PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic reserved viewing and dining packages announced

Pages : [1] 2 3

olegc
11-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I wonder how many arguments will happen over blankets...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/11/new-viewing-options-coming-to-fantasmic-at-disneyland-park/

olegc
11-06-2014, 01:15 PM
i wonder if River Belle Terrace will be closed on the nights there is no fantasmic. the wording on the packages is vague.

sunnydalegirl
11-06-2014, 01:20 PM
No more dessert seating? That makes me sad. So with these dinner packages you just get a fastpass and then still have to go fight the crowds in your section? That is what I liked avoiding so much with the dessert seating, and what has put me off from seeing WoC on our last trip.

stan4d_steph
11-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Reserved Fantasmic viewing is moving to a system like the one used at World of Color. Guests will be able to obtain Fastpass tickets along Big Thunder Trail for access to reserved locations along the waterfront. Tickets will be available from park opening until one hour before show time, while supplies last. Limited standby viewing will still be available on a first come, first served basis.

In addition, dining packages may be purchased for access to areas set aside for those guests who reserve a dinner at Blue Bayou, special table-side service at River Belle Terrace, a dessert party at Hungry Bear, or other "on the go" options. The changes at River Belle Terrace will affect its daily meal service; the location will close after 2 p.m. on show days, becoming a reservation only table-service location.

Prices range from $19.99 to $61 for adults, and $13.99 to $29.99 for children. A full list of the new dining packages and prices is located on Disneyland's official page (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/fantasmic-dining-packages/).

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/88519-2/FantasmicDragon1-Disney.jpg

Toocherie
11-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I predict the "to-go" dining package will be eliminated like it was for WoC.

olegc
11-06-2014, 01:34 PM
No more dessert seating? That makes me sad. So with these dinner packages you just get a fastpass and then still have to go fight the crowds in your section? That is what I liked avoiding so much with the dessert seating, and what has put me off from seeing WoC on our last trip.

well, it won't be as crowded as before when folks would walk up last second and try to push their way into a 6in square spot claiming there is room (and then not sit down in the front section) but it sounds like no more seating. Then again - we have to wait and see how these fastpasses are distributed from the dining packages. Maybe those get the former seating area that is separated from the remainder of the crowd. So no seats - but not as much humanity either?

olegc
11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I predict the "to-go" dining package will be eliminated like it was for WoC.

it probably won't last past the holidays.

Toocherie
11-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Sharing my post on another site: I bet this is how it went: "You know, having hundreds of people stake out spots for Fantasmic for hours is really a pain in the rear. And while they are sitting there waiting they aren't spending MONEY. Not to mention all of the cast members we have to hire to keep the area from becoming too congested. How can we cut down on the people waiting while at the same time forcing them to spend more money?" "I know--let's do what we do at World of Color and give out a limited number of "free" Fastpasses and force people to buy overpriced meals to get a "special" Fastpass--and we can eliminate the seating area and jam even more people into the area!" "Yeah, sounds like a GREAT idea. Let's do it!"

Edited to Add: Not to mention that it increases traffic to restaurants that may not have been as busy at dinner as they wanted to be. Although I'm pretty sure that was not an issue with Blue Bayou, there always seemed to be a lot of seating available at RBT and Hungry Bear.

Disneyphile
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I am absolutely thrilled about this! Walking through the riverfront has been terrible - not just for trip hazards, but also an eyesore of "blanket camps". :)

currence
11-06-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm happy to see that they are bringing food service back to Aladdin's Oasis, but saddened that they didn't make that a sit-down location.

Drince88
11-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Not sure how I feel about this - I have fond memories of my two youngest nephews munching out to desserts before Fantasmic - and was really looking forward to repeating that with them and their sister (who will be a lap-kid) when we visit next year.

But if these other options work well, that may be better for us.

I do feel for those who would come to the park late just to catch the second show.

CariBelle
11-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Do you stay at Hungry Bear for the show (I haven't been there in forever, can't remember if you can see from there or not) or leave with your FP to a designated area? I can't tell from their wording.

oregontraveler
11-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Do you stay at Hungry Bear for the show (I haven't been there in forever, can't remember if you can see from there or not) or leave with your FP to a designated area? I can't tell from their wording.

There is no feasible way to watch F! from Hungry Bear. I'm guessing the old raised platforms that were used for the Desert Packages will be given higher FP status to those who bought the premium dinners. And that the new $30 Desert package will have a new FP section.
I do kinda like the Entertainment feature for the Hungry Bear package. It sure feels more relaxing to enjoy your food & drink around the restaurant tables befopre walking over to see the show.

currence
11-06-2014, 02:52 PM

You can't see from there. You will have to be herded from your dessert to the viewing area.

disneyland addict13
11-06-2014, 02:54 PM
This is a bit of a bummer for me. My usual strategy is to watch the rafts and boats load/unload by the canoe area during the first show and then move into a seat right on the water for the second show after the crowds clear out. I'm not sure how the new system will impact this, but I'm assuming it will involve significantly more waiting and a significantly different seating option.

candles71
11-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Too much bend in the river, I don't think you could see anything except backstage from HB.
I, don't like this idea. It will be even worse if this means it will all be standing room only. I, LIKE my downtime waiting for the show, on my blanket. We have met some really nice people while waiting.
$61 for BB? We paid $140 for dinner for 4 adults, with tax and tip, that is not quite double.

We watched it twice in September. The first Saturday, we did the second show, walked up after fireworks. The second time, Friday night, we sat for the first show and had dinner on our blanket, so they are still getting money from us.

So far, we haven't been impressed with WoC.

olegc
11-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm happy to see that they are bringing food service back to Aladdin's Oasis, but saddened that they didn't make that a sit-down location.

yeah - but its Italian cuisine not Middle Eastern. so I don't know how much of the tie in to Aladdin's is key except that there is space.

currence
11-06-2014, 03:16 PM
yeah - but its Italian cuisine not Middle Eastern. so I don't know how much of the tie in to Aladdin's is key except that there is space.

I agree, but I am too young/my parents were too cheap to ever do dining there when it was Tahitian Terrace. I did like the Aladdin dining show for the short period that it lasted. I would just love to see that space revert back to some form of sit-down dining. If they wanted to make it San Fransokyo themed instead of Aladdin I would be fine with that :)

The space just feels very underutilized in its current iteration.

Shortpix77
11-06-2014, 03:32 PM
The space just feels very underutilized in its current iteration.

They should theme it to Frozen. And add a loop.

In all seriousness, I do agree -- I barely remember when the comedy/dinner show was there. Seems like it's long overdue for a revamp!

kingu
11-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Alright, maybe I've got some spacial challenges, but I don't see how this whole deal works at all. Yes, it moves out the 'blanket camps' as some people call them. Quite possibly a wise decision (and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some push from CalOSHA to do this as well, after all, some of those kids waiting by the river might fall in (rolls eyes.)

Where would they possibly put lines for lining up for getting into the fast pass areas? Doesn't all of this only take what was manageable and stationary AND out of the main traffic corridor and simply put the line in the middle of everything? I mean, the only ways I can see it working would have one line over on the critter country bridge and past the Hungry Bear, and the other line effectively closing off the entire Big Thunder Trail. I don't think they understand how important that trail is for crowd control, and I don't think Critter Country can really handle the crowd either. Just restroom facilities on that side would probably get overwhelmed.

I have to assume that Disney's looked at these issues and are taking steps to organize them, but this smokes of a 'Do This Now' directive, and someone spending a few days coming up with ideas while looking at a map of Disneyland, and neither actually considers the on the ground situation.

bumblebeeonarose
11-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Looks like rumor-mills got something right for once. This was just predicted the other day. I guess we'll wait and see how it all works out.

olegc
11-06-2014, 04:45 PM
They could corral everyone at big thunder ranch

currence
11-06-2014, 07:51 PM
They could corral everyone at big thunder ranch

I had that thought too - except right now Big Thunder Ranch closes at/near dusk. I suppose that too could change - perhaps with a glow-fest [or similar] theme?

Tinker44
11-06-2014, 08:39 PM
I am just grateful this changeover won't kick in until AFTER our vacation is over.

I have never seen WOC simply because I detest the whole "get a fastpass, to get in line with the herd, to wait with the herd, to watch the show (standing) with the herd, then try to leave the area with the herd" concept. I have ALWAYS been fine with Fantasmic and any necessary waiting for a reasonable spot was factored into the plan. To me (and my family) Fantasmic is something very special... as is the tradition of waiting for it. The staging/viewing for WOC was built into the design of Paradise Gardens... that was its purpose from the get-go, and the holding lines/staging area is well managed in a space designed for it. I soooooo do not feel that the Riverfront in DL is set up for that level of crowd control measures. I'm firmly in the "leave-it-alone" camp, BUT I can understand the sense of needing to explore new options. I'll be surprised if it lasts... and if it does, I am sure all the kinks will be worked out before we are able to return (possibly Dec '15).

metark
11-06-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm extremely disappointed in this. I know it took part of the evening to wait at the seating area but you could spend as much time as you wanted to in order to get the exact location you want. We are usually a large group, including kids of all ages, so we need quick access to get to the bathrooms, etc. and used our own blanket camps - but we never left the area without someone there. Now, if you want a specific place, it will take time to get the pass in the morning, time to wait in line like WoC and then a mad rush to try to quickly grab a spot while the area fills. I'm sure that the place we normally sit won't even be available unless we buy everyone in our party an expensive dinner somewhere. Like I said, I'm sure many of you will have a different opinion but for me, this is one of the most disappointing things I've heard out of the parks in a long time.