PDA

View Full Version : When is a Showman Not a Showman?

Mr. Wiggins
10-14-2003, 02:46 PM
When he...

"...joined The Walt Disney Company in 1989 and over the last 14 years has held leadership positions in real estate development, finance and business development. He has held a series of executive positions that include senior vice president and chief financial officer at the Disney Development Company (now part of Walt Disney Imagineering) and senior vice president of Finance and Business Development at the Walt Disney World Resort as well as executive general manager of Disney Vacation Club and Disney’s Wide World of Sports."

Andrew
10-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Wiggins
When he...

"...joined The Walt Disney Company in 1989 and over the last 14 years has held leadership positions in real estate development, finance and business development. He has held a series of executive positions that include senior vice president and chief financial officer at the Disney Development Company (now part of Walt Disney Imagineering) and senior vice president of Finance and Business Development at the Walt Disney World Resort as well as executive general manager of Disney Vacation Club and Disney’s Wide World of Sports."

While history does tend to repeat itself, how about giving Mr Ouimet a chance to get acquainted with his new position before lambasting him?

Mr. Wiggins
10-14-2003, 03:19 PM
You put a VP in
You pull a VP out
You keep it topsy-turvy
And you shake it all about
It's Mikey's Hokey-Pokey
And without a single doubt
That's what it's all about!

merlinjones
10-14-2003, 07:33 PM
Mr. Wiggins, I pulled that exact quote to post - - now I don't have to!

"Feed the birds and what have you got? Fat birds" - - The elder Mr. Dawes

newhdplayer
10-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
While history does tend to repeat itself, how about giving Mr Ouimet a chance to get acquainted with his new position before lambasting him?

Not around here, Bub. We call 'em as we see 'em.

Andrew
10-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Not around here, Bub. We call 'em as we see 'em.

Aren't you being a little presumptuous?

The record clearly shows that I have no problem noting problems when they exist. I'm simply asking for the new executive to be given a chance to prove himself.

Then again, I suppose you've already made up your mind about DCA's Tower of Terror, too.

sleepyjeff
10-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Wiggins
When he...

I see the word development 4 times............the word marketing 0.

I like him already:)

merlinjones
10-14-2003, 08:03 PM
No offence, Andrew, as I hope Matt can prove different and successful for the sake of Disneyland. Optimism is a good thing.

But one must admit that the Eisner approved run of finance/business/marketing centered presidents and vice presidents as figureheads in the many divisions of the Walt Disney Company for the past 15 years has been a repeated failure... not only that, a disaster to the brand. Anyone would be daft not to see the pattern and the sameness in this crowd. Hence, any doubts are certainly well considered. Matt will have to prove himself different. Maybe he is!

Similarly, Tower of Terror follows ten years of disappointing, uncompelling, relatively cheaply executed attractions at Disneyland/DCA. It will have to prove itself.

These days, the Walt legacy is not to be relied on as a guarantee of brand satisfaction.

newhdplayer
10-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Aren't you being a little presumptuous?

The record clearly shows that I have no problem noting problems when they exist. I'm simply asking for the new executive to be given a chance to prove himself.

Then again, I suppose you've already made up your mind about DCA's Tower of Terror, too.

Nope, not presumptous at all. I forgot to insert the little "sarcastic roll-eyes" smilie which looks like this:rolleyes:

And, I am, on the record, looking forward to the opening of oour own ToT. And also, I do like DCA (it's my own personal park, since no one else will go there).

Doodle Duck
10-14-2003, 09:26 PM
"how about giving Mr Ouimet a chance to get acquainted with his new position before lambasting him?"

I gave at the park.

And Why? What difference does/will it make what we say on the boards? I'd say it's time for one of these mba fellas to GIVE us something other than biz as usual...
and Andrew...that's not bashing the man...just calling attention to his background and upbringing in the org. which DOES count for something in the mix and offers portent no?

The track record of these 'no show' types is usually 'no show'...let's have some happy surprises though.

I'm for that! Meanwhile skeptical and wary till shown otherwise.