PDA

View Full Version : Another AP Party [November 18; registration now closed]

Pages : [1] 2 3

bumblebeeonarose
10-20-2014, 03:42 PM
We just received an invitation to an AP party on November 18, too bad it's a few weeks before we go to Disneyland. It says it's for those whose passholder anniversary is coming up, but our APs expire in June. Seems odd.

I just linked my AP to my Disneyland.com account to check that they have my expiration correct, and it says June 14.

Janis and Aaron
10-20-2014, 07:51 PM
We got the invite too - yay! Our expiration date is in December, so for us at least it makes sense. :)

A Shellie Day
10-20-2014, 08:26 PM
I got it, too. Our passes expire in January.

Gone2Disneyland
10-20-2014, 08:59 PM
I've been an AP for over ten years. Has always expired in December but have never received an invitation to one of these events since I first heard of them. :( :crying: :confused: Oh well...

AVP
10-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Here's what I wrote about this event for the DLR Update that runs tomorrow.

If your Disneyland Resort annual passport expires in December, 2014 or January 2015, be on the lookout for an invitation to a special annual passholder event. Targeted at passholders with soon-to-expire passes, and event is the fourth event in a series designed to improve passholder renewal and retention rates.

As indicated by the Santa Mickey on the invitation, the after-hours event on Tuesday, November 18 is holiday themed. But unlike the earlier three events, this party will be held at Disneyland, not Disney California Adventure.

As of this writing, the passholder website has not been updated since the fall event to provide details about the next gathering, so we don't know the exact eligibility dates for this party.

Once the dates are announced, and if your pass expires during the target window, visit the Annual Passholder website starting October 28 at 10 .m. Pacific to register for the event. Eligible passholders can invite up to five annual passholder guests regardless of whether the guests' passes expire during the same window. Be prepared with the names and pass numbers of your guests, as you must provide those while registering Registration closes November 15, 2014.

SteveMartin
10-21-2014, 06:00 AM
Improve passholder renewal and retention rates? Interesting. With the recent significant jumps in costs, I thought they were trying to reduce the number of APs.

bumblebeeonarose
10-21-2014, 07:28 AM
I've been an AP for over ten years. Has always expired in December but have never received an invitation to one of these events since I first heard of them. :( :crying: :confused: Oh well...

You don't have to have the invitation to register. Your expiration date just has to fall in the window. We can't go anyway, but even though we received an invite, if our pass doesn't expire in whatever window they put we can't register. I wondered if it was the last one...It'd be nice if there was one we could attend closer to our expiration date, but we'll see.

currence
10-21-2014, 07:38 AM

If you pass has always expired in Dec, I think this is the first event that you are eligible for. If I recall, they didn't start these until January.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been an AP holder since '94 and haven't received an invitation (yet?).

LavenderBlue
10-21-2014, 08:10 AM

We are up for renewal in December. If we get one, we'll invite you... provided you perform well at Sugar Rush on Sunday. Ha ha ha. Just kidding. I'll keep you posted, but let's all save the date on the calendar. We can have a Naboombu All-Star party and the party. Hooray!

dlfansx4
10-21-2014, 08:35 AM
I received the invite for this yesterday as well. It confused me at first since my pass expires in Feb. but then I noticed it was addressed to "The xxxxx Family". My DS's pass expires in December so he must have triggered the invite.

I would love to go to one of these but they are always on school nights and I don't want to keep the kids out that late. Maybe we will go just for the first couple hours of the event.

cstephens
10-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Improve passholder renewal and retention rates? Interesting. With the recent significant jumps in costs, I thought they were trying to reduce the number of APs.

I've heard this comment a lot, and it confuses me. If they were trying to reduce the number of APs, they'd do away with the monthly payment option.

SteveMartin
10-21-2014, 04:30 PM
I've heard this comment a lot, and it confuses me. If they were trying to reduce the number of APs, they'd do away with the monthly payment option.

So, how does the major price increase 2 years ago square with the idea that they need to improve renewal and retention? I know that the increase made me think long and hard about renewing (I did renew).

adriennek
10-21-2014, 04:39 PM
ONE person in our household expires in December, so we've been invited. But, it's both a school night and a meeting night for 2/5 of our household. So I'm in a quandry.

currence
10-21-2014, 04:49 PM
So, how does the major price increase 2 years ago square with the idea that they need to improve renewal and retention? I know that the increase made me think long and hard about renewing (I did renew).

Supply/demand. I think you are both right. They do want to reduce the number of AP holders since the park is way too crowded on certain non-blackout days. BUT, they would rather make as much money as they can on those who keep their passes. So they raise the prices pretty dramatically and hope that it is enough that a lot of people do not renew (and they stopped selling new So Cal Passes). A party like this one may entice someone like SM who is on the fence to go ahead and renew - at the higher prices. They don't want all of the passholders to go away anymore than they want too many people to become a passholder. But at the current prices (ignoring inflation) they seem to only need to keep about 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 passholders as compared to 5-10 years ago.

I have spoken with a number of people who used to be passholders who have elected to not renew because the price was higher than they wanted to spend. Some of them have moved on to APs at Legoland or Knotts Berry Farm.

There is definitely a sweet spot that Disney is aiming for. And despite how expensive it is to get into the parks these days as a family of four, the crowd levels suggest that they can still increase the prices. I hope Disney continues to do special events for passholders to create a perception of value beyond just entry into the parks.

currence
10-21-2014, 04:50 PM
ONE person in our household expires in December, so we've been invited. But, it's both a school night and a meeting night for 2/5 of our household. So I'm in a quandry.

We normally HOST a meeting at our house on Tuesdays. It is also a school night for us. And I think I live a bit further away than you.

I'm also in a quandry :)

SteveMartin
10-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Supply/demand. I think you are both right. They do want to reduce the number of AP holders since the park is way too crowded on certain non-blackout days. BUT, they would rather make as much money as they can on those who keep their passes. So they raise the prices pretty dramatically and hope that it is enough that a lot of people do not renew (and they stopped selling new So Cal Passes). A party like this one may entice someone like SM who is on the fence to go ahead and renew - at the higher prices. They don't want all of the passholders to go away anymore than they want too many people to become a passholder. But at the current prices (ignoring inflation) they seem to only need to keep about 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 passholders as compared to 5-10 years ago.

I have spoken with a number of people who used to be passholders who have elected to not renew because the price was higher than they wanted to spend. Some of them have moved on to APs at Legoland or Knotts Berry Farm.

There is definitely a sweet spot that Disney is aiming for. And despite how expensive it is to get into the parks these days as a family of four, the crowd levels suggest that they can still increase the prices. I hope Disney continues to do special events for passholders to create a perception of value beyond just entry into the parks.

Well stated.

cstephens
10-21-2014, 06:19 PM

Every time there's been a price increase in the last multiple years, there's a thread about the uproar and some people saying they're not renewing anymore. And yet, every year, the parks are packed. So whatever they're doing, it's working. But as I said, lots of people say that without the monthly payment option, they wouldn't be able to afford to have a pass.

olegc
10-21-2014, 06:28 PM
An interesting note I read was that the big price increase had an unexpected consequence : an increase in the number of deluxe passes. A lot of folks opted to spend more instead of missing out. So now even more deluxe passes are in the mix.more days of more crowds so I'm guessing another increase will be coming.

SteveMartin
10-21-2014, 06:46 PM
It's a positive feedback loop! We're doomed. :)

bumblebeeonarose
10-21-2014, 08:23 PM
An interesting note I read was that the big price increase had an unexpected consequence : an increase in the number of deluxe passes. A lot of folks opted to spend more instead of missing out. So now even more deluxe passes are in the mix.more days of more crowds so I'm guessing another increase will be coming.

This could be good though. If local APs buy the higher pass then they don't HAVE to go on Sundays. Maybe it will spread the weekend crowds out better. Also, they won't be blocked out all summer either, which means their visits can be spread throughout the summer instead of the weeks right before and after summer block out dates.

olegc
10-22-2014, 09:44 AM
This could be good though. If local APs buy the higher pass then they don't HAVE to go on Sundays. Maybe it will spread the weekend crowds out better. Also, they won't be blocked out all summer either, which means their visits can be spread throughout the summer instead of the weeks right before and after summer block out dates.

The word was that tda was nervous. I know from previous discussion with an ops manager that tda believes pass holders will come every day they can. This us why premiums actually concern them. Go figure - not like we have jobs it anything outside of our love of Disney parks :rolleyes:

adriennek
10-22-2014, 10:04 AM
We normally HOST a meeting at our house on Tuesdays. It is also a school night for us. And I think I live a bit further away than you.

I'm also in a quandry :)

If you live further, it's actually only a difference of a few minutes or maybe a mile or two. #RandomTrivia

currence
10-22-2014, 03:07 PM
If you live further, it's actually only a difference of a few minutes or maybe a mile or two. #RandomTrivia

Good to know. I got our postcard in the mail and I really want to go. Now to decide if its completely irresponsible to bring my children 'just for a little bit' or if I should find a babysitter and/or husband to stay home with them. My problem is that my regular babysitter is also a Disney AP holder and would probably be part of my +5 if I do go.

Your kids are older - you should totally go :)

adriennek
10-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Your kids are older - you should totally go :)

So it turns out, that meeting isn't happening that particular night... I'm totally considering it.

queenbetsey
10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
has anyone been to one of these yet? what all do the do? do they have the fireworks? are all the rides open etc? any info would be great thanks folks