PDA

View Full Version : Queen Mary transplant to DCA/Paradise Pier

Pages : [1] 2

GongFishuang
10-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Just a suggestion. Do you think it could work? (supposing Disney would foot the bill and both the cities of Anaheim and Long Beach would agree) Discuss.

Disneyphile
10-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Well, considering the actual size of the Queen Mary and DCA's lagoon, I think it'd be a bit of a tight fit. ;)

AVP
10-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Isn't the Queen Mary a little big (http://www.queenmary.com/QMweb/html/QMstat.html) for Paradise Bay?

AVP

Gemini Cricket
10-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Isn't the Queen Mary a little big (http://www.queenmary.com/QMweb/html/QMstat.html) for Paradise Bay?

Yes. But to confirm, I'll be going there next weekend for a wedding reception. I'll bring my ruler.
:D

tjrj
10-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Yes. But to confirm, I'll be going there next weekend for a wedding reception. I'll bring my ruler.
:D

Re: reception-think you'll have a grand time GC. My aunt and uncle were re-married on the Queen Mary and it was awesome. Have fun!

sleepyjeff
10-16-2003, 03:09 PM
In that most of Paradise Pier is comprised of rides that are similar to those of traveling carnivals...........would it not be easier to just transport Paradise Pier to Long Beach;)

disneyboy7
10-16-2003, 03:58 PM
THe Queen Mary is now a haunted hotel. It was hit during WWII and some sailors were drowned. It could be turned into an attractions. Guests ride in hallowed out torpedoes and see ghosts. The restaurant and ballroom could remain as is. Hmm...

Demigod121
10-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Dunno, something about the view of the pier from the other side....

Hmmm......

-Demigod

Not Afraid
10-16-2003, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure I understand, but I don't think my fair city is going to give up it's pride and joy so easily. As far as paradise pier, the Long Beach downtown redevolment (ie: The Pike) is in full swing with PP. Both Long Beach and Disney missed their chances when the Disney Seas plan was axed.

Lashbear
10-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Doesn't the Indiana Jones queueline pass through Long Beach at one stage ? ;)

TheatreTech
10-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Doesn't the Indiana Jones queueline pass through Long Beach at one stage ? ;)
Yes, it begins right after mile marker 37. ;):p

Demigod121
10-17-2003, 07:01 AM
Yes, but only in the Summer, when the lines are so long they have to divert it around the 405/605 interchange.

Demigod

disneyboy7
10-17-2003, 07:20 AM
I thought I saw Los Alamitos Blvd when a CM came in through one of the emergency exits...

Not Afraid
10-17-2003, 07:51 AM
So, THAT explains all of the CMs I see on 2nd Street in Belmont Shore!

tracilicious
10-17-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Demigod121
Yes, but only in the Summer, when the lines are so long they have to divert it around the 405/605 interchange.

oh, you mean the times when the line is sooo long, yet they make people wait outside as opposed to that nice beautiful indoor queue? oh wait, that's always. :rolleyes:

Demigod121
10-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Don't you drive through Downtown LA during the Indy ride? Oh, that's just fake blowguns, not real bullets I feel going by....

-Demigod

RStar
10-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok,Ok.............

Well, how about a smaller replica, perhaps just the bow jetting out somewhere?

It wouldn't need to be in the lagoon. It could be a shop where the boat is the building, and water added around the outside. But they would need to pay for the rights to the Queen Mary name.

Probably will never happen.

Demigod121
10-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Better yet, how about 1/2 the Titanic jutting up from the middle of the lagoon at about a 45 degree angle, and it could be like a haunted ship-type boat ride?

Nah......

-Demigod

mousketeer
10-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Being a major Queen Mary entusiast, I have to say that is the worst idea since Mount Minnie and Mickey.

Demigod121
10-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Geez, tough crowd...

-Demigod

Klutch
10-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Most people outside California have no idea what the Queen Mary is. If they have heard of it, they really don't associate it with California. It was a British cruise liner, after all.

I remember seeing John Carpenter's "Escape from LA". I thought the movie was OK, but I remember thinking that people outside of SoCal wouldn't recognize many of the "sites" such as Matterhorn Bobleds, Queen Mary, and the hospital in Beverly Hills. Not surprisingly, the movie bombed; kinda like DCA.

GongFishuang
10-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by RStar
Ok,Ok.............

Well, how about a smaller replica, perhaps just the bow jetting out somewhere?

It wouldn't need to be in the lagoon. It could be a shop where the boat is the building, and water added around the outside. But they would need to pay for the rights to the Queen Mary name.

Yea, you have the idea. Not the Queen Mary herself but an iconic presence. Anyone remember that one hotel in Anaheim with a small replica of the distinctive Anaheim Convention Center duplicated as the front entrance driveway? (yes in an all WHITE, "futuristic" parabolic architectural design à la 1967 WED Enterprises Tomorrowland )

Perhaps along Anaheim Boulevard to block the view of the Convention Center and serving as the façade for a show building for an exciting, new E-ticket attraction, the Queen Mary could enhance the Paradise Pier quarter while further fortifying the park's thematic cohesion... (the Golden State as tourist attraction, as the site of glamorous leisure.)

Considering the Tower of Terror will soon dominate over one end of the park's skyline, an accompanying ocean liner will serve as a fitting addition for a park conceived with the out-of-state visitor in mind and, to speak cynically, with their bed and board revenue in mind also. Why not play up the fantasy luxury motif for an otherwise "adult" theme park? Also doesn't Disney own Bravo? Maybe they could replace who wants to be a millionaire with "Queer Eye for the Queen Mary," an interactive game show where fashionable men compete in an all-out showtunes-and-nautica trivia competition where the winner receives a manicure and facial. Or not.

They could just bring back the X-games moto dirtpit and arcade tent.

GongFishuang
10-17-2003, 07:23 PM
http://emedia.art.sunysb.edu/britov/mary.jpg

[Mod. note: Outsized inline image converted to link. -- Andrew]

disneyboy7
10-17-2003, 07:55 PM
I thought I could win a manicure, facial AND massage with the current version of the game. Next week will be my first time to DCA. I was expecting a FABULOUS time.
Oh well, at least my dog will lick my feet.

GongFishuang
10-17-2003, 08:00 PM
http://emedia.art.sunysb.edu/britov/come.jpg

[Mod. note: Outsized inline image converted to link. -- Andrew]