PDA

View Full Version : "Great Moments with Mr. Disney?"

ZipadeedooDave
10-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Nothing desparaging about Abraham Lincoln. He was a fine man and President of our United States of America.

However, I have always wondered about removing Mr. Lincoln and placing the Disneyland creator, an animatronic of Walt Disney.

Instead, we could have Walt Disney talk about his dreams, the reality of his dreams and how the movies and TV gave birth to the Park.

Again, we'll always know about Abraham Lincoln. Children will learn about him in school and so forth. But in our Disney empire, where the founder is slowing being forgotten, wouldn't this be an idea to ponder and possibly 'do'? Even if they didn't get rid of Mr. Lincoln, what about turning Innoventions into something like this? It did house "Carousel of Progress" and "America Sings", so why not refurbish that and let us go through periods with Walt?

Is this an outlandish idea?

Please let me know what you think! :)

tracilicious
10-14-2003, 02:18 PM
i think we are more likely to see great moments with mr. eisner.

seriously, though, i think it is a great idea, but i would be loathe to see such an important piece of disney history fall by the wayside.

ZipadeedooDave
10-14-2003, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with you on that note. We needn't get rid of Mr. Lincoln.....he's an icon there......I've seen him several times myself.

Maybe they could get rid of Innoventions (it's kind of run it's course, don't you think?) and replace it with
"Yesterday In Tomorrowland, with Walt Disney".

What do you think about that??? There is no history with Innoventions.....and we'd be quenching the ghost town that is Tomorrowland with the Richness of Walt.

tracilicious
10-14-2003, 02:25 PM
i think that anything that replaces innoventions has got to be an improvement. it is my understanding that they are already replacing the lower level of innoventions with a history of disney exhibit for the 50th.

Captain Josh
10-14-2003, 04:31 PM
How about Great Moments with Mr. Disney AND Mr. Lincoln.

It sounds crazy, but I just had a vision of a Walt Animatronic talking to a Lincoln Animatronic....

Doodle Duck
10-14-2003, 09:40 PM
My thinking as well G-Hawk...

Walt could give a chat and then introduce one of his achievements...a Robot President...oh...wait...we've had a bunch of those lately...hmmmm

back to the drawing board...er...notebook.

Tref
10-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
How about Great Moments with Mr. Disney AND Mr. Lincoln.

It sounds crazy, but I just had a vision of a Walt Animatronic talking to a Lincoln Animatronic....

I think this is how it would go:

CURTAIN RISES

Walt -- Hello, Mr. Lincoln.

Abe -- Hello, Mr. Disney.

Walt -- How are you doing to-day?

Abe -- Fine, thank you and you?

Walt -- Well, I have been dead for some time now, but otherwise I am doing fine.

Abe -- Tell me about being dead! (BOTH LAUGH) Moreover, I missed the end of the play! Pray, you wouldn't happen to know how it ends, do you?

Walt -- (DISTRACTED) I'm sorry, what's that, Abe? I wasn't listening.

Abe -- The play, Our American Cousin -- how does it end?

Walt -- Hmm ... did I do an adaptation of it? Cartoon, maybe?

Abe -- (FLATLY) I have no idea what you are talking about.

Walt -- You know, an animated feature film. Picture show. Cinema. Talkies ...

Abe -- You do remember that I have been dead these past 138 years.

Walt -- Ahh, forget about it. (TURNS AWAY FROM LINCOLN. LONG PAUSE. WALT LOOKS AT WATCH.)

Abe -- Cough

Walt -- Cough

Abe -- What a week I am having. What -- a -- week!

(WALT CONTINUES TO IGNORE LINCOLN)

So, what else is going on?

Walt -- Shut up!

CURTAIN FALLS

TheatreTech
10-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Tref
I think this is how it would go:
CURTAIN RISES
Walt -- Hello, Mr. Lincoln.
Abe -- Hello, Mr. Disney.
Walt -- How are you doing to-day?
Abe -- Fine, thank you and you?
Walt -- Well, I have been dead for some time now, but otherwise I am doing fine.
Abe -- Tell me about being dead! (BOTH LAUGH) Moreover, I missed the end of the play! Pray, you wouldn't happen to know how it ends, do you?
Walt -- (DISTRACTED) I'm sorry, what's that, Abe? I wasn't listening.
Abe -- The play, Our American Cousin -- how does it end?
Walt -- Hmm ... did I do an adaptation of it? Cartoon, maybe?
Abe -- (FLATLY) I have no idea what you are talking about.
Walt -- You know, an animated feature film. Picture show. Cinema. Talkies ...
Abe -- You do remember that I have been dead these past 138 years.
Walt -- Ahh, forget about it. (TURNS AWAY FROM LINCOLN. LONG PAUSE. WALT LOOKS AT WATCH.)
Abe -- Cough
Walt -- Cough
Abe -- What a week I am having. What -- a -- week!
(WALT CONTINUES TO IGNORE LINCOLN)
So, what else is going on?
Walt -- Shut up!
CURTAIN FALLS

My kidneys....I mean.....my stomach.....that was soooo funny it was worth quoting for no apparent reason;)

Lashbear
10-14-2003, 11:49 PM
HI Dave !

This Thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16387) has a lot of neat ideas on the subject

The one I REALLY like is this one:

originally posted by Kuzcotopia:
The Walt I want to see, is the Walt from the old Wonderful World of Disney. The Walt who could do Magic himself. He would talk with tinkerbell. He could out-conjure the Magic Mirror. He had access to all the Disney magic.

Walt could be at his desk, talking about Animation. As he speaks, he could cross from his desk to the bookshelf. With a snap of his fingers, books would fly across the room, pages flipping, animation flipbooking as it goes. Another snap, and the classic images come to life before our eyes, filling the scene with color and life.

He could speak about animatronics, and Jose the Parrot could come to life, from sitting on a perch on Walt's desk. Walt could speak about animatronics, and could hint that the next step would be using the same technique on humans. Careful viewers would see Walt wink.

I'd come back to the USA in a flash just to see that ! :D

Cheers,
Rob.

ZipadeedooDave
10-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Tref~
You are a comedian! That was hysterical. The visual that comes to mind is just too funny. Thank you for the laughs.

Lashbear~
I remember those "Wonderful World..." moments. I agree.

While the comedy is aside, I think this could be a really great thing.

We can leave Mr. Lincoln in the Opera House, where he's been for many many years.....

What about the innovative idea of doing away with Innoventions and putting in something like "Yesterday in Tomorrowland with Walt Disney".

Is it anything to give some deeper thought too?

disneyboy7
10-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Yes, I agree, Moments with Walt in any format would be great. They put the "Future Transportation" cartoon that used to play in the queue line for Rocket Rods in the queue line for Walt.

LSPoorEeyorick
10-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks to you I just sent lemonade shooting out my nose and the rest of the office knows I'm being unproductive while online.

Heh. Funniest thing I've read today.

Lashbear
10-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ZipadeedooDave
What about putting in something like "Yesterday in Tomorrowland with Walt Disney".
Hehehehe ! It seems Tref is not the only comedian ! I nearly snorked tea over that one :D

LSPoorEeyorick: you win my vote for "Punniest nickname of the month" :fez:

I would like to also see the Walt presentation dispel some of the myths, eg the old rumour about Walt having his head frozen. (and NO, there's NOT a secret freezer at the top of the matterhorn along with the half-size basketball court :rolleyes: )

Freerider127
10-15-2003, 05:22 PM
How did they every come up with Abe Lincoln in disneyland?:rolleyes:

dsnylndmom
10-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Tref~you are hysterical!

I loved the Walt Disney attraction at MGM Studios, why oh why can't I remember the name of it(old age I guess)it was so cool seeing all the memoribila(sp)and the models of rides and such. The film they played at the end was wonderful(yes that was me in the corner sniffling and having tears run down my cheeks what a dork I know)

ZipadeedooDave
10-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Freerider127

Free- I think it was actually something Walt incorporated into the park, if I am not mistaken.

cemeinke
10-16-2003, 09:28 AM

1964 World's Fair Exhibit for the State of Illinois

cemeinke
10-16-2003, 09:33 AM

1964 World's Fair Exhibit for the State of Illinois

ZipadeedooDave
10-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Cemeinke~
That is right. In fact, if I am not mistaken, "It's A Small World" was displayed there as well, or something in regard to the "It's A Small World" attraction....and it was opened in 1965 at Disneyland.

cemeinke
10-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Lincoln, Small World, Primeval World, and Carrousel of Progress all premiered at the 1964 World's Fair in New York

Freerider127
10-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the anwsers I never knew that.

Demigod121
10-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Hmm.....dunno.....

How about re-locating the animatronic Walt and Abe and putting them in the graveyard at the Haunted Mansion?

They could make jokes about people 'dying' to get in there!

...sorry...couldn't resist!

-Demigod <--Note: This does NOT say COMEDIAN!:D

sleepyjeff
10-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Lincoln, Small World, Primeval World, and Carrousel of Progress all premiered at the 1964 World's Fair in New York

Did people ride the train thru Primeval world at the 64' fair, or was it some sort of peoplemover/skyway type convayence?

cemeinke
10-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
Did people ride the train thru Primeval world at the 64' fair, or was it some sort of peoplemover/skyway type convayence?

It was part of the "Ford Magic Skyway" - Don't know any details beyond that, but maybe someone who went to the 1964 World's Fair **cough**InnerSpaceman**cough** might have some first hand knowledge.