PDA

View Full Version : ToonTown being replaced by Star Wars Land?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

sjhanksaz
10-08-2014, 06:25 PM
I wonder if this guy really has inside info?

http://www.chipandco.com/toontown-replaced-star-wars-land-disneyland-resort-200111/

As for me, I say make it happen.

Malcon10t
10-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Could happen. But I see a couple reasons why this might not come to be. Toon Town CMs are getting new outfits in the next few months. If they are going to tear it out, why change the outfits?

Fireworks. Why would they build what should be an intensely popular Land in a place where the rides shut down early at night, and would take significant time to reopen after fireworks.

There are other flaws in this article, if you stop and think about them.

Goodnplenty
10-09-2014, 04:29 AM
I think its fun to speculate on things, so I'll join in. :) I think there's enough real estate to be had in Tomorrowland for StarWars attractions. You could take over Innoventions, the theater under Space Mtn, Autopia and even Buzz. I was thinking they could build something new on a bigger footprint of Innoventions + half of Autopia. I would think that incorporating a Star Wars "zone" into Tomorrowland would be a way to kind of keep the old and new.
I'm not inclined to see DL putting StarWars in Toontown and having another big attraction SW ride so far away in TLand.

GnP

candles71
10-09-2014, 07:22 AM
I saw Chip and Co's blurb yesterday, but didn't read it.
My first thoughts were that DL's Toontown is always crowded, so I don't think it is in danger of going away. Also, there is not enough room back there to do a SW land justice. There is no where to grow it even. Everything Mal said, I had not thought of, but totally makes sense.

Shortpix77
10-09-2014, 08:32 AM
I like the idea of more Star Wars, but I'm with those above who think replacing ToonTown with Star Wars is a flawed plan/rumor. I like the idea of putting more Star Wars in Tomorrowland, using the Innoventions/Captain EO theater/arcade/Autopia spaces.

ToonTown is the only area that really small kids have a play area to run around in, so I can't see parents being too happy that the toddlers would have no energy outlet. I'm also in agreement that ToonTown is a popular area with decent lines most of the time, so why would they obliterate something that's still bringing in the crowds?

oregontraveler
10-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I like the idea of more Star Wars, but I'm with those above who think replacing ToonTown with Star Wars is a flawed plan/rumor. I like the idea of putting more Star Wars in Tomorrowland, using the Innoventions/Captain EO theater/arcade/Autopia spaces.

ToonTown is the only area that really small kids have a play area to run around in, so I can't see parents being too happy that the toddlers would have no energy outlet. I'm also in agreement that ToonTown is a popular area with decent lines most of the time, so why would they obliterate something that's still bringing in the crowds?

Ditto for me

adriennek
10-09-2014, 09:23 AM
I heard they're adding a loop.

olegc
10-09-2014, 09:37 AM
i think there was already a thread on here - maybe 4 to 6 months ago - speculating where Star Wars land would go. it happened I think when Iger hinted that Star Wars would come to the parks.

here's my take - if they put Star Wars anywhere behind the berm - meaning toontown or behind Big Thunder Ranch - then that means the Park is willing to either get rid of fireworks - or close Star Wars land while fireworks are on. I don't think that TDA is ready to do either one - especially since Fireworks are so loved. So unless they get some way to protect guests from overheard shrapnel (even the most remote chance, as the current legal-focused actions have shown at other Disneyland locations) I doubt any Star Wars land will have significant acreage beyond the berm.

Now - if you told me long term that the southeast corner of backstage (where CMs enter and some offices exit, as well as costuming) would be moved to backstage behind toontown so they'd have more acreage behind Innoventions to do something - I'm listening.

Disneyphile
10-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Don't forget that they recently purchased land to relocate the K lot. Star Wars very well could end up as its own gate.

olegc
10-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Don't forget that they recently purchased land to relocate the K lot. Star Wars very well could end up as its own gate.

yes - but I would think if they plan that they would not keep the Toy Story lot either, so they have to have some sort of replacement parking for that to work. Whether they build a second structure or not - all those pieces need to be moved. I don't think the K-Lot itself could handle a land WITH all of the backstage required space (for storage of service items, food, equipment, vehicles, etc.)

lweigel
10-09-2014, 11:35 AM
I kind of hope none of this is true. There is already star wars in the park, I would hope that Disney would venture out if they were to add a land or new rides. I would hate to see tomorrowland monopolized by one movie (movies, you get what I'm saying). I love variety.

sjhanksaz
10-09-2014, 03:59 PM
It just seems to me that every time I go into ToonTown, which is not every trip I may add, the place just seems worn out and run down.

When it was new and fresh and everything worked it was pretty cool.

Now it is just a hotter than the rest of the park concrete and steel dead end. I bet it could be so much more.

oregontraveler
10-09-2014, 04:13 PM
It just seems to me that every time I go into ToonTown, which is not every trip I may add, the place just seems worn out and run down.

When it was new and fresh and everything worked it was pretty cool.

Now it is just a hotter than the rest of the park concrete and steel dead end. I bet it could be so much more.

While there has been some degree of maintenace at ToonTown: new facade paint and Roger Rabbitt refurbs. The coolness factor is dead for most folks: Chip N' Dale's Ball pit was the first casualty, then the Trolley stopped making rounds. And now Donald's Boat & Goofy's Bounce House are no longer staffed by CM's.

I still agree its a good place for the little ones to have some fun time of their own. Because of the existing footprint (right now) and the nighttime closure for Fireworks. A proposed Star Wars land replacement seems far-fetched.

sjhanksaz
10-09-2014, 04:16 PM
While there has been some degree of maintenace at ToonTown: new facade paint and Roger Rabbitt refurbs. The coolness factor is dead for most folks: Chip N' Dale's Ball pit was the first casualty, then the Trolley stopped making rounds. And now Donald's Boat & Goofy's Bounce House are no longer staffed by CM's.

I still agree its a good place for the little ones to have some fun time of their own. Because of the existing footprint (right now) and the nighttime closure for Fireworks. A proposed Star Wars land replacement seems far-fetched.

Someone once said if you can dream it you can do it

bumblebeeonarose
10-11-2014, 06:44 PM
If you search Star Wars in Toontown, you'll find several articles suggesting the idea from August. I found one August 9, another August 11, and then there was an August 20 reference for Mice Chat. I think it was a popular rumor a few months ago. I don't know how I feel about this. I'd much rather they put a little bit of money into sprucing up the Toontown they have maybe even adding an attraction if they could find room, than spending a TON of money tearing the place down and building up a new land. I don't mind the idea of Star Wars in the park. I think it'd be kind of neat, but Toontown makes sense at Disneyland. I know it isn't that old of a land, but it is where Mickey and his friends live. How many kids go to Disneyland wanting to visit Mickey at his house? Probably millions.

Toocherie
10-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Just a thought---could they potentially enclose the whole land for an immersive experience, thereby eliminating the fireworks issue? I'm thinking of some of those indoor malls in Vegas where it feels like you are outside but they are able to make it appear to be noon, twilight, nighttime, etc.

JLM
10-13-2014, 10:56 AM
The trouble with repurposing Toontown is that you have the highly popular Mickey meet and greet. On top of that you have the closure issues at night. The trouble with Tomorrowland is that every 10 years it becomes obsolete. For the most part, the tomorrow aspect of Tomorrowland is long gone and it serves more as a kinda sci-fi'ish fantasyland extension. Plus, I don't think it would be that difficult to repurpose the existing Tomorrowland attractions for Star Wars. Here are my ideas.

Astro Orbitor: Replace the rockets with alternating X-wings and tie fighters that circle around a death star. Score points by hitting the vehicle in front of you with a score board showing the rebel vs. empire score.

Autopia: Convert the cars to land speeders traveling across the Endor moon. Add a few animatronic of Ewok or ROTJ scenes here or there.

Buzz Lightyear: Keep the technology, but update to match the look of the Clone Wars series. Wouldn't a giant General Grevious be really cool to shoot at in that last room.

Magic Eye Theatre: 3D movies have kinda lost their novelty. Still, a comedic vaudeville style Star Wars themed variety show could be fun. Better yet would be replace the theater with an interactive show along the lines of Turtle Talk, except with Star Wars characters.

Monorail & Railroad: No need to touch these. Just add some Star Wars props to the loading stations.

Submarine Voyage: I cringe as I write this, but the best option here would be to update it as a tour of the Naboo ocean, with <shudder> Jar Jar Binks as your guide. You could also drain the water and run new vehicles along the tracks to make a dark ride themed to one of the new movies coming out. This option would give Nemo a few extra years of life.

Innoventions: Two words: Death Star. Activities would include: Blaster shooting range, trash compactor themed ball play area (complete with interactive monster), tractor beam switch obstacle course, chasm rope swing, and a Star Wars meet and greet area.

Space Mountain: Probably the easiest one to update. Replace the Ghost Galaxy projections with attacking tie-fighters up top and make the bottom section look like the Death Star trench, and you have a fun recreation of the Battle of Yavin.

Star Tours: No need for change. Just periodically add new segments and you're done.

But this is just my dream. Any other ideas out there?

Disneyphile
10-13-2014, 12:55 PM
But this is just my dream. Any other ideas out there?I think you pretty much nailed it. ;)

Janis and Aaron
10-13-2014, 08:34 PM
JLM, we've discussed repurposing Tomorrowland into SWLand several times in my family, and what we've come up with after a lot of talk is pretty much exactly what you said (and "JLM" happen to be my initials - are we SURE we're not the same person?) The only difference is that I'd want the Magic Eye Theater to become a Mos Eisley cantina, with an animatronic band and CMs in alien-ish costumes serving non-alcoholic drinks (lots of glow cubes!) and appetizers.

Another reason Space Mountain would convert easily is that the large spaceship in the boarding room could be easily changed to a Rebel Blockade Runner. :)

As far as Toon Town being changed over to SWLand, I think the idea is a non-starter. Too thematically different from the surrounding stuff (walk past IASW to visit space!), too small & crowded, and too dumb to keep Star Tours in Tomorrowland but then have other SW stuff so far away. Toon Town undoubtedly needs attention, but changing it to SWLand is not the answer.

MadasaHatter
10-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Anonymouse said pretty clearly that everything he has heard is a RUMOR not fact. I saw the original 3 Star Wars films when they came out. I have seen the FIRST ONE a couple of times since then. Great fun. But that reboot movie may have been the worst motion picture I have ever seen. I heard the other two were better but they had already lost me with that travesty. I think the franchise is fine but I am ok with just STAR TOURS and THE JEDI SHOW....we don't need anymore as far as I am concerned. I am sure the new DISNEY motion pictures will bring about some attractions....but that will be a bit aways right????? Or am I mad?

Disneyphile
10-14-2014, 08:34 AM
The only difference is that I'd want the Magic Eye Theater to become a Mos Eisley cantina, with an animatronic band and CMs in alien-ish costumes serving non-alcoholic drinks (lots of glow cubes!) and appetizers. OOoooh! SOLD! :)

As far as Toon Town being changed over to SWLand, I think the idea is a non-starter. Too thematically different from the surrounding stuff (walk past IASW to visit space!), too small & crowded, and too dumb to keep Star Tours in Tomorrowland but then have other SW stuff so far away. Toon Town undoubtedly needs attention, but changing it to SWLand is not the answer.Bingo. The transition to walk back there just doesn't work, it's way too small of a space, plus it's really handy to have a central place where people know they can meet the main characters at any time.

olegc
10-14-2014, 08:39 AM
its an interesting dilemma - I would say not everyone in the world who has been, or will be, a guest to Disneyland wants an entire SW land instead of Tomorrowland. There are some folks who like Nemo, who like Buzz (like me), etc. There is a balance to attractions that stand alone and have existed for a while and others that are "new". It was slightly different with Carsland because it was not replacing anything - it was an entirely brand new area self contained. Don't get me wrong - I think the whole SW universe offers so many ideas for attractions, land specific themes, immersive areas, and retail and dining - but people with ideas can always screw things up. Those of us who visit very often tend to get jaded and want new (whereas others love the museum quality of Disneyland - look it up). I'm in the middle. I like new things and additions, but I like tradition and classic as well.

cstephens
10-14-2014, 10:02 AM
its an interesting dilemma - I would say not everyone in the world who has been, or will be, a guest to Disneyland wants an entire SW land instead of Tomorrowland.

Anyone who knows me knows how much of a Star Wars fan I am. And I don't want Star Wars land instead of Tomorrowland. If they build it somewhere else (and no, not Toontown either), that would be fine. But not to replace Tomorrowland.

goalieump413
10-14-2014, 03:56 PM
I vote "no" to StarWarsLand. Sorry, it's a cool speculative idea on the surface, but to completely repurpose a Land is faulty logic. The reason the Lands work at DL is that they don't overwhelm guests with a monolithic theme, but integrate several attractions into Lands that blend together. An entire Land rebuilt into a SW theme is just too little variety and too much pressure placed on the area. Remember what happened at the opening of Cars Land? Now imagine that multiplied by 10!

And what if JJ's movies suck? I doubt they will, but a ton of dough would be spent jackhammering legacy attractions in favor of capitalizing on movie and merchandise momentum.

I'd be in favor of rebuilding TL altogether and replacing Innoventions with JLM's Death Star concept. In fact, that'd be a cool concept drawing for my college art class. Permission JLM?

I think if Disney wanted to build a Star Wars Land, they should do it off-site as a separate gate. I know it's not a popular idea because it doesn't concentrate the logistics with DL, DD, and DCA, but I've long been a supporter of a villain's theme park with greater interaction, and maybe this would be a financial cash cow if Disney chose to open a new "mini-park" themed after Saint George's universe.

candles71
10-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Anyone who knows me knows how much of a Star Wars fan I am. And I don't want Star Wars land instead of Tomorrowland. If they build it somewhere else (and no, not Toontown either), that would be fine. But not to replace Tomorrowland. I totally agree. It needs to be in a whole new space.