PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort Precautions

DisneylandKid
09-11-2001, 05:40 PM
Do you think Disneyland will do anything more to improve their security after the horrific occurances in NYC/Washington/etc??

Here are a few questions:
Is Disneyland a "no-fly-zone?"
Do you think Disneyland will instal metal detectors of some kind?

MactechCM
09-11-2001, 06:28 PM
At one point the airspace over Disney was a "no-fly" zone - to keep reminders of the outside world away (banners, etc). It is no longer this way.

Lost Boy
09-11-2001, 06:39 PM
And does anybody know why it is no longer a "No Fly Zone"?
Because Michael Eisner refused to pay the small amount of $$ in order to keep this rule in effect.

DisneylandKid
09-11-2001, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
Because Michael Eisner refused to pay the small amount of $$ in order to keep this rule in effect.
That is terrible.

Ralph Wiggum
09-11-2001, 06:53 PM

I hope you are reporting fact and not just speculation!

Lost Boy
09-11-2001, 07:07 PM
It's a fact, told to me by a person who worked within the main offices at the time.

cstephens
09-11-2001, 07:14 PM

I would expect that the twin towers of the World Trade Center were no fly zones as well.

/cs

Ralph Wiggum
09-11-2001, 07:25 PM
Isnt all of the air above the city no fly zone because it is owned by those buildings...i remember hearing something like that!

Kevin Yee
09-11-2001, 10:35 PM
It's a fact, told to me by a person who worked within the main offices at the time.

I heard the same thing!

And yet, several months later, I found out that it wasn't really Disney's fault. The FAA would no longer allow certain zones to be "bought" by any corporations - Disney basically had no choice in the matter. This is one time when Disney wasn't losing out by being cheap.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-12-2001, 07:31 AM
Have you ever tried listening to Mozart while low-flying aircraft are overhead?

Overflights are a fact of life at Hollywood Bowl concerts, despite the fact that the L. A. Philharmonic has clearly marked the Bowl area with searchlights and strobe lights, and has requests on file for local ATCs to route flights to avoid the Bowl.

I doubt that Disneyland could do much better.

splbound
09-12-2001, 09:17 AM
Boy, I will loudly agree that the airspace over DL is no longer a no-fly.....

As a resident of Anaheim (in close proximity to DL) ALL through the summer months now those pesky little planes fly all day long.

"Tan.....don't burn.........use coppertone........."

I hate it!

DisneylandBoy
09-12-2001, 05:13 PM
I personally have never seen a plane fly over Disneyland, and I'm glad. That would make me very mad.:mad:

DisneylandKid
09-12-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLvr
I personally have never seen a plane fly over Disneyland, and I'm glad. That would make me very mad.:mad:
Actually, when I was at DCA on Sunday, I saw a plane with an advertisement banner fly overhead. Now, it may not have been directly above the Resort, but it was difficult to tell for sure.

Ralph Wiggum
09-12-2001, 06:34 PM
I noticed they usually on weekends fly between disneyland and edison field!!

Dreamstaker
09-13-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by splbound
Boy, I will loudly agree that the airspace over DL is no longer a no-fly.....

As a resident of Anaheim (in close proximity to DL) ALL through the summer months now those pesky little planes fly all day long.

"Tan.....don't burn.........use coppertone........."

I hate it!

ditto

and the blimps and the helicopters round and round. Saw a light in the sky yesterday and freaked, then realized it was a police helicopter.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-14-2001, 01:26 PM
Getting back to the original question....

I was at Disneyland on Thurs and they had security in white uniforms checking everyone's bags. They seemed really nice.

The only other change I saw was american flags all over the place, tied to the spikes on the roof of the entrance turnstiles.

Nigel2
09-14-2001, 02:13 PM
Speaking of the flags, I think I saw on this site that they bought a ton of flags to hand out to guests this weekend. Is that really wise, since most will proably end up in pockets since its kinda hard to carry them all day with the possiblity of loosing them on attractions.

ripplededge
09-14-2001, 03:37 PM
Yes, security has stepped it up a few.

As said by Cadaverous Pallor "I was at Disneyland on Thurs and they had security in white uniforms checking everyone's bags. They seemed really nice."

Yes, there should be a DLR security officer at every turnstile. Also, they have doubled their usual officers that stand next to DCA and DL backstage gates. Also vehicles are inspected at every gate thoroughly, even the CM's inside the shuttle coming into Harbor Pointe to clock in. A security officer comes into the shuttle and makes sure everyone has an I.D. As for the inspections, if the vehicle is too large it is sent to another parking lot where it is searched through and then sent to their desired destination.

Security is really tight there now. I actually like all the improvements and think it should stay this way. But, unfortunately management says a lot of people are angry with this new setup... but I could care less as long as the people are safe.

mspangler
09-14-2001, 07:19 PM
The increased security is a good idea. I don't think that they'll go as far as installing metal detectors, but we'll see what happens.

FantasmicFan82
09-14-2001, 08:12 PM
Metal detectors in from of DL would just make it look wierd. SFMM has MEtal detectors, then the main gats to get into either park. If it's MY safety, so anywhere it is, I don't care what they do, as long as I can be at DL, SFMM, USH, KBF - I'm happy to be havin' fun.:)

kualakuddlebear
10-01-2001, 03:23 PM
I completely agree.... security.... no matter what it takes. As long as my family and I can enjoy our vacation knowing that we are safe. I LOve my children and will stand in line as long as it takes to insure their safety. And to all of the people whom are complaining they need to go somewhere else if they don't like it.... Just as I would not be going if they hadn't geared up security!

Cadaverous Pallor
10-01-2001, 04:57 PM
Just a note - be sure to see the other thread about security at Dland (so I don't have to repeat myself):
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2391

kualakuddlebear
10-01-2001, 10:43 PM
Well.... everyone IS intitled to their own opinion. As am I ...:)
I believe not living our lives is giving into terrorists. I think that increasing security is both the smart & responsible thing to do. I realize that nothing is 100% fool proof but it is the parks responsiblity to make Every effort in trying to keep their guests and the children who visit the parks as safe as possible. I will not stop living or hide in fear BUT I WILL do everything in my power to ensure the safety of my children. I pray that people do not give into loud month people whom are to impatient to wait in longer lines in the efforts for increased safety. There are very real threats of more terrorist attacks and it would be foolish to do not to at least make it more difficult for them to pull off. Everyone needs to just slow down, be aware of our surroundings and enjoy live while at the same time trying to protect all that is precious to us. And that is my opition :) Thank you for yours:)