PDA

View Full Version : American flag at Disneyland...

Disney Crone/Kid
09-12-2001, 02:43 PM
at half mast?

Every evening at about a half-hour before sunset, an unpublicized event happens at the Main Street Plaza, in front of the Train Depot, Disneyland, USA . So low-key, I had never heard of this ten-minute Flag Retreat Ceremony before; I suspect I am not alone in my ignorance.

At dusk, Disney security officers march out to the plaza, and after an announcement is made, the American flag is lowered. To the strains of a patriotic song (in the summer months, with a live band; off-season, taped-music), the flag is then folded.

This long-standing tradition will hold special significance to me, given the horrific events of September 11, 2001. I will, next time I'm in the park, make a special effort to observe this ceremony, remember those who have lost so much :crying:, and pray for them with tears in my eyes. Perhaps, you will be moved to do so, too.

- More details on this Flag Retreat Ceremony by Al Lutz are found here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/enter.htm).

- A link to a photo of this Flag Retreat ceremony by disneygeek.com is here (http://www.disneygeek.com/disneyland/parks/entertainment/disneyland/flag.jpg)

In the Community, Lounge section of this board, Dave (Ralph Wiggum) via zapppop made a moving request. As a newbie, it was a while before I got my bearings around here and finally found the Lounge. I thought I'd link that special thread here for newbies still learning the lay of this MousePadland, who might otherwise miss it:

Per Ralph's Request (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2132)

DisneylandBoy
09-12-2001, 05:11 PM
I have never seen the actual flag lowering, but I have seen pics. It seems very sentimental. Next time I go to DL I will be sure to attened it, in honor of those who lost their lives and those who were appart of such a terrible tragedy.:crying:

Ralph Wiggum
09-12-2001, 05:17 PM
It has always been a moving thing for me to see this cerimony at Disneyland but I agree, now it will have a whole new meaning.

TP2000
09-12-2001, 05:38 PM
Disney Crone/Kid, that "patriotic song" that you mentioned during the lowering of the American Flag during the Flag retreat ceremony is popularly known as "our National anthem", the Star Spangled Banner.

After the National anthem, and while the Flag is being folded by the security gaurds, they play Sousa marches over the Town Square PA.

I caught the Flag retreat a few weeks ago, and it was as great as always.

marron-cream
09-12-2001, 06:25 PM
During the flag retreat, cast members on Main Street are required to stop working. We put our hands over our hearts during the Star Spangled Banner. For me, it's always a very powerful, very solemn moment. The music ends and we go back to business.

Invariably there will be a guest who is angry at having to wait the one or two minutes for the national anthem to finish playing. They demand service, NOW. They're ignored, of course.

I hope that for today's flag retreat, there will be no guests like that at Disneyland.

mspangler
09-14-2001, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
It has always been a moving thing for me to see this cerimony at Disneyland but I agree, now it will have a whole new meaning.

I know what you mean. Those few minutes will never be the same. It is always nice to see the ceremony....one of those things that makes Disneyland so special.:)

Disney Crone/Kid
09-17-2001, 10:20 AM
An American flag lifted me out the darkness of these last few days.

It was only a little over a month ago when I had last viewed the finale float of The Electrical Light Parade at DCA: TO HONOR AMERICA. Then, in peacetime, I viewed it with a light heart. In innocence.

Last night, I caught the first glimpse of the approaching float with a heavy heart, tears welling up. This is one long float, extending 108 feet. With every passing foot, I felt my spirits being lifted.

I was dazzled by the American flag of red, white and blue lights, which seemed to shine brighter. I was stirred by the songs, "Oh Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean," "Yankee Doodle" and " The Stars and Stripes Forever"; I had barely listened last time.

I perceived the simulated overhead fireworks as more brilliant and dramatic than before; the American bald eagle bringing up the rear, more symbolic and strong.

I joined the viewing crowd with upbeat, yet respectful applause.

For those in the area, I hope you will experience this uplift for yourself. I assure you, it will be a different experience than your last viewing. For those who are further away, here are a couple of MousePlanet links to photos of TO HONOR AMERICA:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/images/wdwmsep/honor1.jpg

http://www.mouseplanet.com/images/wdwmsep/honor2.jpg

"Oh Columbia, the gem of the ocean, The home of the brave and the free, The shrine of each patriot's devotion, A world offers homage to thee..."

Disney Crone/Kid
09-24-2001, 03:39 PM
Although I have not yet had the chance to witness the retreat ceremony with my own eyes and ears, I have vicariously experienced it via the moving posts written about it here.

Reading an article by MP's David Koenig, I came across a recent beautiful photograph of our flag at half staff at Disney. For those who are afar, here it is. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/m092401.htm)

From what Maleficent wrote in the touching thread, PROUD (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2292), the ceremony has been greatly upgraded from the Cast Member's critical account of 9-14-01 in Mr. Koenig's online column. The CM felt the dead deserved better.

Thanks, Disney Folks, for acting on this right away. Maleficent describes an impressive, sharply executed ceremony with spiffed up uniforms and audience participation in sharp contrast to the makeshift ceremony described by the CM. You proved that Disney is indeed capable of better.

Thumbs up, Disney Folks! You done us proud.

Mouse
09-26-2001, 08:26 AM
The flag retreat has always been taken seriously by the Disneyland Resort. Perhaps guests ignored it or casts treated it an interruption but Security always did their part. Before each ceremony the Security guards can be seen backstage donning the white gloves with which they handle the flag and practicing their steps and gestures. On of the most touching parts about the flag ceremony is that it is not a “show” as many of the things at Disneyland are. Once back stage the guards carrying the flag do not break from their tight formation or structured march. Instead they proceed to their final destination with the flag in the Security office as cast members yield to the procession.

Perhaps in these past few weeks we have all taken more notice of the American Flag and what it represents. The spirit of America has been reawakened and Glory has returned to the red and white and blue.

Polar33
09-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Anyone else notice that Disneyland has taken down the somewhat tacky "Where the Magic Began" banners and Sorcerer hats on the lampposts on Main Street and replaced them with American flags and red white and blue banners? Nice change if you ask me, not only appropriate for the time Main Street represents but for the days we live in now.

Morrigoon
09-26-2001, 10:22 PM
Have they?

What a great idea (hats were cute but cheesy for a long period of time). Good show, Disney!

Maleficent0
09-28-2001, 11:14 AM
Disney Crone/Kid...thanks for the kind words. It's nice to hear that others enjoyed the post. And yeah, I know I have to fix the spelling on my account name. :) You'd think I'd have learned how to spell Maleficent by now. ;)

Mouse, while I believe you are correct in saying that security has taken this job seriously, the is a marked difference in their execution and appearance as of late. I specifically remember a colors ceremony performed about 2 months ago where the participants, were, well, clumsy. Everything was done, but I wouldn't describe it as impressive.

The last time I saw the ceremony, the only way that you could have differentiated between a Marine detail and the Disneyland personnel was the uniform. I hope that they keep up the *OUTSTANDING* job!

I'm going this weekend to video tape the ceremony and I hope to have it online somewhere for those folks that don't get the wonderful opportunity to enjoy this unique event.

I also saw the TO HONOR AMERICA float, and everyone on the parade route stood, cheered and clapped. Very, very cool.