PDA

View Full Version : 2015 refurbishment schedules

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
10-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Disney has released the refurbishment schedule for projects starting before January 12, 2015, and it definitely impacts anyone planning a trip in the first four months of the year. The schedule also raises some questions and fuels some rumors about coming changes.

The most noticeable closure is an 11-month "refurbishment" of Luigi's Flying Tires at Disney California Adventure. Disney has yet to address rumors that the ride will be torn out and replaced with a new attraction, but the company clearly plans some major change that requires the ride to be closed for almost a year.

Soarin' Over California is scheduled to close January 1 through May 14, a lengthy refurbishment that points to the long-awaited installation of digital projectors, and possibly the debut of a new film rumored to be in production.

It's hard to believe that it's been five years since World of Color debuted. The show will close January 7 through March 12 for refurbishment of the show platform, and, again, possibly programming of a new show.

Over at Disneyland, preparations for the 60th anniversary seem to begin January 12, with several lengthy refurbishments starting as soon as the holiday decorations disappear. The timing is unfortunate for those coming to town for the inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend events, scheduled for January 15–18.

One interesting project takes place before Christmas: The December 1–18 closure of Storybook Land Canal Boats. Since this attraction rarely closes without the closure of Casey Jr. Circus Train, and it would not be a surprise to see that attraction added to the schedule.

Disneyland

Mark Twain Riverboat – closed through November 28 for refurbishment.
it's a small world – closed October 20 through November 6 to install the holiday overlay.
Plaza Inn – closed October 27 through November 6 for refurbishment.
Big Thunder Ranch – closed November 1–6 for transition from Halloween to Christmas overlay.
Space Mountain – closed November 3 to remove the Halloween overlay.
Jungle Cruise – closed November 3 - 13 for refurbishment.
Pinocchio's Daring Journey – closed November 12 & 13 for refurbishment.
Snow White's Scary Adventures– closed November 12 & 13 for refurbishment.
Casey Jr. Circus Trains – closed December 1–18 for refurbishment.
Storybook Land Canal Boats – closed December 1–18 for refurbishment.

Matterhorn Bobsleds – closed January 5 through May 13 for refurbishment.
Haunted Mansion – closed January 12 - 22 to remove the holiday overlay.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – closed January 12 through February 5 for refurbishment.
Splash Mountain – closed January 12 through April 2 for refurbishment.
Snow White's Grotto (wishing well) – closed January 12 through April 30 for refurbishment.
Peter Pan's Flight – closed January 12 through May 7 for refurbishment.

Disney California Adventure

Boudin Bakery Tour – closed October 21, 2014 through January 16, 2015 for refurbishment.
Turtle Talk with Crush – closed October 28 & 29 for refurbishment.
Goofy's Sky School – closes December 1 for refurbishment.
Toy Story Midway Mania – closed December 8–11 for refurbishment.
Blue Sky Cellar – closed through October 2, 2015.

Tower of Terror – closed January 5-8 for refurbishment.
Soarin' Over California – closed January 6 through May 14 for refurbishment.
World of Color – dark January 7 through March 12 for refurbishment.
Luigi's Flying Tires – closes January 12. Scheduled to reopen December 1, 2015.

Malcon10t
10-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Question - The Disneyland website shows Jungle Cruise closed from Nov 3-13. I haven't seen it on Mouse Planet. Clues? (Jingle Cruise??)

BrandonH
10-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Why are Matterhorn, Peter Pan's Flight, and Splash Mountain closed for so long? Are any of them due for a major overhaul, or could this be related to the anniversary celebration?

bumblebeeonarose
10-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Why are Matterhorn, Peter Pan's Flight, and Splash Mountain closed for so long? Are any of them due for a major overhaul, or could this be related to the anniversary celebration?

Matterhorn is always closed! LOL! I think that Peter Pan and Snow White may be getting plusses like those at Alice. That'd be nice.

I saw somewhere that Casey was closed on December 1. We're visiting the 1st and 2nd. I was sad because my 18month old is very into trains right now, and I thought he would enjoy riding the little train. Of course there is always the big train to ride.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like after May 14 is the time to plan our last trip for this AP. I wish they would announce when the anniversary fun actually begins. In 2005 it started in May. I wonder if they'll kick it off at Memorial weekend with another all day/night party. Our APs expire June 14, I am hoping we'll get to visit during the anniversary fun, but I was also hoping to visit in late May rather than early June. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope the announcement comes early enough to reserve "cheap" hotel nights.

Shortpix77
10-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Matterhorn is always closed! LOL! I think that Peter Pan and Snow White may be getting plusses like those at Alice. That'd be nice.

Snow White's Scary Adventures is only closed for two days, so I'm doubting it's getting an Alice-like overhaul. It's a possibility for Peter Pan (that would be cool). Snow White's Grotto (wishing well) is the one on the schedule that will be closed for a long stretch of time.

carolinakid
10-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Hope they replace Luigi's with something better. Luigi's was the only flop in Carsland, imo. Flying saucers didn't work then (1960's), still don't work now (2010's).

AVP
10-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Question - The Disneyland website shows Jungle Cruise closed from Nov 3-13. I haven't seen it on Mouse Planet. Clues? (Jingle Cruise??)I've updated the schedule with Jungle Cruise, plus confirmation of the Casey Jr. closure, as well as the on again, off again Goofy's Sky School project.

Adrienne

corona
10-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I wonder .... the grotto closed for 3 1/2 months :eek:

[There are some "118" and "811" typos]

AVP
10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
I wonder .... the grotto closed for 3 1/2 months :eek:Scary, right?

olegc
10-21-2014, 09:33 AM
and the grotto was just closed for a long time in 2013 as well. There must be an issue with water leakage or something - or they plan on adding high rails to the fencing along the stream and the well. Egad - that would look awful.

I had commented on the update list that having Storybook closed in the middle of December was odd - they always do a great job with the mini Christmas decorations.

Who knows if Pinocchio and Snow refurbs need longer than two days to install projection units. The Alice refurb also included finishing the structure for the vine - which probably required inspections galore, etc. I think the Pan refurb requires more time because of the flying nature of the attraction. However, who knows unless you're really working on any of them.

the rumor (and I say RUMOR) on luigis is it would be some sort of whip-like attraction. I just keep thinking about DCA going back to Carney rides again (shudder) and you already have something similar to that with Mater's.

Mermaid
10-21-2014, 04:44 PM
We are going in February right before K turns 3. I knew there would be a lot of closures, so this doesn't feel too bad.... although I worry how many more are coming. I figured Splash would be down so while that's my fave, I'm not surprised. I had heard about the Soarin' closure already, so I already was bummed and recovered from that. We don't really get the Peter Pan hype, so although we would have ridden it, no big loss for us. I am a little sad about WoC. We have always stuck close to bedtime and we are going to try to have a late night. WOC seemed like a good choice for nighttime entertainment as it runs a bit earlier (often) than the fireworks, is close to VGC and we haven't seen it, but oh well. DH pointed out now if we get a theme park view, we don't have to worry about noise from a late showing.

I am bummed about Matterhorn. I think I have told this story, but M was a colicky baby. He would scream bloody murder every night from 5-10. This lasted from 3-14 weeks. He fussed all day, but the nightly crying was brutal. It sounds silly, but I used to rock him and picture the day I would ride the Matterhorn with my little boy who wouldn't be this difficult baby forever. This is the first trip he is tall enough and even though I really don't love the Matterhorn, I was really looking forward to this. Oh well. There will be another trip. DH said next trip we are going in June, lol!

We did figure that is 3 less rides M can ride that K can't, so that is a good thing. We will be rider swapping, but she is old enough to feel left out. Next trip, she should be at least 40 inches.

bumblebeeonarose
10-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Snow White's Scary Adventures is only closed for two days, so I'm doubting it's getting an Alice-like overhaul. It's a possibility for Peter Pan (that would be cool). Snow White's Grotto (wishing well) is the one on the schedule that will be closed for a long stretch of time.

Sorry I misread that. I thought it was closed a second time. Although, I did wonder when I saw the Pinocchio and Snow White closures in the update last week if they could do much in two days. Probably not. It seems like it would take longer. It's probably just a clean and freshen job. Too bad, it'd have been nice if they could have gotten more of them fixed up for the 60th.

We did figure that is 3 less rides M can ride that K can't, so that is a good thing. We will be rider swapping, but she is old enough to feel left out. Next trip, she should be at least 40 inches.

Usually DH and I take our son to do something else while DD gets to ride a big ride. This trip he was tall enough to ride Mater's (loved it), so my DH took him on that while DD and I rode GRR.

Mermaid
10-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Usually DH and I take our son to do something else while DD gets to ride a big ride. This trip he was tall enough to ride Mater's (loved it), so my DH took him on that while DD and I rode GRR.

That's the plan for us too, but we figured it is easier the less we need to do it!

bumblebeeonarose
10-22-2014, 04:56 PM
That's the plan for us too, but we figured it is easier the less we need to do it!

True! Child Swapping takes so much time. It'll be nice when they're all big enough to ride together.

3Princesses1Prince
10-22-2014, 04:57 PM
True! Child Swapping takes so much time. It'll be nice when they're all big enough to ride together.

We are at the point now, it is nice!

DisneyGator
10-24-2014, 03:33 PM
We are at the point now, it is nice!

Us too! And we're so excited. Everyone finally got to 40 inches. Glad we're going in November to catch all the stuff that'll be closed for our February trip.

As far as the Matterhorn goes, how about they shut it down for about two years and completely re-do the whole thing! Quit this minor maintenance garbage and make this an attraction that's worth hitting more than once every other trip. One that doesn't require a chiropractor and massage afterwards.

bumblebeeonarose
10-24-2014, 08:36 PM
It was closed for the better part of a year, but that is when they installed the new sleds that everyone hates so much.

Janis and Aaron
10-24-2014, 10:09 PM
As far as the Matterhorn goes, how about they shut it down for about two years and completely re-do the whole thing! Quit this minor maintenance garbage and make this an attraction that's worth hitting more than once every other trip. One that doesn't require a chiropractor and massage afterwards.

Amen to that! I don't hate the new ride vehicles, I just think the entire thing is bad, bad, bad right now. Too painful!

sjhanksaz
11-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Are the 2015 referbs a pretty sure thing?

AVP
11-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Are the 2015 referbs a pretty sure thing?Not at all, and if you check the weekly Updates, you can see how they've changed since this was posted.

AVP

sjhanksaz
11-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Not at all, and if you check the weekly Updates, you can see how they've changed since this was posted.

AVP

We are planning a trip in early 2015/ Been a few years since our last trip since we did WDW last year. We held a family council and all wanted to still go even with a lot of favorite rides possibly down.

Any of them that end up open after all would be a great bonus in our eyes.

MadasaHatter
11-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Ride closures are very tricky. I would like to go to WDW during the off season but there are many rides I want to ride and want them to be open. It has been 20 years since I was there. I go to DLR at least once a year so if I miss a ride (and I miss a lot just due to time constraints and favorites and luck of the draw etc.) I just make it more of a priority the next trip. With the parks open 365 days a year and the crazy intensity of some of the rides (RSR) and the decorations of iasw and HM etc. you have to know they will be down for periods of times. I just try and focus on ALL that there is to do and adjust accordingly. It is hard though so I commiserate with you all......

Rapunzelthorn
11-28-2014, 05:07 PM
We have moved our trip up a day to start on January 11th so that we can hit some of these rides before they go down on the 12th. Thank you for the update, or we wouldn't have known enough to adjust our dates.

Drince88
11-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Are the 2015 referbs a pretty sure thing?

Not at all, and if you check the weekly Updates, you can see how they've changed since this was posted.

AVP

We have moved our trip up a day to start on January 11th so that we can hit some of these rides before they go down on the 12th. Thank you for the update, or we wouldn't have known enough to adjust our dates.

I hope you checked the info int he weekly updates, since that's more up to date!

Rapunzelthorn
12-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I hope you checked the info int he weekly updates, since that's more up to date!

Yes, good point. Thank you. It turns out that most of them are on the official Disneyland Resort Calendar for the dates that we are going. So, moving our dates up one day to hit some of the rides before they go down looks like it will work out well. It will also give us a late night in the parks (which we haven't done in years). Although, considering it will be in January, I think that we are going to be freezing. :)