PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Groups at Disneyland - Do They Distract from the Show?

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyphile
09-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I LOVE the concepts of Disneybounding (character-themed street attire) and "Dapper Days", because they totally fit in with the theme and spirit of the parks.

However, I've been noticing more and more non-Disney-related fan groups now having large costumed/themed gatherings in the parks, almost twice a month now. While I also love the fun of dressing in costumes to go to renaissance faires, conventions, etc., I really feel like these groups distract from the atmosphere and show that the parks present. I have even personally experienced some going as far to play act - a group of about 15 people dressed in full steampunk attire wandered around DCA before the makeover, and approached random guests about their "odd futuristic attire", and asked if they knew of the best ride powered by steam. (I wish I were joking.) And, no, they were not entertainment CMs.

It used to be just one or two groups, once a year, like Bats' Day, for example, but now it seems like other fandoms are using the parks as a place to gather. Is it just me, or is the line being crossed from common interests just gathering for a fun time to now trying to distract from the show? :confused:

SteveMartin
09-30-2014, 04:58 PM
I've been thinking that for the last 18-24 months that Disney has gotten way too lax about their "no costume" rules. For example; last summer I saw a 20 something year old young Asian woman dressed as Raggedy Ann in DCA.

I think it's becoming a major distraction.

tea4two
09-30-2014, 07:23 PM
I haven't seen anything really extreme (yet!), but as long as the fashions are in good taste and clearly distinguishable from a CM costume, I like it. It is fun to see how creative some people can be with Disbounding. I haven't really seen many cosplay outfits in the parks, but the ones at Expo were great. Sometimes it is hard to tell if someone is dressing up or wearing their regular clothes. Personally, I think the passion and creativity add to the magic -- it's fun to see how different people can express their passion for Disney in creative ways. And one thing's for sure, I'll take a steampunk group or Raggedy Ann over the guy dressed as a drunk, pregnant Tinkerbell at MHP any day.

Drince88
10-01-2014, 06:18 AM
I was QUITE surprised at one photo I saw recently of a crying angel in the park - full face/hand makeup and robes - and taking photos with other people. Especially when someone reported here a couple years ago that her high schooler was asked to remove Harry Potter robes when in the park.

Smorri
10-01-2014, 07:19 AM
That's it! Next time I go to Disneyland I'm bringing my trusty garden hose (Old Mertle) and my lawn chair, settin up camp in main street square and spraying those varmints that have fun differently than I do! Don't they know how intrusive that is?! Better I get them to act the way I want with a few squirts from Old Mertle!

And those families that wear matching t-shirts announcing to the world that they are related, at Disneyland or celebrating some offspring's birthday?! They ruin Disney for me!!

Me and Old Mertle will be waiting! Come get some!!

;)

Shortpix77
10-01-2014, 07:25 AM
I don't think it's intrusive when the groups are dressing up and showing their creativity, but I do think it would cross the line if they were interacting with other guests as characters or acting as though they were from different time periods (I haven't observed this, but I agree with the OP on that point if that's indeed happening).

I myself love Disneybounding and seeing what I can come up with to emulate characters or themes without being in an actual costume. I also love Dapper Day and Harry Potter Day and have gone on Bats Day just to people-watch. I think the line should be where that crosses over into interfering with others' experiences. If you're dressing up to have a good time and take some fun pictures, then I don't see the harm.

cstephens
10-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I myself love Disneybounding and seeing what I can come up with to emulate characters or themes without being in an actual costume. I also love Dapper Day and Harry Potter Day and have gone on Bats Day just to people-watch. I think the line should be where that crosses over into interfering with others' experiences.

Totally agree.

candles71
10-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Totally agree. +1

Smorri
10-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Actin like your from another time really riles me up! One day I was enjoying the sweet goodness of my Churro and some little varmit snuck up on me and stuck me nearly clean through with his plastic sword! The little pirate just looked and me and said "ARGG!". It's bad enough with all the little varmits acting like princess's and Luke Skywalkers, but then grownups actin up?! There are places for actin like kids and Disneyland is not it!

Tinkermommy
10-01-2014, 08:44 AM
someone reported here a couple years ago that her high schooler was asked to remove Harry Potter robes when in the park.

Oh my gosh...that was me! You have a good memory! What's notable about that is that after we took a few pictures at the train station, we walked up Main Street and noticed a uniformed security guard appeared to be following us. (We were two moms and four kids. They were either in middle school, or had just started high school. One was in elementary school. The kids were wearing Hogwarts robes. When we were going through bag check and the turnstiles, nobody batted an eye.) By the time we got to the castle, it was clear he was following us and...believe it or not...apparently waiting for backup. When the second uniformed guard arrived, they approached us together. They were polite about it, but the kids (rule followers all) were totally freaked out. It still makes me shake my head that they needed two uniformed security guards for that.

Another day, we stopped at Disneyland after the AnimeExpo. One of the kids in our party was wearing a "costume" from Ouran High School Host Club, which was just a blue suit (like a men's dress suit) with a patch on the breast. He was stopped at bag check and a lead summoned, because it was "obviously" a costume. I don't remember how we resolved it, but I do remember we had quite a bit of back-and-forth over it.

Now, it's not unusual to see young adult women wearing the...er..."adult" versions of Disney princess dresses in the parks (and I don't mean Disneybounding, which I love; I mean actual Halloween-type costume dresses); and other things that look like costumes on adults. Go figure.

olegc
10-01-2014, 09:23 AM
so with all of this discussion - what IS the costume policy in the parks? well, Disneyland Resort? I know they post specific policies during special events (like MHP) but where is a regular, everyday costume policy posted, if any?

Shortpix77
10-01-2014, 09:29 AM
From Disneyland.com:

Q.
What is the best way to dress for a day at the parks?

A.
The parks are a casual, family-oriented environment. We suggest you dress comfortably, wear good walking shoes and check the local weather report before you leave for the parks.

Ensuring that the parks are family friendly is an important part of the Disney experience. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense. Attire that is not appropriate for the theme parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance or ejection) includes but is not limited to:

Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character (unless you are dressing up for a particular event that allows costumes)
Masks (unless you are dressing up for a particular event that allows masks)
Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
Excessively torn clothing
Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
Tattoos that could be considered objectionable, such as with obscene language or graphics
A Guest is allowed into the parks if her or his hair (or make-up, if applicable) has been made to resemble a Disney Princess or character (for example, a child after a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique makeover) provided the Guest is not also wearing a costume or clothed to look like the character.

currence
10-01-2014, 09:40 AM
The kids were wearing Hogwarts robes. When we were going through bag check and the turnstiles, nobody batted an eye.) By the time we got to the castle, it was clear he was following us and...believe it or not...apparently waiting for backup. When the second uniformed guard arrived, they approached us together. They were polite about it, but the kids (rule followers all) were totally freaked out. It still makes me shake my head that they needed two uniformed security guards for that.

Another day, we stopped at Disneyland after the AnimeExpo. One of the kids in our party was wearing a "costume" from Ouran High School Host Club, which was just a blue suit (like a men's dress suit) with a patch on the breast. He was stopped at bag check and a lead summoned, because it was "obviously" a costume. I don't remember how we resolved it, but I do remember we had quite a bit of back-and-forth over it.

Now, it's not unusual to see young adult women wearing the...er..."adult" versions of Disney princess dresses in the parks (and I don't mean Disneybounding, which I love; I mean actual Halloween-type costume dresses); and other things that look like costumes on adults. Go figure.

This is the part that bugs me. I'm pretty sure that the rule hasn't changed, but their enforcement of it certainly has. I would like to think that they will go back to a stricter interpretation after Halloween time, but I'm not convinced.

It seems like part of the recent problem is the people who dressed up for the Frontierland cosplay events. Admittedly, I'm related to some people who wear "cowboy" attire as part of their regular wardrobe, but most don't. And even the ones I know who do, tend to wear 21st century cowboy rather than turn-of-the century attire.

I did a double take when we were last in the park when I saw an adult female, in a wheelchair, wearing a decidedly princess/prom dress. A few years ago I would have felt sorry for her because she was about to be turned away. This time, I just shook my head and wondered what would happen when she reached the various check-points.

It makes me wonder whether the tinkerbell from WDW who had a tantrum when she was turned away should have just waited a few years and tried at Disneyland instead.

Generally, I don't have a problem with "costumes" if they are more of the disneybounding style, could be worn as regular attire. To me, it's the difference between kid's PJ costumes and halloween costumes. The PJ ones are still regular clothes (admittedly, most people don't wear PJs in public, but that's a different issue). I have a few jackets that are heavily themed including the Perry the Platypus jacket that is/was sold at Disneyland. I have no problem with wearing that. But I/they might have a problem if I showed up to Disneyland with the jacket while in costume bottoms or possibly even in matching sweatsuit bottoms, because then it seems to morph from jacket to costume.

olegc
10-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character (unless you are dressing up for a particular event that allows costumes).

So dressing up in any OTHER costume, besides a Disney character, has no restrictions. (or so it appears). So I wonder if there is a conduct policy - that you can't portray yourself as a cast member or general entertainment object, or interact with guests assuming so. My guess is that everything is laid out specific for folks dressing as Disney characters, never once assuming that folks would dress in alternate styles and then interact with guests. Its OK I guess - but if they confuse a guest into thinking this is a part of the show, that's a problem. And, you know Disney lawyers, once something is a legal problem, they start adding lots of rules.

Sidebar - a Japanese tourist at the UCLA-Memphis game showed up in a complete Hot Dog costume (including yellow paint on their face for mustard) with apparently no intent other than to wear a costume in public. He ended up conducting one of our Alumni Band tunes. His tour group snapped plenty of photos. Oh well....

Shortpix77
10-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Within the last six months, I saw two adult men in complete Mario and Luigi costumes (hat, suit, fake mustache gloves... the whole nine yards). I saw them early in the day and thought to myself "wonder how long it is before security makes them change" and went about my day. I saw them again five or six hours later in a different part of the park. They were attracting a lot of attention, but clearly nothing was being done to stop them! (Also, this was not a Halloween thing. It was at least three months ago, but I can't remember exactly when.)

Smorri
10-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Mario and Luigi?! With women and children around?! And Disney didn't lay down the law to these villains?!! Mertle, I'm gettin the spray nossle!

Now comes a time after a couple of Mint Juleps, I may have my undies into the wind, and I don't need some fun lovin nitwit confusin me into thinkin I'm tradin mustache stories with Wreck-it Ralph when its actually some video varmit!

Drince88
10-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Oh my gosh...that was me! You have a good memory!
I could remember your IRL name, but not your screen name! I think why the story stuck with me was because at that age especially (but even still) I'm pretty much a rule follower, and I could totally see being really embarrassed by it if I'd been in your daughter's shoes.

I thought the rule before was no costumes, not no Disney costumes. Obviously HP isn't Disney - but you could wear a Bugs Bunny costume during normal days and not get turned away? Or a wedding dress and tuxedo and do a 'renegade' wedding?

Drince88
10-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Mario and Luigi?! With women and children around?! And Disney didn't lay down the law to these villains?!! Mertle, I'm gettin the spray nossle!

Now comes a time after a couple of Mint Juleps, I may have my undies into the wind, and I don't need some fun lovin nitwit confusin me into thinkin I'm tradin mustache stories with Wreck-it Ralph when its actually some video varmit!
My issue is the inconsistency of applying rules. (See my comment about being a rule follower - I expect the rule enforcers to follow the same rules, too!)
And you have to watch out for those Disneyland Mint Juleps - they're mighty potent!!! :)

stan4d_steph
10-01-2014, 10:27 AM
I don't think people should be dressing in costumes in the parks unless it's a special costume event.

candles71
10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
The are usually pretty strict about wedding attire for just that reason Drince.

If you aren't going to constructively add to the conversation, could you at least refrain from mocking it? Thank you.

Oleg. I think that part of the problem is people dress appropriately for getting through the turnstyle, but then change once inside, figurng they won't get caught.

olegc
10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
yeah - but sometimes the elaborate nature of the costume or attire makes you wonder - who did bag check? hats, faux glasses, etc. Especially the steam punk stuff. To me - its a matter of "don't let it be Disney (or wedding, etc)" in order to stop specific instances, not a general policy. As I hinted all, all it will take is one guest making a big stink on news or publicly about how they were duped at Disneyland concerning a "character" they thought was part of the show (even if it wasn't a specific Disney character) and it will be done. Until then, it will be applied inconsistently (as have many policies over the years in the Park).

candles71
10-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Oh and in the written rule, they define adult as over 9, for the costume rule. I believe it is set here as this is where ticketing changes as well. It seems they allow for slightly older kids, but they still have to look like a kid. N last wore a costume at 12, iirc. I have also seen older Down syndrome young ladies in full princess dresses, probably closer to 15 or 16, but it seemed to be a case where allowances were made.

Disneyphile
10-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Like I said, I love the Disneybounding (especially the creativity behind it), and totally find it appropriate, because it's a spin on street attire, with colors and a few accessories. As for unofficial theme days that are not even an event registered with Disney's special event services, it seems like they are popping up every couple weeks now, and suggesting not only costumes, but also "takeovers" of various attractions. It seems like it's starting to get a bit out-of-hand.

On a personal note, I just don't understand why someone would want Disneyland to be anything other than Disneyland. If I want to experience Steampunk, I'll go to a Steampunk event. Same thing with Harry Potter, Doctor Who, etc. (All of which I am a fan and do own various costumes for, by the way.)

And, that also makes me wonder why people can't dress up in wedding attire and freely go around getting group photos, "taking over" rides, etc. Essentially, that attire is no different than costumes. So, why is it enforced on them on not others?

cstephens
10-01-2014, 01:40 PM
And, that also makes me wonder why people can't dress up in wedding attire and freely go around getting group photos, "taking over" rides, etc. Essentially, that attire is no different than costumes. So, why is it enforced on them on not others?

Because if you want a formal wedding or wedding pictures in the park, you have to pay for that service.

candles71
10-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Because if you want a formal wedding or wedding pictures in the park, you have to pay for that service.
What C said, to the degree that if they think you are taking professional engagement photos, you will get.... I don't want to say in trouble but they will remove you if it gets that far. They sell engagement photo in park services.