PDA

View Full Version : Crowds

Pirate33
10-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Don't get to go to DL often as I far away, but went this weekend. I could not believe the crowds! I thought this was off-season. Is HMH responsible?

sleepyjeff
10-19-2003, 03:48 PM
No! It is because there is a severe lack of ride capacity. Hence, it seems very crowded.

To fix:

Disney needs to open up several shuttered attractions and restuarants until new attractions that can swallow some of the crowds are built.:geek:

Freerider127
10-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Exactly with so many E-tickets down people end up going on rides that are not usally popular and then lines get very long for the only E-Tickets that are open.

Not Afraid
10-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Splash should be up this week, but IaSW goes down for SW Holiday at the same time - canceling each other out for ride capacity.

I want my Disneyland back......and I want the heat to be gone!:crying:

Freerider127
10-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Hopefully with Haunted Mansion opened and Splash Mountian opening this week the crowds will filter out better and everybody will be having a better time. :D

sleepyjeff
10-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Freerider127
Hopefully with Haunted Mansion opened and Splash Mountian opening this week the crowds will filter out better and everybody will be having a better time. :D

That's great. But it does'nt help the poor family who took there kids out of school, traveled hundreds( if not thousdands) of miles, spent a tenth of there yearly salary on a vacation to the Theme Park formerly known as Disneyland:mad:

Will they get that week back.:crying:

mom@ga
10-19-2003, 06:52 PM
You guys are scaring me! We will be traveling across country etc etc this week. What can we expect the crowds to be like at DL on Wed Oct 22 and DCA Thurs Oct 23?
We are planning to arrive before posted opening and hit Fantsyland first then Toontown (we have young kids). We also have the list of fastpass attractions and plan to take advantage of that Any other advise? Is it really going to be wall to wall people? We decided to hit the parks mid week to avoid the crowds!

Freerider127
10-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
That's great. But it does'nt help the poor family who took there kids out of school, traveled hundreds( if not thousdands) of miles, spent a tenth of there yearly salary on a vacation to the Theme Park formerly known as Disneyland:mad:

Will they get that week back.:crying:

I totally understand what your saying and its true that it will not bring back that week and that sucks. Mom@ga I dont think the crowds will be that bad because you are going on weekdays and also splash is opening on the 23rd.

swtkissez
10-19-2003, 07:03 PM
don't forget they also have the get 2 for the price of one thing going on that is attributing to the crowds. i know dca has been really crowded lately.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-19-2003, 07:36 PM
I have heard bad things about weekdays this month. A friend said they were there last Thursday and there were crowds comparable with weekends. :(

Things weren't this bad in September. It was only after HMH opened that it jumped back up to summer-size crowds. Two parks for one specials and ride closures add to the problem, but from what I saw, HMH was the biggest factor.

EandCDad
10-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by mom@ga
We are planning to arrive before posted opening and hit Fantsyland first then Toontown (we have young kids). We also have the list of fastpass attractions and plan to take advantage of that Any other advise?

Make sure you ride Peter Pan first, then Dumbo. Your plan is a good one. Another thing you can do with young children is make sure most of your ride time is early and late in the day, save the middle of the day for resting and eating. Have fun.

Freerider127
10-19-2003, 08:23 PM
I also think HMH is a big factor in the crowding because I was there the weekend after it opened and it was alot more crowded then usual.

Mark099
10-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Weekends are pretty crowded -- even in the value season. Our past two trips have taught us to avoid DL altogether on Sundays. DCA is a little better -- only because it is a little more open, which makes it feel less crowded.

The other factor is the closure of so many E-ticket rides. I recall in March 2002 a similar amount of closures. The Matterhorn had a 90 minute line at 11:45pm on a Saturday night.

justagrrl
10-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I have heard bad things about weekdays this month. A friend said they were there last Thursday and there were crowds comparable with weekends. :(

Yes - we went there last Thursday, around 11 am, and I was shocked at how long the lines were. IASM was backed up past the meet and greet in that area. Pirates was also backed into the walkway. We went on 2 rides and left. I commented to the tram guy and asked if there was a reason for the crowds, (thinking a convention or something?) and he said no, it'd just been like that lately...and that they were already parking people in Puumba! (It was around 12:30 that we left.)

How is it in the evenings right now?

AlanaP
10-20-2003, 06:59 AM
Part of the reason for the crowds this past Thursday and Friday at least..was UEA,( Utah educators Assn) has a teacher conference, and the kidlets are out of school, and its a VERY popular plan to hit Disneyland that weekend.
We went Thursday, and I noticed tons of Uof U, BYU and 2002 Olympics shirts, and tons of Utah plates in the parking structure. (being a transplanted Utahn, I tend to notice other Utah things)
I also seem to remember this time last year being more crowded than I thought it would be.
I hope it slows a little!!

Alana

MagicB4Money
10-20-2003, 10:22 AM
I was there last Wed-Friday and the crowds were tremendous. I asked a few people with school-age kids, and they said that Utah, Arizona, and Nevada schools were having their "Fall Break." So they have a Spring break, Summer vacation and this Fall break at the same time every year.

fairytalelover
10-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, we went this weekend and it was soooo crowded on Saturday it was just nuts. Even in the evening it was totally packed and there were still lines to get in to DL. Very crazy. Maybe it is because of the warm weather. I thought maybe people are rushing to take advantage of the warm weather to take their families out.

mom@ga
10-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Sounds like we could be in for big crowds even on the week days. Oh well, at least I'll be mentally prepared for it. The tiki birds and Abe are looking more interesting every minute!

We have ressis at Blue Bayou for a late lunch at 2:00 in the afternoon. So we will try to ride before and after. I wish the park opened earlier or stayed open later. It's hard to do the headliners early or late when the hours are 10:00 to 8:00. Guess fastpass will be our best bet. Thanks to everyone for the tips-and if anybody else has ideas to get the most done on a crowded day.....

Not Afraid
10-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by mom@ga
Sounds like we could be in for big crowds even on the week days. Oh well, at least I'll be mentally prepared for it. The tiki birds and Abe are looking more interesting every minute!

We have ressis at Blue Bayou for a late lunch at 2:00 in the afternoon. So we will try to ride before and after. I wish the park opened earlier or stayed open later. It's hard to do the headliners early or late when the hours are 10:00 to 8:00. Guess fastpass will be our best bet. Thanks to everyone for the tips-and if anybody else has ideas to get the most done on a crowded day.....

What a perfect time for a break - and in a dark, cool, lovely restaurant too!

FastPass is your best bet. Remembering that you can hold a Pirates FP along with another. (I think Pirates is the only "Free" FP at the moment, but I will be corrected soon if I am wrong.)

The worst part of the crowds for a DL regular is the combination of the crowds and the heat. We had a cooler spell and I thought we were done with "Florida". Hot, muggy, crowded is not something you normally see here in October.:mad:

SoCalDisneyLover
10-20-2003, 12:28 PM
I thought that Star Tours & Roger Rabbit were also "Non-Connected" Fast Pass rides.

Freerider127
10-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Star Tours is disconnected but I dont know about Rodger Rabbit.

TheatreTech
10-20-2003, 04:28 PM
*pulls out paper in wallet*
Roger Rabbit' Car Toon Spin
Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Tours
~All Disconnected;)

And FastPasses can be used after printed time;)

Originally posted by Not Afraid
but I will be corrected soon if I am wrong.you've been here too long :p;):D <-------:giggle: the heads are connected :giggle:

~Sorry to kinda derail
~All info provided by TT is subject to change without notice.

mom@ga
10-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm logging off now and catching some zzz's before we catch our cross country flight early in the morning. Just checked weather.com again-looks likes the temps are going to stay up the next few days. Guess I should trade in those sweatshirts for more bathing suits. Can't wait to get to the west coast. I'm sure we'll have a great time no matter how high the crowds and temps get! Thanks again for all the planning help!