PDA

View Full Version : So what is Royal 21 - a high-end restaurant open to the public

olegc
12-10-2014, 09:42 PM
according to this story online - the 21 Royal street construction currently going on is to construct an entrance to a new dining room. Sounds like it was the old Trophy Room at the old Club 33 from the location...

STORY IS HERE (http://disneydose.com/disneyland-alcohol-new-high-end-restaurant/#axzz3LZJhL4fz)

of course - totally unconfirmed...

oregontraveler
12-11-2014, 02:48 AM
Other than the actual Courtyard restoration (which is happening), I don't believe anything else in this article.

Malcon10t
12-11-2014, 05:41 AM
according to this story online - the 21 Royal street construction currently going on is to construct an entrance to a new dining room. Sounds like it was the old Trophy Room at the old Club 33 from the location...

STORY IS HERE (http://disneydose.com/disneyland-alcohol-new-high-end-restaurant/#axzz3LZJhL4fz)

of course - totally unconfirmed...It is not the old trophy room. That is a kitchen now.

What I have heard from friends is it is a small area off the Dream Suite. It was announced to Club members Tuesday as a place for larger gatherings (16 -20 people) to replace the Trophy room since they no longer have a place to host private parties at the club. I don't know if it will be open to the public.

olegc
12-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Other than the actual Courtyard restoration (which is happening), I don't believe anything else in this article.
yeah - like I said unconfirmed but having a separate entrance does offer some consideration. And - its not from the USUAL rumor site.

It is not the old trophy room. That is a kitchen now.

What I have heard from friends is it is a small area off the Dream Suite. It was announced to Club members Tuesday as a place for larger gatherings (16 -20 people) to replace the Trophy room since they no longer have a place to host private parties at the club. I don't know if it will be open to the public.

yeah - thinking about it you're right. Thanks for clarifying for me (since I am not a Club member its based on book-knowledge).

cstephens
12-11-2014, 07:35 AM
The address number of the location would pretty much be the indicator of where this new room is, given where the old Club 33 door is located.

The "article" makes me laugh, especially the part where Club 33 members are "Disney royalty". Yeah, no.

Gone2Disneyland
12-11-2014, 07:44 AM
You know what was the first thing I did when I saw this news online yesterday? I came right over here to MousePad to see if anyone would corroborate it!

I've read stories on that site over the past few months, but imo there's a tone by the writers there that seemed more fanboy and pretentious than newsworthy and trustworthy. Plus, this particular article didn't include a specific source link to its information. That was a big red herring for me. I'm glad I popped over here this morning to find my skepticism has company. :) Frankly, until MP verifies if any of the information is true, it's false.

currence
12-11-2014, 08:31 AM
It is not the old trophy room. That is a kitchen now.

Given that private VIP tours were able to (sometimes) make reservations to dine at the club before the remodel, I could see Disney opening it up to anyone who wants to pay the $100ish / per person plus the cost of park admission for a party of 10 or more. I don't see so many people falling into that group that it would displace Club members but I could definitely imagine a rehearsal dinner taking place there before a Disney wedding.

olegc
12-11-2014, 08:38 AM
The "article" makes me laugh, especially the part where Club 33 members are "Disney royalty". Yeah, no.

OT on - well, to some that's debatable. Many guests and even regulars feel that its out of reach - so royalty comes to mind. Especially for the millions that visit and the smaller number who take advantage of the club. Of course that has been argued ad nauseum - OT Off

I guess its true that Disneyland right now has no larger space for large functions from the public that can be rented. You'd have to go to the hotels. This may also provide space for special event meals - though a dinner in Blue Bayou or inside the Haunted Mansion has been a draw for some time. And with the Train nearby its easier to get folks from the Main entrance to the location.

cstephens
12-11-2014, 08:52 AM
OT on - well, to some that's debatable. Many guests and even regulars feel that its out of reach - so royalty comes to mind.

Disney royalty are the imagineers and others who have contributed to bringing the parks and the films and other properties to life, not someone who pays to join a club. You can't pay an amount to become royalty.

AnotherJenny
12-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Given that private VIP tours were able to (sometimes) make reservations to dine at the club before the remodel, I could see Disney opening it up to anyone who wants to pay the $100ish / per person plus the cost of park admission for a party of 10 or more. I don't see so many people falling into that group that it would displace Club members but I could definitely imagine a rehearsal dinner taking place there before a Disney wedding.

You can already book areas of the parks for private events and meetings. It costs much more per person than a meal at Club 33. They don't need a space the size of the old Trophy Room for that. Renting out a room is something that members used to be able to do and can't right now. If Disney wants to give that option back to the members, more power to them. I wonder how popular a room disconnected from the rest of the club would be. But it does seem like as soon as access to something gets limited, Disney fans get in a frenzy to experience it. So it might be popular for corporate members like the Trophy Room was.

Gone2Disneyland
12-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Inside the Magic (http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/12/21-royal-street-upscale-restaurant-coming-to-disneyland-club-33-members-to-get-first-look-at-new-venue-in-new-orleans-square/) is now reporting it too.

olegc
12-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Inside the Magic (http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/12/21-royal-street-upscale-restaurant-coming-to-disneyland-club-33-members-to-get-first-look-at-new-venue-in-new-orleans-square/) is now reporting it too.

and it looks like they are simply piggy-backing on what the first story shot out. the adage "sources say..." has become very stretched in its definition these days. As with everything, we shall see. Though I guess you can say "another high end location?"

Malcon10t
12-11-2014, 03:23 PM
and it looks like they are simply piggy-backing on what the first story shot out. the adage "sources say..." has become very stretched in its definition these days. As with everything, we shall see. Though I guess you can say "another high end location?"And Disney has corrected the story.

"Update: Disneyland reached out to clarify that 21 Royal Street will not be a new restaurant, but rather a private dining space. It will initially be available to be booked for Club 33 members and their guests and may open to public bookings in the future. The exact space it will occupy could not be confirmed. Disney would not say if the Dream Suite will be repurposed.

21 Royal Street is the name of the new “dining and entertainment venue,” as Disney’s calling it. Much like Club 33, the name comes from a New Orleans Square street address, currently found just down the path from the original Club door and the Blue Bayou."

olegc
12-11-2014, 03:25 PM
And Disney has corrected the story.

"Update: Disneyland reached out to clarify that 21 Royal Street will not be a new restaurant, but rather a private dining space. It will initially be available to be booked for Club 33 members and their guests and may open to public bookings in the future. The exact space it will occupy could not be confirmed. Disney would not say if the Dream Suite will be repurposed.

21 Royal Street is the name of the new “dining and entertainment venue,” as Disney’s calling it. Much like Club 33, the name comes from a New Orleans Square street address, currently found just down the path from the original Club door and the Blue Bayou."

i just saw this announcement as well and was about to post. Yeah - Club 33 needs to expand more....

Malcon10t
12-11-2014, 05:16 PM
i just saw this announcement as well and was about to post. Yeah - Club 33 needs to expand more....I think the bigger issue is corporate accounts (and regular members) have been used to booking out the Trophy Room for employee recognition awards, Christmas parties, company meetings, birthdays, etc... Now, members are limited to parties of 10 in the dining room. I believe the club has been missing out on $$.

Opus1guy
12-11-2014, 08:12 PM
The space is the original dining room from when it was designed as Walt's apartment. Some of you may remember it from the Disney Gallery days as the room that was just off the bar area (where the Gallery's cash register was). You entered from the long hallway that lead to the Royal Courtyard. The balcony of this dining room was referred to as the "A" balcony, if I recall.

The space was not used as part of the Dream Suite.

When INA (Insurance Company of North America) occupied Walt's finished apartment (yes, it was finished) for use as their VIP suite and apartment, this dining room that had a service door leading to Club 33's kitchen, was used as originally planned for Walt's apartment...as a dining room. Elizabeth Taylor and her party were one of many guests who dined in that room in the INA days. It had a gorgeous long dining table in it that was picked out by Lillian Disney. When INA moved out and the Tokyo Disneyland Planning Group moved in, that great table was moved to the Empress Lilly restaurant at Walt Disney World.

You can see Dorthea Redmond's concept painting of this room at the bottom of this page from Club 33's original 1967 prospectus:

http://www.disneylandclub33.com/royalow.jpg

In it you can see waiters entering the room from the Club's kitchen.

Everything old is new again. ;)

Malcon10t
12-12-2014, 09:47 AM
OT on - well, to some that's debatable. Many guests and even regulars feel that its out of reach - so royalty comes to mind. See, the people I know who are members are not "royalty", simply people who have chosen Club 33 as their entertainment. I have friends and relatives who belong to various country clubs. I don't see people calling them "royalty" simply because that is how they spend their funds. I have friends and relatives who have season tickets to various sporting events (my brother in laws season tickets to baseball for 2 seats equals Club 33 pricing.) No one says "royalty" there. Friends I know who are Club 33 members are cops, self employed, retired, farmers, teachers, court reporters, an artist, a musician, a financial planner, and even a few Disney employees. I personally would find it offensive if I were a member, simply because it was how I chose to spend my discretionary funds. The way I see it, it is simply a country club for people who are into Disney.

Toocherie
12-12-2014, 01:11 PM
So it might be popular for corporate members like the Trophy Room was.

Haven't a lot of the corporations that were Club members given up those memberships because of the rules changes restricting how many reservations for non-members they can make? I know a friend of mine had a connection through her financial planner who told her his company either gave up their membership or was limiting its usage to the executive level because of the limitations (whereas previously they had offered it to their clients who expressed an interest). So this may be a way to accommodate some of those companies that are no longer members but still are willing to spend the $$ for their executives and clients.

Malcon10t
12-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Haven't a lot of the corporations that were Club members given up those memberships because of the rules changes restricting how many reservations for non-members they can make?Not that I am aware of. The companies I know of have simply restricted dining. Many did this prior to the restrictions due to guest abuse. For corporations, they get 20 dining reservations per associate (not per company.) For example, Chevron might have 5 associate memberships given to their VPs. Each of those associates would have 20 reservations for unaccompanied dining.

POTCpurist
12-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Disney royalty are the imagineers and others who have contributed to bringing the parks and the films and other properties to life, not someone who pays to join a club. You can't pay an amount to become royalty.

Major concur!!!!! So on point. :)

corona
12-18-2014, 12:29 PM
You can't pay an amount to become royalty.

Guess again. (http://nobility.co.uk/)

cstephens
12-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Guess again. (http://nobility.co.uk/)

Having a title doesn't actually make you royalty. I can add "Dr." to the front of my name but that does not in fact make me a doctor of any sort.

And really, we're going to go there? Being a member of Club 33 doesn't make anyone Disney royalty any more than being an annual passholder or being a DVC owner or being a D23 member makes one Disney royalty.

corona
12-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Oh, yes it does. Sure - you can falsely claim a title of any kind. That is not the case here - genuine royal titles make the owner genuine royalty and - not only in the UK - they can be legitimately purchased.

carolinakid
12-25-2014, 07:42 AM
I don't think having an annual pass or DVC or D23 (I've even got THAT and I'm a Disney nobody!) makes one Disney royalty, they're too common. But being a member of Club 33.....DEFINITELY!

stan4d_steph
12-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Just to bring this back to the subject of the original post: