PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Fun Wheel broke down 10/2/14

PhiSigDuchessCV
10-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Was anyone at DCA today? Mickey's Fun Wheel broke down with guests stuck for more then 2 hours. Dad said that he heard that they had to manually turn the ferris wheel in order to get get everyone off. I have seen that tidbit in any of the news I've read so far

West Covina Dave
10-02-2014, 09:46 PM
My wife and I were there today. We went back to ride Toy Story about 5:00 and found the entire Boardwalk closed except for Toy Story (Screaming was closed too). They wouldn't let anyone walk past the Toy Story queue. We couldn't see much happening except people sitting in the Funwheel cages. By time we got off Toy Story, a little before 6:00, they had the Funwheel moving and it looked like it had been evacuated.

I think the worst thing about being stuck in the Funwheel (unless you are afraid of heights) would have been the heat. It was over 100 degrees when we got to the park about 4:00 and there was no breeze, so people on the Funwheel must have been melting.

stan4d_steph
10-03-2014, 08:43 AM
This item from Fox 11 (http://www.myfoxla.com/story/26693325/riders-rescued-after-disney-ferris-wheel-malfunctions-at-california-adventure) mentions the manual movement of the wheel:

"A team of "cast members" and members of a park emergency crew moved into place and hand cranked the big wheel around bringing each gondola to the ground level. As each one lowered riders were offloaded."