PDA

View Full Version : Changes to D23 Membership

stan4d_steph
11-21-2014, 09:03 AM
I just received an email from D23 that outlines upcoming changes to the membership program for 2015:

Much of D23's growth over the past five years--a complimentary General Membership level, additional events around the country, exclusive website content--is a direct result of feedback we have received from you, Disney's best fans. Many of you have told us you'd like to bring your entire family to our events. And so today, we announced that in 2015 we will add a D23 Gold Family Membership, allowing members to bring three guests to our events. 2015 will also bring special D23 Gold Member event pricing and early ticketing, as well as Gold Member-exclusive opportunities and other enhancements that we're excited to share with you in the coming months.

As we focus on bringing even greater value to the D23 Gold Membership experience, we'll be phasing out D23 Silver Membership. Beginning today, new D23 Silver Membership and renewal will no longer be available; however, current D23 Silver Memberships will still be honored, and during renewal those members will have the opportunity to upgrade to D23 Gold, D23 Gold Family, or to become General Members.

So there will now be a family membership offered, although it limits the number of additional guests to 3. Also, the Silver level will be discontinued.

Nikara
11-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Interesting. I happened to switch to Gold earlier this year, but I'm curious about what this will look like for the Expo. Maybe you'll have to have a Gold membership to get onto the floor early...

Mermaid
11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
My D23 account is so messed up I can't actually log into anything. I have emailed them a bunch of times and they say it is fixed, but I am so over it! I am only a free (DVC) member at this point anyway, but no way am I paying when I can't log in and no events are ever in Phoenix (well, as far as I can tell, I get the emails but then get denied access when I click on the link)!

AnotherJenny
11-21-2014, 10:18 PM
I had been a charter member, but after the last Expo and the terrible treatment I decided not to renew. But I still have to ask, what will special gold member event pricing entail when up until now almost all events have only been open to paying members? Will general members now be allowed to pay for events? Another small factor in while I didn't renew was that increased pricing for events like screenings, which used to be free or $5. I'll be interested to see how events will be priced next year, but I highly doubt I'll ever pay for a membership again.

olegc
11-23-2014, 05:14 PM
I paid because I really love the magazine and the opportunity to get to events. I think paying more (while I don't like it) for events was to try and reduce demand. Most of the events are held during dates or locations I can't get to easily based on my work schedule and obligations. I do have mixed feeling about coming changes to gold (I except a cost increase somewhere) but after the big Destination D event in Florida this weekend, and the large expo last year in Japan - I would think the only thing we would really get this year was the Expo. Maybe some Mickey's Glendale shopping excursions, or free screenings of movies (that need our work of mouth) but nothing too fantastic. I would LOVE to attend the Dickens Christmas event but like everything else these days I am priced out.

cstephens
11-24-2014, 06:25 AM
I absolutely loved the D23 event at "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" musical at the La Jolla Playhouse a couple of weeks ago. And I really enjoyed being able to see "Big Hero 6" for free and before the movie came out. We have memberships knowing that there aren't too many things we're going to end up participating in, but the things we do participate in are worth it to us. I know the memberships don't work for everyone. One friend asked me about it a couple years ago, and I told her that based on where she lives and what she likes to participate in, it wouldn't be worth it for her. The husband has a gold membership and I have a silver membership, so we'll have to look at the new terms to decide whether I'll upgrade to gold or whether we just get a family membership.