PDA

View Full Version : Cynthia Harriss resigns, Matt Ouimet promoted to President of the Disneyland Resort

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
10-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Received from Disneyland Public Affairs:

Matt Ouimet Promoted to President of the Disneyland® Resort
Former Disney Cruise Line President Brings 14-Years of Disney Experience

ANAHEIM, Calif. October 14, 2003 – Matt Ouimet, a 14-year Disney veteran and president of the Disney Cruise Line, has been promoted to president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, it was announced today by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts president, Jay Rasulo. Ouimet will report to Rasulo and replaces outgoing president Cynthia Harriss who resigned for personal reasons.

“Matt’s deep understanding of the brand, focus on the quality of the guest experience and demonstrated ability to manage complex operations will be a tremendous asset in driving the continued growth of the Disneyland Resort. In addition to his exceptional leadership skills, Matt has a proven track record of success having built the Disney Cruise Line into one of our strongest businesses,” said Rasulo.

“Disneyland has been a symbol of magic and imagination since Walt Disney first opened the gates nearly 50 years ago. It is an honor to be working with the team to showcase this legacy as we approach the Golden 50th Anniversary in 2005,” said Ouimet. “I look forward to taking an active role in the community that has embraced our company for so long.”

“We all thank Cynthia for her 11 years of dedicated service to the Walt Disney Company,” said Rasulo. “I respect her decision knowing that she will be successful in any future endeavor. I know the cast of the Disneyland Resort joins me in wishing her well.”

“This was a very difficult personal decision,” Harriss said, “but it is the right time to step down in order to ensure a timely transition as the Disneyland Resort approaches its most important milestone. I am grateful to the leadership team and cast who helped create so many special memories over the past six years and I am proud of everything we accomplished in our expansion of the Disneyland park to a resort destination,” Harriss continued.

Ouimet joined The Walt Disney Company in 1989 and over the last 14 years has held leadership positions in real estate development, finance and business development. He has held a series of executive positions that include senior vice president and chief financial officer at the Disney Development Company (now part of Walt Disney Imagineering) and senior vice president of Finance and Business Development at the Walt Disney World Resort as well as executive general manager of Disney Vacation Club and Disney’s Wide World of Sports.

Since becoming president of Disney Cruise Line in 1999, Ouimet oversaw the establishment of this exciting business as a successful element of the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts portfolio. Under his leadership, the Disney Cruise Line grew into one of the country’s premier cruise operators. His focus on the guest experience has resulted in the highest guest satisfaction ratings of all of the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts vacation experiences.

Active in Florida’s business community, Ouimet serves as the chairman of the Florida Chamber of Commerce and on the Board of Directors for the International Council of Cruise Lines and the Floridian Caribbean Cruise Association.

A native of upstate New York, Ouimet is a graduate of Binghamton University. He and his family will begin the transition to California immediately.

The Disneyland® Resort features two theme parks, an entertainment district and three hotels. All within walking distance are: Walt Disney’s original theme park, Disneyland, Disney’s California Adventure™ Park, Downtown Disney® District, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel®, Disney’s Paradise Piersm Hotel, and the Disneyland Hotel.

Bill Catherall
10-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Just to kick off the discussion... how do you pronounce "Ouimet"?

DisneyFan25863
10-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking like "Omlette", but I dunno :fez:

Not Afraid
10-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Maybe it's French and pronounced "we-may".

Who knows.

I know nothing about this guy. I hope that his financial leanings don't prevent him from honoring creativity. Roy had Walt. Matt has someone, I hope.

Andrew
10-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Just to kick off the discussion... how do you pronounce "Ouimet"?

The AT&T Natural Voice demo (http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/index.html#us_interactive) suggests "wee-meh (http://www.project-insomnia.com/sounds/Ouimet.wav)".

Disneyphile
10-14-2003, 02:40 PM
There's hope yet!!!

I'm going to send her a nice fruit basket, because I'm going to miss her!! Just as much as I miss Pressler.

We really need an overjoyed waving smiley. :D

karl
10-14-2003, 03:10 PM
As in "Ouimet get a better park?"

-- Karl

RStar
10-14-2003, 03:14 PM
While we have seen it comming, it is an interesting development. I can't wait to see what Al has to say about it. Should be interesting reading, no?

So,

NEXT!

HEY, MIKE!

:D

karl
10-14-2003, 03:19 PM
I lost track.. was that about six months since Rasulo took over, give or take?

About the typical timing for the new boss to change the lineup.

Harriss takes the hand grenade and a new clean slate for Rasulo begins.

Expect Ouimet to redo the park management, either now (if its been in the planning) or within 6 months.

Disneyphile
10-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by RStar
HEY, MIKE!:D
Ooooh, I'm wishing on that same star........ ;) :D

innerSpaceman
10-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by RStar
While we have seen it comming, it is an interesting development. I can't wait to see what Al has to say about it.
Yeah, another one where detractors of Al's insider knowledge or prognostication abilities can choke on their words.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if either Rasulo has, or Ouimet will have, any power to effect noticeable change at Disneyland. Ouimet's resume does not inspire any confidence that he has an ounce of creativity in his body at any rate. But, hey, I'm willing to pick a name out of the phone book to replace Cynthia.

TP2000
10-14-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm glad she's gone. She seemed much too fake and phoney for me, and it was clearly obvious that there wasn't much passion behind all of those profesionally written speeches and contrived hugs and smiles.

Now let's hope that the new guy can bring in some new Vice President's who can get Disneyland back to being what it used to be, instead of just being something that is "good enough" to justify the often discounted ticket price.

So long Cynthia!

MonorailMan
10-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Now, the question; will she fall into the GAP?

adriennek
10-14-2003, 04:00 PM
I have to say, Cynthia did a lot of things right. She was visible. She was in the parks. Anyone remember how Paul was never in the parks?

And she was good with people. I met her only a few times but she knew who I was when I introduced myself. When I had an occasion to talk to her about something very specific, she had a response that told me she wasn't giving me a line, she knew what I was talking about and listened to what I said. That is a valuable skill.

Adrienne

Niwel
10-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Well ... we'll see where this takes us.

Hopefully with Oulett's background in vacations and finance -- as opposed to merchandising -- guest service will be in the foreground again. And we might get that Atlantis/Submarine attraction; those extra coats of paint; a reopening of Sleeping Beauty Castle; an earlier return of Space Mountain; a reinstatement of Magic Mornings; and maybe if he works his DCL connections, we can get our own ship out of Long Beach :)

Then again, we still have Michael, the grinch who stole Disneyland:(

TheMur
10-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Well people have been asking in the forums where Jay is. Now we know......getting Cynthia understand that she has personal things to tend to.

Based upon the timing of this announcement, I would think that there are some announcements to come regarding celebration of the park's 50th. I'm sure Jay wouldn't want to do them with a lame-duck president.

I hope this opens the spigot of positive changes for DL. It is a little worrisome that Matt's background is the finance side but I do have to say that everyone I have talked to (though not many) has really loved the Disney Cruise experience. Let's hope the same will soon be said for the DLR.

Grandbreaker
10-14-2003, 04:14 PM
ding dong the witch is dead the wicked witch oh I mean gone.

Run4Beanies
10-14-2003, 05:01 PM
omg, I was thinking the same thing in my head, lol!

"Ding dong", but I really didn't know the woman, so I don't know if she's a witch. But I think it will be good for the fellow cast members.

cryan71
10-14-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm crying as I type this.

TheMur
10-14-2003, 06:14 PM
tears of joy or sorrow

Pirate Girl
10-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about the new guy?

Just out of curiosity, how long did Cynthia Harris work as President?

merlinjones
10-14-2003, 07:25 PM
>>Ouimet joined The Walt Disney Company in 1989 and over the last 14 years has held leadership positions in real estate development, finance and business development. <<

Open letter to Matt:

You have had the advantage of watching the others fail at Disneyland as you succeeded with the Cruise line.

In order to succeed in Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom you must do it different than the rest. Forget what Paul taught you about this park - - it's different from WDW too. Disneyland's living history is as important as its future.

Start fresh with an eye on past glories. What worked? What didn't? Be honest. Take risks. Be imaginative. Respect Walt. Respect the guest. Give more than people expect. Spend money to make money.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

You'll need fresh creative executives at DLR - - who know and love traditional Disney to boot. That's what the 50th is all about.

Call me. We'll lunch. :fez:

MickeyLumbo
10-14-2003, 07:47 PM
...just believe;)

merlinjones
10-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Look into those eyes and see if he's the One.

http://www.f-cca.com/pages/profiles/ouimet.html

Doodle Duck
10-14-2003, 08:13 PM
The Art of....
FinanceFinanceFinanceFinanceFinanceFinancFFinanceF inanceinanceeFinanceFinanceFinanceFinanceFinFinFin anceanceanceFinaFinancenceFinance= BudgetBudgetBudget

Budget

BudgetBudget
Budget
Budget Budget

oh crap.