PDA

View Full Version : I spoke to someone at Disney

Pages : [1] 2

Nephythys
10-17-2003, 12:12 PM
She would not tell me the rumors she had heard BUT she did say that DL is planning on returning several attractions to their original state for the 50th Birthday Celebration!

She was not willing to give up anything, and she told me to check on-line BUT she was distinctly hinting that YES this is a NEW WHITE paint job to return Space Mtn to it's former glory! She almost came out and said it, but she hedged a bit too.

I will try to recall more details from the conversation when I get back from a training class-

Yippee!:D

Freerider127
10-17-2003, 12:15 PM
It would be nice to have some new attractions but I would be very happy if we just get the old ones back.

rexfarms
10-17-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Freerider127
It would be nice to have some new attractions but I would be very happy if we just get the old ones back.
Thats true, but only to a point. Bring back easy to bring back older attractions just long enough to get some BRAND NEW ones in. No copies, new. :)

Gemini Cricket
10-17-2003, 02:57 PM
[crossing my fingers]
I hope that means turning the Innoventions carousel back into a spinning theater.
[/crossing my fingers]

Corith
10-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Nephythys
She would not tell me the rumors she had heard BUT she did say that DL is planning on returning several attractions to their original state for the 50th Birthday Celebration!

Which brings up an interesting speculation. What attractions might be returned to their original state? Considerinng Eisner's Penny-pinching, what other attractions are even feasible in the time that remains.

So little remains of the list of attractions that where there in 1955. We must therefore, assume that some attractions (like space mountain) are getting a trip backward in time.

Tiki-room would be a good choice with no major, extensive construction issues to deal with. it just has dust, paint, and some thatching.

Subs? I do not think that disney has the money, will, time or incentive to have them up and running by the 50th.

Fantasyland dark rides? Back in 1985, there whole land was gutted. I can't see any one of the dark ride attractions stepping back to their pre-1985 state, not without major costs.

Keel boats. These might be a cheap to return to operational status.

Pirate's political correct changes removed? Captain EO replaces Shrunk? Maybe, but highly doubtful.

Peoplemover, Adventure through innerspace, Carousel of Progress, Rocket Jets, America Sings, Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, Swiss Family Treehouse, Country Bear Jamboree, Skyway, the old hollow Matterhorn, are all just too expensive to see them reverted back.

Oldtimer
10-17-2003, 04:46 PM
I don't know if what I heard is part of it but a cast member on Tom Sawyer's island claimed there will be a new fort for the 50th.

And if ovd wins the day they will have drinks and snacks available there as well.

time will tell,
Oldtimer
:cool:

innerSpaceman
10-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
[crossing my fingers]
I hope that means turning the Innoventions carousel back into a spinning theater.
[/crossing my fingers]
Um, no. Lower level will be the History of Disneyland Exhibit. Upper level will continue to be InnoVentions.

Sorry. (But the exhibit is supposed to be cool!)

cstephens
10-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Oldtimer
And if ovd wins the day they will have drinks and snacks available there as well.

That would be great if they brought a snack bar back to the island. So inconvenient to have to remember to get stuff ahead of time.

newhdplayer
10-17-2003, 04:59 PM
She would not tell me the rumors she had heard BUT she did say...

You mean to tell us that you have sources on "the inside" like some other, unnamed, (Al) well connected former padder? And this is all confirmed and true???

MOD NOTE: Excessive quoting deleted. Please try to keep a 1:1 ratio between quote and reply. Adrienne K

SacTown Chronic
10-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Freerider127

Only with a "leader" like Eisner could getting the old ones back be considered progress.

Nephythys
10-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
You mean to tell us that you have sources on "the inside" like some other, unnamed, (Al) well connected former padder? And this is all confirmed and true???

No- I called someone at Disneyland and spoke to her. I have no inside sources nor do I claim to. She was obviously hedging her comments to not give away too much- but she made it very clear that the white paint is more an indication of returning the attraction to it's original state.

We also spoke about the subs. She says it gets refurbed annually (in some way) and that getting it back up and running would not be that hard. She said they had to get emissions permits and some other things required by SoCal, but that it could be done.

I thought this was good news!

sleepyjeff
10-17-2003, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corith
[B]

Fantasyland dark rides? Back in 1985, there whole land was gutted. I can't see any one of the dark ride attractions stepping back to their pre-1985 state, not without major costs.

Don't touch Fantasyland...that was an improvement(even though I do miss the Pirate ship/skull rock)

BTW: FL was gutted in 1982/1983......If I am not mistaken:geek:

DisneyFan25863
10-17-2003, 06:34 PM
No- I called someone at Disneyland and spoke to her.

The Guest Relations Line (which is what I am assuming you called), knows no more that you or I about what is happening at TDA.

PhilMP
10-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
That would be great if they brought a snack bar back to the island. So inconvenient to have to remember to get stuff ahead of time.

Umm...there was an ODV cast member there up until about a year ago.

So...ODV has, and always will have, complete control over DL. It's a fact of life. :)

Phil

Nephythys
10-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
The Guest Relations Line (which is what I am assuming you called), knows no more that you or I about what is happening at TDA.

I do not recall which line I called. They hear things too, and while they have their official Disney line to say, I don't see how anything she said can be so easily dismissed. She said DL plans on making some of the attractions to way they used to be as a "gift" to the guests.

Is there a reason you need to be such a negative downer? I am damn sure they know more about what is going on at DL than I do, I do not work there, don't hear things.

I thought it would be a good thing to do to call them and see what they have to say- go rain on someone elses parade.

I wanted to share this info because I think people would like to know- after all, the CM's and the painters say the same thing.....

wendybeth
10-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Nephythys-
You need to understand that there are a lot of people here Mousepad that love Disneyland, and quite a few that still work there...;) You are employing a double standard- I've seen you take other MPers on about rumors and innuendo, at least when the news is negative, and yet you are berating other people for questioning your sources, and accusing them of being pessimistic. This is not a "I love Disneyland best" contest; we all love it, or we wouldn't be here. Some people are optimists, others not, and name calling isn't going to solve anything. I hope you are right, especially since I plan on spending a great deal of money that I really don't have to go back to Disneyland next year.... I guess this proves that I, too, am an optimist; the last time we went I was a little disgusted with the state of the park, yet here I am, plotting our next trip....:cool:

Nephythys
10-19-2003, 03:13 PM
I have never told anyone here that their rumors, facts or innuendo are incorrect. I fight against pessimisim, true, but not what the person said or says they heard.

I called DL to ask them what was going on, the woman said very clearly that many attractions were being returned to their original state. There is no ambiguity there, and yet people want to say that the person I spoke to knows nothing.

I am not in a competition to love DL, I know we all do- that is why I love it here. I was just amazed at how quickly I was basically told that what I had been told was worthless. Whereas other people who have heard rumors are cheered for passing that info along.

No double standard here! I will argue against the negative attitude- but how can I judge the validity of a statement someone heard and shares?

(unless you have some specific instance of this so called double standard, in which case show it to me)

All I wanted to do was share my info with others who feel the same way about DL as I do- I thought people would be happy to hear it. I know perfectly well that there are people here who work there, who go there weekly if not more, and I know I am far away and live in CO and don't know as much. But I wanted to share what I did find out-

Somehow I get the feeling that I am less reliable to some people because I live further away?

sleepyjeff
10-19-2003, 03:56 PM

No double standard here! I will argue against the negative attitude- but how can I judge the validity of a statement someone heard and shares?

(unless you have some specific instance of this so called double standard, in which case show it to me)

wendybeth may be referring to your posts during the "Eisner calls CMs overpaid carnies" debate.

:)

Nephythys
10-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
wendybeth may be referring to your posts during the "Eisner calls CMs overpaid carnies" debate.

:)

LOL- if so then it should be clarified that I was not saying that it had not been said or was not true- I just wanted to know what the source was. I know nothing of Al, and even less of his articles and reports- so I questioned the source- but I did not say it was not true-

But thanks for the possible clarification!:D

merlinjones
10-19-2003, 04:49 PM
...Du du du doo... (Twilight Zone music...) Du du du doo...

wendybeth
10-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks, SleepyJeff, I had a feeling I had a feeling I was going to be called on to provide an example.... I thought about going through the archives but didn't want to expend the energy.:D I know that I've seen quite a few posts where Nephytys has taken people to task over their bad attitudes, questionable sources and the like. I don't think I understand why Nephytys thinks Mousepad is so negative; I see far more postings of a positive nature, and as for the negative ones- is this not a discussion board? I am a hairdresser; I have some pretty great discussions with my clients on a daily basis. Our conversations run the gamut of subject and emotion, and rumor and innuendo play a large part in them. (No, not just when we are gossiping about individuals we know- politics, religion and economics are also subjects that provide plenty of examples as to what role 'R & I' play in todays society). It would be kind of difficult to initiate and sustain an interesting discussion by adhering to the same standards that a journalist would (or should).... In my longwinded way I guess I am trying to say that I have no problem with your posts, Nephtytys- I have enjoyed many of them and I appreciate your attempts to add a little levity to the boards. Just try not to get so mad when someone disagrees with you!:cool: And btw, I live even further than you from Disneyland, and I've never felt like people held that against me, even if I am from Spokane....:geek:

wendybeth
10-19-2003, 05:14 PM
LOL!!!!! Welcome, MerlinJones; I was going to track you down if I needed to find 'examples' for Nephytys!:cool:

DisneyFan25863
10-19-2003, 07:32 PM
I don't want to fight with you, Nephythys, but I am just saying that most CM rumors at the DLR are true. I don't know about you, but I don't see any of the supposed attractions that were supposed to be here, if rumors from, say, 5 years ago.

I'm not saying that what the CM said isn't true, I'm just saying that there is a very slim chance that it is :)

Freerider127
10-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Cast members are supposed to tell you good things. I will give you an example last weekend I was at the monorail station and a couple asked about Tower Of Terror and the cast member said that its a mix between the Toyko version and the Florida version and that it is going to be the best one of all, this is a example of a cast member text book anwser, there not going to say well its the cheapest one and the Florida one cost 100 million and ares is only costing 70 million, trust me there not going to say that which is the truth.

Nephythys
10-20-2003, 06:33 AM
You know what- I'm so done with this-

I thought I was doing a good thing. I was excited to share the info. In response I have been shut down and accused of a double standard I do not employ. Not only that but Wendybeth chooses to look to someone who has been incredibly rude to me from day one as some sort of beacon to point out the error of my ways.

I do not tell people that what they hear or repeat is wrong. I have gotten into several debates about things, true, but in my opinion is it not the same as basically telling me that what I have to share was in essence, worthless.

I KNOW this is a discussion board. I come here to discuss. I was not aware that I was not doing it right! Am I not allowed to state how I feel?

You have no clue how frustrating this is. People did not want to give any credit to what I posted. FINE! I never told them to shut up, I just did not understand why the response was so negative. That is called discussion. I am as allowed to state my disappointment in the reaction as anyone else is to doubt what the CM told me.

It is, in my opinion, remarkably rude, to try to use Merlin against me, considering he has never treated me with any sort of respect.

Or is this one of those things where I have to agree or risk not being heard?

I don't care where anyone lives, it is clear that those who work there and go often have more info-

Like I said- I wanted to do a nice thing for us- it obviously was a waste of time and a long distance phone call.

Forget it- they can paint Space Mountain fuschia for all I care if this is the prevalent attitude.

And here I thought Disney fans were friendly people-:mad: :crying: