PDA

View Full Version : Howard Johnson v. Tropicana

JosieGirl71
10-16-2003, 02:50 PM
We will be visiting Disneyland in June and are having a difficult time deciding on a hotel. We want cheap and comfortable but those usually don't go hand in hand. Candy Cane Inn was our first choice but it is about $20/night more than HoJo's or Tropicana. Anyone have any advice?

sleepyjeff
10-16-2003, 03:04 PM
HoJo is pretty good for the money...........but if you can afford the extra $20.00, stay at the Candy Cane.

If you do stay at HJ, make sure you check your room before you settle in. HJ has some pretty threadbare rooms, but they also have dozens of rooms that have been refurbished recently. If your not completely satisfied with your room, make them give you another.

If you plan to swim durring your stay, try to get a room close to the quiet pool. It is much more relaxing than the main pool.

Have fun:)

disguy
10-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Hojo is a very nice place to stay, however if location is important Tropicanna is right across the street. I just saw the rooms of Tropicanna the other day and they were quite nice.

AVP
10-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by JosieGirl71
Anyone have any advice? The Tropicana Inn and Suites (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrtropicanainnandsuites) has a 3.5 Planet rating on our fabulous Hotel and Restaurant Review System. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrtropicanainnandsuites)

The Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrahjph) has a 5 Planet rating.

The Candy Cane Inn (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlra_candycaneinn) has a 4 Planet rating.

All three hotels have lots of detailed reviews, which should help you to make your decision.

AVP

bandboy1985
10-16-2003, 06:53 PM
if i may...

the tropicana has also just finished an elaborate and extensive (really) remodel and it's really gone from small motel to very nice hotel- on a par with candy cane, and it's within even the most stringent definition of "walking distance". :D

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-16-2003, 07:00 PM
We stayed at the HOJO in one of their newer rooms, it was very good. staff were great, and we will for sure stay there again. it is about a 5 min walk but is still right there. nice pools....

experiment626
10-17-2003, 09:34 AM
Take a look at showhotel.com (http://www.showhotel.com/others/tropicanainn/) for great pictures and streaming video of the tropicana, unfortunetly they do not seem to have HoJo.

fairytalelover
10-17-2003, 10:17 AM
If you stay at Hojo make sure you specify that you have a room away from the freeway. It was so noisy we had to change rooms. Also if you ask for a room on the first floor you get a pretty nice, roomy patio. On the second floor it is a rather tiny balcony.

Rangnar
10-17-2003, 12:18 PM
I have not been to the other hotels mentioned, but for the $45 clams it cost me a night last week - I have found my new home hotel.

Staff was great,
Room was really big (tower room - top floor looking at DL) and swallowed up the crib in a corner so we didn't have to trip around it,
Place was clean,
The walk to the park was a lot shorter than other people lead me to believe,
Minnie's is right next door (we liked everything we ate there),
The kiddy pool was a BIG hit with my 4 yo)
Great landscaping and grounds.

We were very happy there.

experiment626
10-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Rangnar
I have not been to the other hotels mentioned, but for the $45 clams it cost me a night last week - I have found my new home hotel....
We were very happy there.
And what hotel is that? (Unless I missed it you didn't say what hotel it is)

Rangnar
10-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Ouch! That's what you get when you try to read everything and post on a 15 minute break.

It was HO-JO's

Thanks for the Edit.

stinkerbell
10-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Rangnar
I have not been to the other hotels mentioned, but for the $45 clams it cost me a night last week - I have found my new home hotel.

Staff was great,
Room was really big (tower room - top floor looking at DL) and swallowed up the crib in a corner so we didn't have to trip around it,
Place was clean,
The walk to the park was a lot shorter than other people lead me to believe,
Minnie's is right next door (we liked everything we ate there),
The kiddy pool was a BIG hit with my 4 yo)
Great landscaping and grounds.

We were very happy there. What he said.......We loved HoJo's. It's our hotel of choice. Especially when you can grab that great rate! :)

miss_sonja
10-21-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm working on booking the HoJo for a December family vacation. Any tips on how you got it for $45 clams? I've only seen 69.95 as the best rate...

sleepyjeff
10-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff

If you do stay at HJ, make sure you check your room before you settle in. HJ has some pretty threadbare rooms, but they also have dozens of rooms that have been refurbished recently. If your not completely satisfied with your room, make them give you another.

On another thread I have been corrected by the assistant mangager of this(HoJo) Hotel.

I have not personally stayed there in over two years...I guess some things have changed..for the better....

The a. manager of HJ says that now all rooms are renovated. This is indeed good news, as I remeber the renovated ones were quite nice. Also sounds like they got a newly remodeled main pool; although I still think the quite pool would be the better choice( I don't like crowded pools ). The a. manager also posted that the Acapulco Restuarant is no more....said it was replaced with a better family style rest.

Rangnar
10-21-2003, 11:13 PM
We contacted the director of marketing directly via E-Mail (Willie Simpson). We used the entertainment club card. Now that was for two weeks ago, and I booked at least 3 months in advance, and he said to keep it quiet, but.....

Anyway. Pricing is sure to depend on timing, advance notice and their % of capacity when you book.

It is not, by any stretch, at all like staying at the Grand Californian (which I would love to do again). But we were very satisfied with the HOJO.

stinkerbell
10-22-2003, 11:00 AM
We used the entertainment card as well. (I've done a thread on this too.........search "entertainment" in this forum)

Go to www.entertainment.com and buy a card/book of coupons to use in your area. The hotel deals are nation-wide and are spelled out on the website and in your coupon book. You will need to be able to show your card at hotel check-in, but don't need it in hand to book the room.

I made my reservations just 3 weeks before our visit at Easter last year and still got the $45 rate. That rate is "50%" off the rack rate for the available room.

If you are unable to find a hotel room using the 50% deal, the website also has great low rates through registering your card online. For example, several weeks ago, the HoJo was booked, and the $45 rate wasn't available. On www.entertainment.com, I was able to book and pay for five nights at the Coast Anaheim (also recommended, by the way!) for $50/night. Quick and easy and a great rate!

Between the entertainment books and Priceline, I'm to the point that I almost won't pay more than $55 for a hotel room now. ;)

fairytalelover
10-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
We used the entertainment card as well. (I've done a thread on this too.........search "entertainment" in this forum)

I can't seem to find your thread.

stinkerbell
10-22-2003, 11:46 AM
ftl.........I'll find it and bump it in the Forum. :)