PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort Closed Today - Sept. 11

cstephens
09-11-2001, 07:54 AM
Someone posted a note on a.d.d., and I just talked to DL Guest Relations, who confirmed that the entire resort is closed today, on recommendation of law enforcement. That includes both parks and Downtown Disney. Not sure what they're doing about people who are staying at the hotels.

/cs

pullmyfinger.com
09-11-2001, 08:00 AM
...is this the first time Disneyland was forced to shut down before opening? I know that WDW has closed becasue of Hurricane. I hear that WDW is closed today too. Is this confirmed?

what a day...

JRob2k1
09-11-2001, 08:09 AM
WDW is confirmed

mad4mky
09-11-2001, 08:19 AM
I heard it on the radio...and its also on MP's main page.

thamnarestan
09-11-2001, 08:20 AM
Has Disneyland ever been closed before for non-weather reasons?

This is just a terrible, terrible tragedy.

It seems that all of the news sites on the web are swamped with traffic. This is one of the few sites I can get on.

Main Street Magic
09-11-2001, 08:49 AM
Just to let you all know that I can only come up with one other instance where Disneyland was closed, that was when the Yippies "invaded" the park back in 1970. The park closed early (about 6 p.m.)...after a confrontation between several of the Yippies and some of management.

I was there......

Lani
09-11-2001, 09:22 AM
CNN has an article (http://www.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/NEWS/09/11/crash.disney.reut/index.html) about the Disney parks closing.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-11-2001, 09:52 AM
The park closed early (about 6 p.m.)...after a confrontation between several of the Yippies and some of management.

I was there......

So was I. As I recall, they took over Tom Sawyer's Island, and raised some sort of Communist flag.

Main Street Magic
09-11-2001, 10:43 AM
There were a bunch of events that were supposed to happen on that day. Yes, a group did "take over the fort" on Tom Sawyer Island and raised the Viet cong flag while the CM's who were manning the canoes gathered on the docks yelling "Yip, Yip, Yipee!" .....Other events were the female Yippies were supposed to meet in front of the Mickey Mouse Theater in Fantasyland and burn their bras, and there was supposed to be a protest in front of the Bank of America on Main Street. They did have a breakfast in Frontierland and basically just wandered around the park in groups most of the day. It wasn't until sometime in the afternoon when some of them were confronted by Disney security on Main Street. A scuffle broke out and in order to protect the rest of the guests a decision was made to close Disneyland early.:confused:

mrfantasmic
09-11-2001, 09:04 PM
Actually, this is only the second time that Disneyland has closed unscheduled. The first time was JFK's assassination.