PDA

View Full Version : Getaways?!

averagecuppajoe
10-16-2003, 06:00 PM
For the past "umpteen" years we have used getawaytoday.com for our Disney vacation planning. I assume that everyone here does, but hmm, maybe not.
Right now, you can plan a 5 day/4 night stay with 5 day park hoppers for two adults and three kids for as low as $359. That's for all hotel, taxes, tickets, ...etc.
I've been hunting around, and while I thought this was a great deal, I'm amazed at everybody else's quotes. Booking through Disney costs me twice as much and includes less.
I haven't been able to come up with better deals yet than they offer. The CS rep's are super as well.
If you'all know of better deals let me know, otherwise save yourselves some money! ;)

leota's necklace
10-17-2003, 11:24 AM
I've used their service twice and have had negative experiences both times.

The first trip I did not book, but accompanied friends who did. We ended up at the TraveLodge International in a room with no working air conditioning in midsummer. When asked to repair the air conditioning, the motel management responded there was nothing they could do about it; the rest of the facility was booked, so they would not move us to another room; and they told us that, since we had paid through a package deal, there was nothing we could do about it: they already had our money.

Now, since I didn't book this trip, I didn't pursue the matter through GetAwayToday. If I had been responsible for the travel arrangements I would have raised holy hell, however.

On our second trip, we were dinged by GetAway's phrase "using existing beds", when the Four Points Sheraton assigned the four of us a room with a solitary queen bed, no couch, no large chairs, no cot. The management was nice enough to re-assign us to more comfortable quarters when I protested, but they would have been perfectly within their rights to refuse.

If you're travelling with people you don't mind sharing a bed with, I imagine GetAway is okay, and if I didn't have an annual pass or AAA, I might take advantage of them when travelling alone on last-minute jaunts. But the service left a bit to be desired in my experience.

averagecuppajoe
10-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Sorry to hear that you're experiences weren't as top notch as my own.

I have to mention that we aren't in a financial position to be staying at the nicer hotels, ecpecially the DL owned ones.

Someday maybe, when the kids are out of diapers. For now we can make our annual rites of passage trip only because such great deals do exist.

(I have to add that I misquoted earlier. The deal goes, 4th night free, so add $60 for the the two extra nights making the total $429 for 5 days/4 nights. I've done the math a couple of times and you're basically paying for the tickets and getting the room for free.)