PDA

View Full Version : Never been to the park... now what?

rwabels
10-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Bringing the family (6 & 16) for a first-time visit in a couple weeks. Will be there on a Monday and Tuesday. Any crucial tips, park strategies, not-to-be-missed rides, attractions, etc. will be helpful. Even the most basic stuff: for instance...I'll be driving to park, so where should I park the rental car?

TwinGemII
10-15-2003, 02:14 PM
:D O-M-G!!! HOW EXCITING! Your first trip to Disney Land! Really?

Are you getting the park hopper so you can go to Cali Adventure as well?

Well, let's stick to Disney for the strategies ;)

Since you're going on a Monday and Tuesday the crowds really shouldn't be that bad. If I'm not mistaken, I think the park will close around 10pm.

Ok~ Parking is the easy part. It's $8 for cars and I think $12 for vans in the large covered parking structure.

IMPORTANT!! GET THE FAST PASSES FOR MAJOR RIDES!! These are FREE and in the area of the ride you want to get on. You will have to use your ticket to get the pass. TRY AND ALWAYS HAVE 2 FAST PASSES IN YOUR HANDS AT ALL TIMES! That way you are sure to get on the best rides!

MAJOR ATTRACTIONS:
Splash Mountain (when it's running)
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Carribean
India Jones
Matterhorn (a little rough for a 6 year old)

OTHERS:
Mr. Toads Wild Ride
Snow White
Peter Pan
Alice in Wonderland
Small World
Roger Rabbit
Winnie the Pooh Ride

Misc Fun stuff:
Tom Sawyers Island
Jungle Cruise
Tarzan Tree
Autotopia
Tomorrow Land (not much going on in this land but take a visit)

HAVE A BLAST!!!! :D

rwabels
10-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info Twin.
Yes...first time, tho' have been to Disney World. The little girl is major excited...got character breakfast setup, etc.
Yes, will be going to California Adventure too. Besides "Soarin" anything else that shouldn't be missed there?

Freerider127
10-15-2003, 02:49 PM
I would reccomend going on Madderhorn, Indy, and Splash Mountian for sure. Make sure you get as many fastpasses as you can for info on that read the fastpass article. Also at DCA I think California Screamin, Soarin and Grizzly River Run are a must.

LibraryGirl
10-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by rwabels
Thanks for the info Twin.
Yes...first time, tho' have been to Disney World. The little girl is major excited...got character breakfast setup, etc.
Yes, will be going to California Adventure too. Besides "Soarin" anything else that shouldn't be missed there?

in DCA, I would say Soarin', Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Animation Station, Grizzly River Rapids, California Screamin and It's Tough to Be a Bug (might be freaky for the 6 year old though).

yen
10-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TwinGemII
:
Since you're going on a Monday and Tuesday the crowds really shouldn't be that bad. If I'm not mistaken, I think the park will close around 10pm.

Thought DL close earlier on weekday. (Disneyland 8PM, DCA 6PM)

Captain Josh
10-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by rwabels
Even the most basic stuff: for instance...I'll be driving to park, so where should I park the rental car?

Everyone's ignored this one...

Well, since it's a rental, I would suggest going for the parking structure, over the outside parking lots...unless the rental place isn't too particular about how it gets back....not that either way would really make a difference.

TwinGemII
10-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Don't forget at CA Adventure the Aladdin show along with everything else.

Aladdin, I personally think, is a must see!!!!

averagecuppajoe
10-15-2003, 03:10 PM
The parks close early: DL 8/DCA 6, and you will miss "Fantasmic" and the "Electric Light Parade". Those two alone are worth visiting the parks for.
I used to have this sure-fire thrill 'till it kills tour of DL for first timers. "Space Mountain", "Splash Mountain", "Haunted Mansion", "Pirates of the Carribean", "Indiana Jones", lunch at the "Blue Bayou" (Monte Cristo sandwich).
Now the lines are getting pretty bad so some of the less-large-attraction rides that are still pretty stellar would include: "Peter Pans' Flight" and "Casey Junior's Train".
"Star Tours", and "It's a Small World" ("Pirates", also) tend to have large lines during the day that disapear at night. We always hit those later on.
One of the best times I've ever had was going in mid October. There was absolutely no one in the park. We could walk for several minutes and not see anyone else. Believe it or not, we were getting pretty bored by close. (Hard to imagine, eh?!) I think the longest line was "Splash" and that was ten minutes.
(Almost makes up for all the times I've been when you couldn't move because it was so packed.)

(Hint: If you are a beer man, take a dinner break, grab a beer, chug it! I drink rarely, but this almost always makes the last couple hours mellow and relaxing instead of tiring and anxious.)

Have a great time!

rwabels
10-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Wow, you guys sure LOVE Disneyland! What a great buncha info. Please keep it coming. I'll be an expert in no time.

I understand Splash Mountain, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are all closed. Is this true?

Also really appreciate the strategy of which ride to go to first, second, etc. Thoughts on an approach for CA Adventure?

Oldtimer
10-15-2003, 04:17 PM
I would suggest also that you see the Enchanted Tiki room. While it is true that it is a bit run down these days, it is STILL the orginal show almost the way Walt Disney and crew designed it; unlike the FLA one. I always make a stop there when I'm at the park.

Hope you have a great time and report back on your visit.

Oldtimer
:cool:

tabacco
10-15-2003, 04:20 PM
Splash is closed right now, but it might be back up when you go. What days specifically are you going to be there? Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain will definitely be closed when you visit. Space is closed til late 2005, and Big Thunder is closed indefinitely. Sleeping Beauty Castle itself is open, in that you can walk over the drawbridge and into Fantasyland. It's just that there was a cool diorama walkthrough inside the castle, and that's closed.

rwabels
10-15-2003, 04:26 PM
gonna be there Mon. Oct 27 and Tues. Oct 28. Then head up to Universal and some LA sightseeing.

Freerider127
10-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Splash reopens oct 23 so you will be able to ride it. :cool:

TwinGemII
10-16-2003, 03:27 PM
rwabels~

Since Splash Mountain will be open, don't forget to get that fast pass as soon as you get in the gates!! That ride's line gets' up to a 90 minute wait most of the time!! YUCK.

You'll walk by Indiana Jones... grab a fast pass for that, then run over to Splash Mountain and grab that fast pass!!

You'll also get to see the Haunted Mansion with the theme Nightmare Before Christmas!!

Have lots of fun and report back to us!!!

;)

Nephythys
10-16-2003, 03:50 PM
I spoke to a rep at DL today- Splash is actually slated to open Oct 24th, but you will be able to ride it.

IMO- the MUST rides at DL are-
Splash Mtn
Haunted Mansion Holiday- to miss this is a CRIME
The Indiana Jones ride
Pirates of the Carribean
Star Tours
all the Fantasyland rides (this is a consummate DL experience)
and hit ToonTown for a blast!

at DCA- you MUST do-
It's Tough to be a Bug
Screamin and Soarin
Grizzley Peak (if the weather is good)
and Aladdin at the Hyperion (it's a great show!)

and be SURE to eat at the Blue Bayou in POTC! Do not miss this experience!

:D

Cadaverous Pallor
10-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by TwinGemII
You'll walk by Indiana Jones... grab a fast pass for that, then run over to Splash Mountain and grab that fast pass!!You can't get two fastpasses in rapid succession. Pirates is the only "unconnected" fastpass that you can get along with another one. For all the others you have to wait two hours before you can get a second fastpass. It will say so on the fastpass itself.

averagecuppajoe
10-16-2003, 04:56 PM
I forgot to mention "Matterhorn. There are a few other great rides that should be included in your tour but so many of them have been shut down. It really is a crime.

I mentioned it, the "Blue Bayou" restaurant, adjacent/part of the "Pirates...". I love this restaurant and it seems to always impress. It may or may not be open, I would check asap (when you enter the park). It is pricey especially the dinner menu. When I lived in the area, we would go to DL sometimes just for a "Monte Cristo Sandwich".

As far as DCA, I've been once. It was hot and crowded, attractions were already missing, and my two year old could only get on three attractions. Kind of sucked. So I'm no expert there, (yet).

I can make some reccomendations for LA as well, if you need'em.

ftroop6
10-16-2003, 04:58 PM
While at the Tiki Room don't forget to get a Dole Whip. Very Yummy!!!!
Your 6 year old (as well as the rest of your party) will probably like Dumbo.

Freerider127
10-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
You can't get two fastpasses in rapid succession. Pirates is the only "unconnected" fastpass that you can get along with another one. For all the others you have to wait two hours before you can get a second fastpass. It will say so on the fastpass itself.

I dont know if Indy is connected with the Splash fastpass system but if its not you can get a fast pass for it at the same time. Pirates is a isolated system also you can get a fastpass for Star Tours also because Indy and Star Tours are not on the same fastpass system.

JenGood008
10-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi there rwabels!

I just thought I'd kind of summarize and add my two cents:)

Parking : Enter off Katella or Ball and follow the signs to Theme Parks. This will lead you to the massive parking structure. You then take a tram to the entrance.

Stategies:

Disneyland
Get there as early as possible because the first couple of hours the park is open are the least crowded and the most pleasant. But then, you already knew that, didn't you :)

Since it sounds like Splash Mountain will be open, my suggestion would be to grab an Indy fastpass on your way in and then make your way back to Splash. This line can get very long! After Splash, ride Haunted Mansion Holiday then go and use your fastpasses or ride Pirates first.

If you definitley want to do some of the Fastasyland rides (Peter Pan's Flight, Storybookland Canal Boats, Dumbo) then another idea might be to go here first, since these can get rather crowded later on.

You should be fine no matter what you plan to do because it really shouldn't be too crowded.

The afternoon is a great time to browse Main Street if you want to because the shops are relatively uncrowded. For lunch, I definitely agree that the Blue Bayou is not to be missed (mmmm...monte cristo). For reservations call (714) 781-DINE. If you'd like to try something a bit less pricey, I think the Carnation Cafe on Main Street is also a wonderful place to eat. Also, the French Market in New Orleans Square has Haunted Mansion Holiday themed food right now that is very fun and tasty.

Attractions:
Not to be missed:
Indy
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Splash Mountain
Matterhorn
Small World (classic disney!)
Enchanted Tiki Room (You MUST have a Dole Whip. The stand is only open from 12-5!!)

I also love:
Peter Pan
Alice in Wonderland
Casey Jr.
Main Street Vehicles
oh heck...and everything else!

Whatever you do, you will have a WONDERFUL time!!! Please let us know how it goes :)

Cadaverous Pallor
10-16-2003, 06:35 PM
This thread details the full fastpass system and how to best take advantage of it.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21059

snip:

The rule here is you are not allowed to get another FASTPASS until the starting time of the first FASTPASS, or after 2 hours of issuance of the first FASTPASS. The easiest way to check this is to look at the bottom of the first FASTPASS, it will state "Another FASTPASS will be available at XX:XX" Now certain FASTPASS machines have not been connected to the network, Pirates being the best known.

In Disneyland, the following rides are networked

Indiana Jones Adventure
Splash Mountain
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Autopia
it's a small world holiday (NOTE: The regular version does not offer FASTPASS)

At DCA, the networked attractions are

California Screamin'
Mulholland Madness
Muppet Vision 3D
Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play It!
It's Tough to be a Bug!
Soarin' Over California

Now, not every attraction is part of the network, 4 attractions (at the present, and these attractions have changed many times) don't look at the network.

Independent Machines (AKA Stand-Alone)

Pirates of the Caribbean (DL)
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin(DL)
Star Tours(DL)
Grizzly River Run (DCA)

Demigod121
10-16-2003, 07:40 PM
If you don't mind spending a little bit more, they have a nice tour you can take that tells you a bit of the history and mystery behind Disneyland.

I agree with most everyone, get FastPasses early for the major rides. Take advantage of the status board at the end of Main Street in the Circle past the shops (it will be off to your left) It tells you the wait times for the rides, and is updated frequently. (There is also one in DCA at the entrance to Paradise Pier).

If you are going to eat at the Blue Bayou, get there and get to City Hall FAST. Tell them you have never been there before, and they will usually seat you next to the 'river' that Pirates of the Carribbean uses. If they dont ask you about that, then ask them.

Bring lots of cash, or a credit card. Food is EXPENSIVE there. A good idea is to maybe eat breakfast before going, maybe snack a bit while you are there, then eat dinner at a restaurant outside the park. There is a McDonalds in DCA, but the prices are OUTRAGEOUS. There are some really great places to eat nearby, and they won't cost you an arm and a leg.....(and a foot, and another leg...lol)

-Demigod