cartoon characters, like Strawberry Shortcake and other 80s cartoons.

The bottom line is that we like to have fun, but I guess each person has their own way of having fun, but it isn't fun if you get frustrated there.

We would love for your to join our group some time and play with us instead of going to feed the swans. We love the wishing well over there by the castle. My wife sings along in an out-of-tune voice..

All honestly, we are sorry that you feel the way you do and hope that someday you will come up an introduce yourself to us (vise versa, but we don't know who you are). and play with us. We have made a lot of great friends at Millionaire.

Go to the mountians they will bring you peace .John Muir

BTT
10-24-2003, 04:20 PM
JazzBaby...you seem to be mixing points...first it was APers who play regularly, and then it became people who waste time. Either way, it seems the people who should be chastised are those who forget about playing with courtesy. Those who carry an AP AND those who do not.

Originally posted by JazzBaby
Not only was she ineligible, I overheard a conversation indicating that she had cheated to get there.

And now that the door is opened...what did she say to indicate she cheated? If she had, that's an issue for park personnel to respond and react to. Realistically, you've painted yourself into a corner...if you have knowledge of this, you need to let Disney know.

Ben T.

JazzBaby
10-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by BTT
JazzBaby...you seem to be mixing points...first it was APers who play regularly, and then it became people who waste time. Either way, it seems the people who should be chastised are those who forget about playing with courtesy. Those who carry an AP AND those who do not.

Good point, thanks for bringing it up. My problem is with the "time eaters," as Tod called them, the people who waste time in the hot seat and spoil it for others. As it happens, the guy I had problems with self-identified as an AP holder. I guess it wasn't clear. It seems the time-eater was an AP holder, but that doesn't mean that all AP holders are.

I am put off by the admission that he picked and chose his host. I find that arrogant in the extreme, but I suppose that's my problem.

And now that the door is opened...

Are you a lawyer?

what did she say to indicate she cheated? If she had, that's an issue for park personnel to respond and react to. Realistically, you've painted yourself into a corner...if you have knowledge of this, you need to let Disney know.

What I said was I overheard a conversation where somebody said that she had cheated. I heard it while I was walking away. She was not involved in that conversation. I can tell you that she returned to her seat empty-handed, which tells me that she was ineligible.

I don't even know how a person could cheat in there -- and if anybody does know, please spare me the details, I'm quite disgusted enough already, thank you -- so I can't say for sure that she did. She certainly didn't admit it to me, so I have no smoking gun. Only an overheard comment, in passing, from a bystander. At best hearsay and certainly inadmissable in a court of law.

See you by the castle. I'll be the one with the popcorn.

:|

tombgolfing
10-24-2003, 06:17 PM
We don't accept prizes (unless it is a trip) because of tax purposes. If the prizes add up, correct me if I am wrong, over $600 you have to claim them on your taxes. Disney report them. So, before the question is asked, "Then why do you get in the hotseat?" The answer is quite simple, to win the trip!

I am not sure why you feel it is arrogant to pick and choose when you get down there. It does back fires at times - most of the times, but it is worth the risk when you are playing for FUN and go once or twice a week. The key word is FUN!

I do miss Jordan and wish he didn't leave. He was my favt. host, but Mark is growing on me.

But, back to the subject, if you don't play it your decision, but again, you are welcome to hang out with all of us. You haven't invited us to go throw your popcorn to the swans.. Just trying to be nice..

Tom's Wife (Karen)

JazzBaby
10-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by tombgolfing's wife Karen:
We don't accept prizes (unless it is a trip) because of tax purposes.... before the question is asked, "Then why do you get in the hotseat?" The answer is quite simple, to win the trip!

I'll accept that, but in the next paragraph you say:

I am not sure why you feel it is arrogant to pick and choose when you get down there. It does back fires at times - most of the times, but it is worth the risk when you are playing for FUN and go once or twice a week. The key word is FUN!

So, I'm confused. Which is it? To win the trip, or to have "FUN"?

I'll check with the swans and get back to you.

MonorailMan
10-24-2003, 08:36 PM
I think the real goal is to have fun, on the trip. ;) :p