PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Candy Cane Dates!

AVP
11-03-2014, 09:01 AM
http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/151582-2/Buena+Vista+Street+Candy+Cane-1.jpg

Disneyland candy canes were once one of those little Disney gems, known to only a small group of fans. Social media helped spread the word, but it was a Food Network special that really made them famous. Last year Disney expanded the offering to Trolley Treats, and doubled the number of days they are available.

Whether it's the deceptively simple recipe (the canes made in park contain no preservatives), or just the charm of watching candy makers cook, pull and shape the canes in front of you, people will eschew the readily-available pre-made canes and wait hours to get one fresh from the kitchen. Candy makers work in a hot, humid room to produce up to three batches a day, guarding against stray grains of sugar that can cause a batch to crystalize and be ruined.

Once cooled, the canes are sheathed in plastic and wrapped in bubble wrap, to be sold for $12.99 to a crowd of eager customers. Disney now issues wristbands at the candy location on candy cane days, and you should plan to get there at park opening to snag one. Each color-coded wristband corresponds to a batch. If you don't want to watch the candies being made, managers will tell you when to come back to claim your treat. No discounts apply, and there is a limit of one candy cane per person.

The official dates for 2014 are:

Disneyland Candy Palace
November 28; December 2, 5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 21, 23 & 24

Disney California Adventure Trolley Treats
November 29; December 1, 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22 & 25

GrumpyGoofyGuy
11-03-2014, 09:22 AM
So-How exactly does this process work on posted dates?

carolinakid
11-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Sorry, not a fan (of candy canes in general) but I'm happy for those who enjoy going through the hassle of getting a fresh one.

olegc
11-03-2014, 10:54 AM
So-How exactly does this process work on posted dates?

i think if you did a search on the forums for Candy Cane 2013 you'd get an idea. Basically when the park opens folks try to get to the Candy shop ASAP in order to stand in line and get a ticket. This ticket will grant you the ability to buy one (or is it two?) freshly made candy canes from that batch. Most days they do two (2) batches a day (EDIT - as AVP stated above three a day). That's basically the process. Yes - folks line up really early to get them, and I recall that in the past there were concerns over line saving spots, etc.

Some folks believe these are no different than the pre-packaged ones they sell there in the park so its up to you to determine how much "freshly made this morning by hand" is of value.

Maus
11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm not a fan either but I loooove to watch them being made.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
11-03-2014, 11:17 AM
I know we were there last year around 11AM and saw people coming back to collect their CC's with their wristbands/claim tickets. My wife and I are not early risers, but we're going to give it a go since there's 4 mornings posted during our trip this year. As I recall, the pre-packged ones were a couple bucks less and made by some candy company far away. They're probably not much different, it's just on our Disneyland bucket list to do this at least once!

curtsinore
11-03-2014, 04:55 PM
So, this is how it worked last year as I observed on the second Tuesday of December.
1. The day has a "T" so early entry to the right ticket holder.

2. Photography at the gate, so a great chance that a rope drop awaits, if rope drop, park will open 20-35 mins average early or different.

3. I entered the gate at 7:20 and walked to rope drop that was three families deep. The first person to arrive at the tape mark was behind me, so my guess, 10 gates, 6 people deep, 50-80 people entered the park with no concern about the candy cane.

4. The folks who made the commotion on the sidewalk for the wristband did walk fast/UPS shuffle. I turned to watch the process, not much of a line, I could have left my rope drop spot and joined the line. But peter pan was long wait for a early morning entry and the candy cane had no nostalgia nor have I ever been a fan of the sweet.

5. look for the Cast member, at the tape, in front of the candy store or confirm that line is for the wristband

6. Rope drop Main STreet is such an odd event. Each person has a different goal and nothing is singular, just a flow of folks to the many places to stand, whether it be floral mickey, Christmas tree, Train Station family photo on the steps, food, rope drop, locker, gift purchase, City hall, etc.

megzrg
11-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve right now, I am so excited! Two of those Candy Cane days happen during our trip. I love candy canes and have heard about the ones they make there in the park, and this year I am finally going to be there and may get one! :D

MadasaHatter
11-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I know we were there last year around 11AM and saw people coming back to collect their CC's with their wristbands/claim tickets. My wife and I are not early risers, but we're going to give it a go since there's 4 mornings posted during our trip this year. As I recall, the pre-packged ones were a couple bucks less and made by some candy company far away. They're probably not much different, it's just on our Disneyland bucket list to do this at least once!

I was told by the CMs that they were made in the park just the night before. I was watching the whole process. It is amazing and THAT is what should be on the bucket list. It is all about the process not the actual candy cane and no one in the world would be able to tell whether it was made that morning or the night before. The price reflects the MAN POWER to make it .....not the ingredients....When you watch it you understand why no one does this anymore. It is so very very cool. And guess what the candy cane tastes like.....a candy cane. I carried mine with me all day and rode attraction after attraction and then I was just standing around listening to the Dapper Dans and it slipped out of my hands and broke. So I ate it. Yet another magical Christmas trip. You will have so much fun. ( I vote for sleeping in but I am Mad!)

Malcon10t
11-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I buy one each year for my granddaughter. I usually get one of the "night befores".

megzrg
11-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Can we still watch them make the candy canes even if we aren't in line to buy a fresh one?

adriennek
11-04-2014, 09:03 PM
When you watch it you understand why no one does this anymore.

Actually there are a few candy companies around that still make candy canes by hand. You just have to know where to find them. This is a shop nearish to me (http://www.loganscandies.com/). They actually offer tours each holiday season - they start booking in JULY and they sell out quickly. I've seen other companies that do the same. It's a fabulous art.

olegc
11-04-2014, 10:11 PM
It's a fabulous art.

yes - and one that also requires strength and the ability to deal with a large hot melted piece of candy. I saw that once on the parks blog way before Guy Fieri showed it and I HAD to see it in person. I have never waited for a fresh one (night befores for me) but love watching the process.

megzrg
11-05-2014, 05:24 AM
yes - and one that also requires strength and the ability to deal with a large hot melted piece of candy. I saw that once on the parks blog way before Guy Fieri showed it and I HAD to see it in person. I have never waited for a fresh one (night befores for me) but love watching the process.

Thanks, that answers my question as to whether we have to be waiting for a fresh one to be able to watch them make it.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
11-05-2014, 05:59 AM
I sure remember reading the label on the ones that were out for non wrist band holders at Trolley Treats last year, and noting they were made somewhere other than Disneyland. :confused:

candles71
11-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Thanks, that answers my question as to whether we have to be waiting for a fresh one to be able to watch them make it.
Yes, you can and many do. Just remember the window is quite small.

MadasaHatter
11-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Actually there are a few candy companies around that still make candy canes by hand. You just have to know where to find them. This is a shop nearish to me (http://www.loganscandies.com/). They actually offer tours each holiday season - they start booking in JULY and they sell out quickly. I've seen other companies that do the same. It's a fabulous art.

I should have said "a Handful" My friend's store sold them years ago from a company in Colorado I want to say....and it was a very hard sell without the dudes making them in front of you and before the FOOD NETWORK ran the special. People just couldn't understand paying 10 bucks for a candy cane when they could get one for 99cents at Walgreens......I get it now!

MadasaHatter
11-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I sure remember reading the label on the ones that were out for non wrist band holders at Trolley Treats last year, and noting they were made somewhere other than Disneyland. :confused:

I did NOT read the fine print and I was told by the CM that they were made by Disney but in their off site kitchen.....and that was about 5 years ago. It looked EXACTLY like the ones they were making. I just really wanted to believe in Xmas Magic.....and well, I am mad!