PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou pricing, part two...(tipping tips?)

Pages : [1] 2

Captain Josh
10-17-2003, 03:55 PM
...okay, I've calculated how much the Blue Bayou would set me back if I took a date, but now, I have one last question.

What about tipping?

My mom works food services in DL, and she said there's a rule about CM's and tips...but I need other opinions. Should I leave a tip at the Blue Bayou, since it is table service? I mean, I left a tip at Carnation Cafe, and I don't know what they did with it...what do you guys think?

zapppop
10-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Tip if you feel the service was good, and tip what you would normally tip a waiter/waitress at any other restaurant. Don't let the inflated prices inflate the tip. Treat the server like a server at any other restaurant.

fairytalelover
10-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Of course you should leave a tip. I was a waitress for over 6 years and one of my pet peaves is people who don't tip or don't know how to tip. Waiters work very hard. It's a tough job and they live off of their tips. The norm at the moment is 15%-20%off of the TOTAL bill also if you have coupons or get discounted in any way you still tip off of the total before the discount. After all the waiter still did the same running around for you whether you got a discount or not. And if there is something wrong with the food don't take it out on the waiters tip. He did not cook it. I can't tell you how many times customers would not tip us or tip very badly because they didn't like their food, even though we would give excellent service and bust our butts making sure they are happy.

dsnylndmom
10-17-2003, 04:21 PM
I agree with FTL, always tip table service meals. I was a server for years in my teens and twenties so it's a pet peeve of mine also. BUT tip accordingly to the service. Avg. is 15% like FTL said but don't hesitate to tip less if the service is bad. On the same wavelength if the service is very good tip more.

fairytalelover
10-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by dsnylndmom
I agree with FTL, always tip table service meals. I was a server for year in my teens and twenties so it's a pet peeve of mine also. BUT tip accordingly to the service. Avg. is 15% like FTL said but don't hesitate to tip less if the service is bad. On the same wavelength if the service is very good tip more.

Well put. I have tipped more than 20% before when the service was exceptionally good. In fact we tipped more than 20% at Ariel's Grotto once, because our server was so pleasant and efficient. It makes a big impression on me when the server's have an extra pleasant demeanor because I know how hard it is to keep that smile on your face in a tough job like that, with people pulling you every which way, customers asking you for refills, asking how long their food is going to be, asking for things not on the menu, kids spiling things, the difficult customers who hate everything and can never be pleased, the cooks yelling for you to pick up the food, getting seated more than you should at the same time so you are running around with your head cut off, your feet hurt, customers who try to get their bill discounted any way they can, etc............ UGH! I'm really glad I'm not doing that anymore and I have tremendous empathy for those who still do.

dsnylndmom
10-17-2003, 04:38 PM
I hear ya there! I'm sooooooo glad I don't do it anymore either! I had to "train" my hubby on the art of tipping when we got married and he got quite a few stern lectures from me! ;)

fairytalelover
10-17-2003, 04:44 PM
I hear ya there! I'm sooooooo glad I don't do it anymore either! I had to "train" my hubby on the art of tipping when we got married and he got quite a few stern lectures from me! ;)

Oh yeah, even when we are not paying and we are with another person who is treating, I still question how much they are tipping. I just can't help it because I have witness so many of my friends tipping so poorly that I just felt bad for the server. Or I will offer to pay the tip if they are treating the dinner.

Do you know that Oprah did a show special on waiters and tipping, they actually repeat this one a lot and she said that they did a study and the stats said that the worse tippers are women and black people. I don't know why these two scored so low. But, Oprah said that she tips double to compensate for being both. Anyone else this this episode?

PapiBear
10-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
Of course you should leave a tip. I was a waitress for over 6 years and one of my pet peaves is people who don't tip or don't know how to tip. Waiters work very hard. It's a tough job and they live off of their tips. The norm at the moment is 15%-20%off of the TOTAL bill also if you have coupons or get discounted in any way you still tip off of the total before the discount. After all the waiter still did the same running around for you whether you got a discount or not. And if there is something wrong with the food don't take it out on the waiters tip. He did not cook it. I can't tell you how many times customers would not tip us or tip very badly because they didn't like their food, even though we would give excellent service and bust our butts making sure they are happy.

They don't teach you how to tip wait staff in school, so expecting everyone to automatically know exactly how to tip is absurd. Plus, there are cultures where tipping is considered a bribe or at least crude, so people from those countries and/or cultures may not be knowledgeable about American tipping practices, may not be in the habit of tipping to begin with, and/or may be reluctant to begin engaging in a practice which is looked down upon back home. For example, tipping in Japan is generally considered tacky, but restaurants routinely add on "service fees" to everyone's bill, which is then divided evenly between the server, the cook, the bussers, and the host. A fair and equitable system which one would think Americans would have thought up, but which still has yet to catch on here.

American restaurants also have yet to be smart enough to realize that not everyone knows how to tip and provide little cards or stand-ups on each table which provide a brief guide to tipping. Gee, maybe servers could recommend something so simple, innocuous, unobtrusive and potentially revenue-enhancing to restaurant management?

The guy who leaves a single penny in a very open and obvious part of the table -- he's the kind of customer servers REALLY don't like, because that means he knows how to tip, but because your service stunk so bad he had to make a point of letting you know that it stunk.

It's not the customers' fault that restaurants force servers to live on their tips. Gratuities should be considered financial gravy, not the meat and potatoes. It's a shame that those who choose to work in restaurants can't seem to negotiate fair enough wages that the majority of servers' incomes aren't dependent upon the generosity of customers. Not to mention, not everyone is good with percentages. You might be able to instantaneously calculate 15-20% of $xx.xx in your head and determine whether more or less is deserved, but not everyone else can. And sitting at a restaurant table with a calculator, verifying the range of a tip that's satisfactory to a server, and then pondering thoughtfully over whether the service was worthy of that additional payment, not only looks bad, but is not something most restaurant diners wish to engage in.

Just give me the bill. If you want to tack on a service fee, go ahead, but do it before you give me the bill. I don't have time to figure out how good or how bad a server you are or what the percentages are that would mollify you; I've got things to do and places to go. Don't give me the bill and tell me it's X amount of dollars, where I'm put upon to begin doing mental calculations in order to find out how much extra I can afford or am willing to spend above the bill. Just give me the bill one time, and I'll pay it and be gone. You'd actually stand to earn more money this way than otherwise.

Anyway, none of this speaks directly to the issue of tipping wait staff at Disneyland restaurants, because of CM rules regulating the acceptance of gratuities. It's understandable that there'd be concern for a conflict of interest, or tipping when it's not permitted to be received. Why waste your dough if they can't accept tips in the first place?

Lady
10-17-2003, 05:05 PM
double the tax = 15%

at least tip 15% on a date. if i was on a date and the guy tipped less than 15%, i would think him selfish and inconsiderate of waiters.

i have this terrible coworker who always orders lots of dishes and drinks but then always tries to leave like a dollar tip. pretty terrible.

Captain Josh
10-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by PapiBear
Why waste your dough if they can't accept tips in the first place?

Actually, I think THAT'S the issue I wanted to address. So, based on that, should I, or shouldn't I?

...or should I just forget about dating taking this girl out for dinner, who I really like, but doesn't even have the time of day to go out anyways, and just buy some nice things for myself?

PapiBear
10-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
It makes a big impression on me when the server's have an extra pleasant demeanor
It's DISNEYLAND. They're SUPPOSED to have an "extra pleasant demeanor" (I worked on Main Street and I know full well about how hard it is to keep your head about you when you're being besieged by Guests, but nobody ever tipped ME, and nobody ever needed to, because it was my JOB to be as pleasant and accomodating as possible to all Guests).

PapiBear
10-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Lady
double the tax = 15%

at least tip 15% on a date. if i was on a date and the guy tipped less than 15%, i would think him selfish and inconsiderate of waiters.

i have this terrible coworker who always orders lots of dishes and drinks but then always tries to leave like a dollar tip. pretty terrible.

Sales tax varies by state and does not always equal 15%. In Texas it's 8.25%, which, if doubled, is 16.50%. In other states, it's sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes non-existent.

Who's being tipped here, the servers or the girl he's dating?

If a woman thinks me selfish and inconsiderate because I don't happen to tip according to those magical rules that never seem to be written into law, then I would consider her to be overly concerned with my finances and, seeing as how she's so knowledgable about money and so eager to determine how it's spent, I'd let HER pay for the meal. Then I'd cook dinner for her best friend the following evening at my place while I asked if my last date made it home okay the night before. :~D

I don't live my life in order to please waiters. They exist in order to satisfy MY needs and desires as a customer. I can always choose to take my money to another restaurant, or cook my own food.

PapiBear
10-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
Actually, I think THAT'S the issue I wanted to address. So, based on that, should I, or shouldn't I?

...or should I just forget about dating taking this girl out for dinner, who I really like, but doesn't even have the time of day to go out anyways, and just buy some nice things for myself?

Your second solution sounds like the best one, actually. Spend the dough on a girl who'll be grateful for your generosity, not one who doesn't value your company enough to even agree to going in the first place.

And heck, just call up the Blue Bayou and ask them about what their tipping policy is before you go.

Captain Josh
10-17-2003, 05:25 PM
it's not that she doesn't appreciate it, it's that she's practically a spook, because she's so busy...

...but that solution has a little problem: I don't really want anything....except to take someone out to dinner, at the Blue Bayou.

PapiBear
10-17-2003, 05:31 PM
it's not that she doesn't appreciate it, it's that she's practically a spook, because she's so busy...

...but that solution has a little problem: I don't really want anything....except to take someone out to dinner, at the Blue Bayou.

So like I said, find another girl who has the time to go with you. Face it, if a chick says she doesn't have time for you, she's telling you she's not willing to MAKE time for you. Do you really want to spend money and waste time on someone who isn't eagerly willing to make some schedule adjustments (if necessary) just to be in your presence?

Captain Josh
10-17-2003, 05:36 PM
you're right, excuse me...

...I need to go and fix my life.

cryan71
10-17-2003, 05:50 PM
I only tip more than 15% if the waiter was really hot and their would be a possibility of a date. :)

Freerider127
10-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Do you double the tax when you tip?

Demigod121
10-17-2003, 06:05 PM

In my case, same idea, only in reverse. I had to teach my wife how to tip appropriately. We always tip in accordance with the service. I have gone as far as tipping 30% when we had exceptional service. But I would call to see if there is a different policy on tipping at the Blue Bayou, just to make sure.

And PapiBear, boy you sure ARE a Crotchety Old Man, arent ya?
LOL!

-Demigod

Hollyjustholly
10-17-2003, 06:06 PM

If all you're looking for is someone to take to the Blue Bayou, I'll make time to go with you! :)

Captain Josh
10-17-2003, 06:09 PM
hmm...you know, now that you mention it...if you check this section of my website (http://www.geocities.com/slayer_x55/Dizznie) (it IS a joke, but you never know....)

MouseWife
10-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Help me here, what society is it where you tip first?

And, G-Hawk. Yep, you are expected to tip because on the receipt it states 'Parties 8 or larger will automatically be charged 18%'.

And, it is true what the crotchety guy said. Pretty straight forward.

We tip at least the 15% and usually more so. We have kids who always have some sort of special request so if they are treated well, that cinches it.

Have fun!!!

Oh, nice to meet you after the pot luck. ;)

Captain Josh
10-17-2003, 06:23 PM
...I quit.

Sometimes, I think I'm losing all my hair, because of these "life debates" I put myself through...

MouseWife
10-17-2003, 07:21 PM
...I quit.

Sometimes, I think I'm losing all my hair, because of these "life debates" I put myself through...

Don't sweat the small stuff, dude. ;)

Captain Josh
10-17-2003, 07:26 PM
But, I'm still losing my hair.

...doesn't matter what I do anymore, it seems...