PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Fastpass: First test reports

AVP
11-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Disneyland used last night's AP Anniversary party as a test of the new Fantasmic Fastpass system, and I have notes to share from my experience. It is safe to assume everything will change before this rolls out to the public in 3 weeks, but here's what we saw:

There were three viewing areas last night, Red (which we were told was the "best" area), Gold (on the east / Frontierland side of center) and Blue (on the west / Haunted Mansion side of center).

I used Google Maps to create a rough map of the seating areas. As far as I could tell, the colors corresponded to which of the three water screens you could see, but had to bearing on how close to the water you were.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/170679-1/FantasmicSeating111814.jpg

The good news is that the standard "sitting" areas were all still sitting during last night's show. I was a little worried when we got there and saw a LOT of people standing against the front rail, but as I walked around during the show I saw they were indeed sitting.

The note in the AP event flyer said 5000 tickets were available last night. To ensure there were people in all 3 sections, CMs told me that distribution was not first-come, first-served, but a random assignment of one of the three areas. We got red tickets. I heard that they did not run out of tickets before distribution ended, but I do not know that for sure. I'd love to hear from someone who knows for certain one way or the other.

The tickets said to return between 9:30 and 10:15 for the 10:30 show. Since the only performance of the parade was scheduled for 9:30, we decided to watch the parade from Main Street, and then head to Fantasmic.

The tickets did not have a return location printed on them. We were told by the CM who gave us the tickets to line up by Pirates of the Caribbean. By the time we got to the show, there was no line, and CMs were giving completely different and conflicting instructions about where the red section ticket holders were supposed to enter the viewing area.

When we finally got into the correct viewing section, the only area open was the upper terrace in front of Cafe Orleans. We initially had a great view of a tree, but moved to one side of the area to get a better sightline on the center water screen.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/170684-2/FantasmicSeating2-111814.jpg
The view from our assigned area, once we shifted to (mostly) avoid the tree on the right.

Once my group got situated in our assigned area, I left them to go see what was going on in the other areas. The CM managing our section gave me a Fastpass ticket when I left the area so I could get back in. Someone who was just entering was upset that she had to surrender her ticket, because she wanted to save it as a souvenir. The CM told her that they had to collect them, and could not give them back after the show, because managers would be counting the tickets so they'd know how many people had been in each area.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/170692-2/FantasmicSeating4-111814.jpg
The view from behind the keel boat dock. If you were willing to brave the smoke, you could have a spot on the rail.

I walked down to the old keel boat dock, which was standby viewing last night, and there was absolutely NO crowd. There were about 20 people on the keel boat dock itself, which is now a smoking area. If you were willing to put up with chain-smoking neighbors, you could get a great view of the show from there. I admit, it annoys me that this is a smoking area during the show, and I hope that changes once Fantasmic Fastpass rolls out.

I kept walking towards the edge of the blue standing area, and got a perfect spot between the raft dock and the keel boat dock, right on the water. When people saw me standing there and realized the CM wasn't telling me to move, about a dozen ducked under the rope marking the edge of the blue section and came to stand around me.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/170688-2/FantasmicSeating3-111814.jpg
The view from the standby section near the keel boat dock.

Before the show started, CMs said the bridge over Pirates was being held for overflow Fastpass (in case a section ran out of room before it ran out of tickets), *or* standby - they didn't know which yet, and weren't letting people stand there. I asked after the show, and it turned out they used it for standby viewing.

So, that's what we saw. Here's what we don't know:

How many viewing sections there will really be once this rolls out. As I detailed in the Fantasmic Fastpass Guide (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?213291-Fantasmic-Fastpass-The-Guide) when this news first broke, there are at least 6 different ways to see the show now. Last night's 3 viewing areas will certainly be broken into smaller chunks to accommodate the various dinner packages.
How to guarantee a spot in the "sitting" area, other than by purchasing the Blue Bayou package.
The difference in viewing areas for River Belle vs. Aladdin's Oasis vs. Hungry Bear dining packages. Disney has said the Hungry Bear dessert package comes with a separate viewing area. I suspect it will be on or near the keel boat dock, in the area that was all standby last night.

I would LOVE to hear from everyone who saw the show last night. Did you get a Fastpass ticket, or just go standby? Where was your viewing area, and how was the view? What was your experience getting into your viewing area? What are your thoughts on improvements for the system?

Adrienne

olegc
11-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I did not attend (but will be at the KOST party on Thursday and don't know if they will do this then, doubt it) but one other thing we don't know - how a much LARGER general audience will affect the standby areas, traffic flow, etc. Since each section is narrower close to the river - its harder to be flexible in how they approach loading each zone IMHO. When the crowds hit hard on Holiday week I wonder what the response will be.

Thanks for the comprehensive report.

Gone2Disneyland
11-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the great report, Adrienne! I was there last night but my friends and I didn't plan for Fantasmic! We did walk through the Pirates of the Caribbean/ROA area I want to say around 9:15 pm. I saw CMs behind the roped off area in front of the river and I asked one where to get the FastPasses. She told me all FPs were gone at that point.

Mistyj
11-19-2014, 09:33 AM
My husband and I watched the parade from the Matterhorn/Alice bathrooms, then walked through Frontierland at approximately 10:00 pm. As we passed the petrified tree the first entrance into the area you have marked as "gold" on your map had a sign marking it as a Standby entrance. I wonder if this was adjusted due to the number of fastpasses handed out (or not handed out.) We had Gold tickets and ended up in the standing area about midway down behind the seated area. We had a terrific view from there, basically because everyone in front of us was seated. I'd say the area could hold about 5 or 6 people deep - okay for taller adults. Most people were kind enough to let the kids stand at the rope.

A couple of things I noticed: The CMs had some trouble getting everyone in the seated area to sit. They asked everyone to sit 5 minutes before the show started. The CMs also didn't seem to have proper control over the area we were in. Several people simply walked into our section without going to the "Gold" entrance (which was further down) and didn't seem to have a fastpass.

I have a hard time seeing how they are going to control this when the park is more crowded.

AnotherJenny
11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
How to guarantee a spot in the "sitting" area, other than by purchasing the Blue Bayou package.

For what they're charging for the Blue Bayou package, I'd have no problem with this being the only way to guarantee a seat. I'm not sure it will be that popular, but if they reserve a seated section for them and it's 1/4 full, I'd be fine with that too.

The CM managing our section gave me a Fastpass ticket when I left the area so I could get back in. Someone who was just entering was upset that she had to surrender her ticket, because she wanted to save it as a souvenir. The CM told her that they had to collect them, and could not give them back after the show, because managers would be counting the tickets so they'd know how many people had been in each area.

Because surrendering your FP is something new here? I hope she wasn't too upset over this.

danyoung
11-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks a lot for posting the pic of the reserved areas. It looks like my favorite spot will be wide open - very very cool!

Disneylandfanguy
11-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Someone who was just entering was upset that she had to surrender her ticket, because she wanted to save it as a souvenir.

First world problems.

Janis and Aaron
11-24-2014, 06:03 PM
First world problems.

If it's an issue at Disneyland, isn't it by definition a first world problem?

Arica57
11-24-2014, 06:34 PM
What date will this officially roll out?

candles71
11-24-2014, 07:05 PM
What date will this officially roll out? The announcement gave December 12th as the first day.

Smorri
11-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Sorry, but I'm still a bit confused... Is there no way to get a Fast Pass without buying a meal package? If not, Where can you watch Fantasmic from? (besides the keel boat wharf... I can't see subjecting my or my child's lungs to that) Has seeing Fantasmic just become an additional $60+ expense (for a family of three) on a Disneyland trip? if so, I hope they don't figure out a way to charge for watching the Fireworks.

candles71
11-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Fast passes are available on a first come type basis as well. There is a Sticky thread explaining all of the options, I believe the free FP is the last number of options.

Smorri
11-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Fast passes are available on a first come type basis as well. There is a Sticky thread explaining all of the options, I believe the free FP is the last number of options.

Thanks. I had looked at that thread before, but in all the conversation about the dining options I had missed information on the regular Fast Pass distribution. Thanks for the info. :)

newhdplayer
11-25-2014, 12:21 PM
if so, I hope they don't figure out a way to charge for watching the Fireworks.

They will, just a matter of time

richsmit
11-28-2014, 08:32 AM
I attended, and was not happy. First, I am 60 years old. Try sitting cross-legged for a half hour at that age ( I was directed to Gold "Sitting Only") and continually reminded by the CM's prior to the show starting that I would have to sit. The cobblestones are very hard and uneven, and because I got there early, I had to watch the show through the fence railing from the ground. When I previously watched the (Free) show, my wife and I chose a spot behind one of the spotlight towers, knowing they would rise up before the show. We always got a good spot about an hour before the show starting and watched the show standing. If they are going to start charging, they should trim or cut down some of the obstructive trees, which might destroy the effect of NOS for the rest of the day. It doesn't seem to me there will be any spots left to watch that aren't charged. I am sure the yellow-shirts will wave their flashlights to keep the rest of us moving. I am not willing to pay to see this, and I will leave the Park early or be in Tomorrowland. If they start charging for the Fireworks, I am outta here.

Rapunzelthorn
11-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Are the different areas roped off then? The idea of this is somewhat anxiety provoking to me. We are going in January and haven't seen the show in years as we are usually there in the off-season in the middle of the week. Starting our trip on a Sunday this time and might actually get to see the show. The last time that we saw the show, we just sat at the tables of the River Belle Terrace during the second showing. My kids were little at the time and just stood by the wrought iron railing. Were they letting people sit in the River Belle Terrace area? I don't think that it will be overly crowded on our trip (Jan. 11-13), but still, trying to get in to view this show and secure a good spot is such a pain in the butt.

Rapunzelthorn
11-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Is the "stand by" section for those without fast passes? Braving the smoking section sounds like an option if they will let you get away with standing in a non-crowded area.

candles71
11-28-2014, 06:56 PM
The stand by sections are for non FP people.
River Belle Terrace seating, is for RB patrons.

Rapunzelthorn
11-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes, we did eat at the River Belle Terrace at the time. I'm just wondering if they are going to make changes to your ability to sit in that area because of the new fast pass for viewing area. For instance, charging more for that viewing area with your meal (even though it is not really a prime viewing area).

If you did not have a fast pass and got to stand on the bridge over Pirates of the Caribbean, it seems like you would be getting rewarded with a prime viewing spot for your lack of planning.

candles71
11-29-2014, 08:28 AM
For clarities sake, You have to purchase the RB prix fix Fastpass meal to sit there. There is another seating area for these passes but you are aying the price to sit at the table now.

D. Duck
12-01-2014, 08:29 AM
The smoking section at the keelboats dock will be closed before people are allowed into the viewing areas.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
12-01-2014, 11:05 AM
It's still going to stink though. Like walking into any area where smokers have been. :(

olegc
12-08-2014, 09:13 AM
The Parks blog posted the menu for River Belle, Aladdin's On-The-Go, and the dessert party at Hungry Bear.
CLICK HERE (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/12/a-dining-experience-fantasmic-at-disneyland-park/)