PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain White!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

adriennek
10-15-2003, 12:14 PM
MP just got a phone call from someone at the park... They're painting Space Mountain. With White Paint.

We will have photos soon....

Adrienne

Andrew
10-15-2003, 12:19 PM
If this is an example of the new DLR President's leadership, then I am very pleased.

Hell, I'd be pleased if this was planned six months ago to start today.

Hooray!

adriennek
10-15-2003, 12:21 PM
BTW, this could be primer. But, it could be good news. We'll post the pictures and let you decide. But they're definitely using white paint so it could be very good news.

Adrienne

Andrew
10-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
BTW, this could be primer. But, it could be good news. We'll post the pictures and let you decide. But they're definitely using white paint so it could be very good news.

A good thick layer of primer would be a necessity to cover the icky brown color there now. Even if it's "only" primer, that still says that the new color will be anything but the current mess.

kawfeadikt
10-15-2003, 12:28 PM
White!

Can you say, "WAHOOOO"

Now, if only they could see the wisdom in bringing back the PeopleMover. . .

MammaSilva
10-15-2003, 12:36 PM
O M G!!!!!! Ok I refuse to get excited.... but PLEASE let it be true!

Uncle Dick
10-15-2003, 12:38 PM
First small world and now this. Could the rest of Tomorrowland be far behind? :cool:

Disneyphile
10-15-2003, 12:57 PM
I think I'm going to cry.

It's like Disneyland is being reborn, man!! :D

zapppop
10-15-2003, 01:19 PM
I went to the park today to renew my AP and got a very pleasant surprise when I saw Space Mountain getting a new coat of white paint ! YAY! AL was right again. If I had my camera earlier today, I'd post pictures.

Not Afraid
10-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Now, THIS is why I read this board! Good news! I'm going tonight for another purpose, I'll have to sneak a look.

justagrrl
10-15-2003, 01:26 PM
I don't believe it! I never thought they would paint it white again! That is absolutely amazing!

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2003, 01:26 PM
Mixed feeling here...

Glad it's not going to be icky rust colored? Yes. Glad it's going to be white? No.

I loved the old Tomorrowland, but when they made the decission to make changes when they did, I agreed with it. It was out of date, worn, and a little boring.

Of course, little did I know that they would paint it ugly colors, knacker my favorite ride in the land (Rocket Jets) and generally screw things up.

So, yes, I prefer a white Tomorrowland to what it has been. But I would prefer a new, better color scheme over any of it.

disneylandia
10-15-2003, 01:39 PM
I must be in the minority here for liking the current Tomorrowland color scheme. IMHO a white space mtn will look out of place with the rest of the Tomorrowland's current coloring.

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by disneylandia
I must be in the minority here for liking the current Tomorrowland color scheme. IMHO a white space mtn will look out of place with the rest of the Tomorrowland's current coloring. Thus the theory being that if they are painting SM white, they will eventually be changing the rest of TL's color scheme (probably by the 50th).

Gemini Cricket
10-15-2003, 01:51 PM
I like the idea of it going back to white. Hopefully it's not just primer.

(Now if they could bring back that Mary Blair mural...) :)

zapppop
10-15-2003, 01:52 PM
I must be in the minority here for liking the current Tomorrowland color scheme. IMHO a white space mtn will look out of place with the rest of the Tomorrowland's current coloring.

Tomorrowland is going to receive a makeover 2-3 years after the 50th anniversary, but maybe a quick paint job for the 50th is in the near future as GD stated.

AVP
10-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Trick or Treat? You decide:

http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Tomorrowland/WhiteSpaceMtn20k-101503-AVP.jpg

AVP

zapppop
10-15-2003, 01:53 PM
BTW: AVP, your photo is 26kb. The max allowed is 20kb.

:geek: :fez: ;)

jerhow
10-15-2003, 01:59 PM

You're not in the minority. I agree with you. A "white" future concept, although nostalgic, takes us back to that sterile 50's concept of what the future should be.

I always loved the idea of the "Montana" future as executed brilliantly in Florida's Tomorrowland. Also what makes their Tomorrowland a success is the synergy between the attractions. Ride Space Mountain and on the TV monitors is a mock-advertisement for X-S Tech. X-S Tech, as we know, is the corporation responsible for teleportation technology from Alien Encounter.

Not sure how that notion works these days with Encounter out of commission. But at Dland, there is no rhyme or reason to anything - a Space Mountain, Honey I shrunk the Audience, Star Tours, and soon to be Buzz? Is there any logic to any of that?

Back to the topic, I'd love to see the color scheme change to Florida's chrome-silver look as opposed to our puke bronze or hospital-white.

AVP
10-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
BTW: AVP, your photo is 26kb. The max allowed is 20kb. BTW, Zap - I'm a mod, and an admin, and I can break the rules to post a larger image while I create a smaller Pad-approved one.

:p

AVP

Gemini Cricket
10-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Trick or Treat? You decide:

http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Tomorrowland/WhiteSpaceMtn20k-101503-AVP.jpg

AVP
Maybe they're trying to appease everyone and are going to leave it both colors. :D

TheMur
10-15-2003, 02:05 PM
The color scheme they put in DL was lifted directly from the colors and Disneyland Paris. At the Paris park the colors work because it is an entirely unifying theme. It is actually called Discoveryland and the entire area is well themed to the Jules Verne "future." I loved it and thought it looked outstanding.

It doesn't fit in DL though and I would welcome the return to white or some other color scheme.

AVP
10-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by TheMur
At the Paris park the colors work because it is an entirely unifying theme. I completely agree - I walked into Discoveryland and said "OH! THIS is what they were trying to do!" My husband got it. My in-laws looked at me like I was nuts.

AVP

HBTiggerFan
10-15-2003, 02:08 PM
[inside joke]So who got the 1.5 million bottles of white out donated and then left them on the ramp?[/inside joke]

WAHOOOOOOO WHITE SPACE MOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Gemini Cricket
10-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by AVP
I completely agree - I walked into Discoveryland and said "OH! THIS is what they were trying to do!"
I thought the same thing when I was at DLP. It works there, here not so much.