PDA

View Full Version : WDW vs DL Halloween Party Parades

sjhanksaz
09-29-2014, 12:45 PM
So last year we attended the WDW Not so Scary Party and totally loved the parade.

So this year my daughter brought up a video of last year's one from Disneyland.

I must say that the WDW one was much better. Does DL just not have enough cast members to pull it off on the west side of the country?

olegc
09-29-2014, 01:51 PM
The Disneyland one is not intended to be a parade. It's titled "Mickey’s Costume Party" and its a cavalcade - loosely translated is two floats and some walkarounds. They have never spent a lot of effort on a parade portion for Halloween here. The money goes into dance parties, Halloween Screams fireworks, and lots of character meet and greets. Though, after almost 10 years, you'd think they would start to have a bit more on the parade front.

sjhanksaz
09-29-2014, 05:24 PM
The Disneyland one is not intended to be a parade. It's titled "Mickey’s Costume Party" and its a cavalcade - loosely translated is two floats and some walkarounds. They have never spent a lot of effort on a parade portion for Halloween here. The money goes into dance parties, Halloween Screams fireworks, and lots of character meet and greets. Though, after almost 10 years, you'd think they would start to have a bit more on the parade front.

I can see your point. I did notice that WDW didn't do too much as far as decorations, DL's much better at that.

tea4two
09-30-2014, 12:36 AM
I have heard that DL tested a headless horsemen for MHP, but the turn from the parade gate to Main Street is so sharp that the test horse kept stumbling/slipping/falling over and over, so the test was cancelled. It was decided that a horse cannot run at the desired speed without endangering itself and the rider (and guests!), so the headless horseman will remain a MK exclusive.
And at MHP, the main show is the fireworks.

olegc
09-30-2014, 06:30 AM
I'm guessing here but I think wdw's main st. Us wider and longer than Disneyland's. I would think that creates an issue for that specific presentation of the horse.

sjhanksaz
09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
I have heard that DL tested a headless horsemen for MHP, but the turn from the parade gate to Main Street is so sharp that the test horse kept stumbling/slipping/falling over and over, so the test was cancelled. It was decided that a horse cannot run at the desired speed without endangering itself and the rider (and guests!), so the headless horseman will remain a MK exclusive.
And at MHP, the main show is the fireworks.

How about some rubber on those horse shoes?

tea4two
09-30-2014, 04:42 PM
From what I heard, the test rider was very upset because he knew the stunt wouldn't work, but the test went through anyway. Rubber shoes aren't going to cut it when the safety issues are so great. It is not worth a person, rider or guest, or an animal being seriously injured for the sake of holiday entertainment.

olegc
09-30-2014, 09:45 PM
a kick from a horse (or a stomp) will still hurt whether it has rubber shoes or not. that's a big animal (especially a large black horse they would have to use for the presentation). And - with the litigeous-minded and safety groups from TDA minding the store it would not happen.

sjhanksaz
10-01-2014, 05:21 AM
The rubber shoes were for traction. Metal on concrete or asphalt is slippery. I was really half joking anyway.

tea4two
10-01-2014, 05:19 PM
I figured you were joking, but seriously, the turn angle is so sharp the nothing would help a running horse make that turn without endangering itself, the rider, and the audience. Can you imagine what could happen if a horse slipped and fell onto the kids sitting in front on the curb of Main Street?

Disneyphile
10-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Maybe they can add a cool Headless Horseman mini float of some sort later on. Something they can drive quickly, with maybe a cool mechanical horse and rider perhaps.

olegc
10-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Maybe they can add a cool Headless Horseman mini float of some sort later on. Something they can drive quickly, with maybe a cool mechanical horse and rider perhaps.

that sounds cool - though to me the whole cavalcade was a throw together in response to guest complaints about no parade whatsoever the first couple of years of the event. WHen this was at DCA they used to have the characters sit in the long surfer cadillac and wave to the crowd - that was it. one car (and a couple of people carrying a happy halloween sign).

JLM
10-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Since DLR can use Marvel characters, why not start the procession with a fast run by Ghost Rider? That would be cool!

Drince88
10-02-2014, 11:03 AM
There is SOOO much more to the WDW parade that would be awesome in DL besides the headless horseman - I don't think they should abandon the idea of a real parade just because they can't do the headless horseman pre-parade. (And if you're near the end of the parade route - there's a LONG time that passes between the HH and the next parade element).

Grave diggers and dancing ghosts are two of my favorite things from that parade that they could do. (Chernabog float which was also used in Spectro was another element I really liked - but that's too big for the narrow parade route at DL.)

sjhanksaz
10-02-2014, 05:06 PM
There is SOOO much more to the WDW parade that would be awesome in DL besides the headless horseman - I don't think they should abandon the idea of a real parade just because they can't do the headless horseman pre-parade. (And if you're near the end of the parade route - there's a LONG time that passes between the HH and the next parade element).

Grave diggers and dancing ghosts are two of my favorite things from that parade that they could do. (Chernabog float which was also used in Spectro was another element I really liked - but that's too big for the narrow parade route at DL.)

I agree, those were really cool, and all the villains. How about the Headless Horseman on a Harley?

spectromen
10-07-2014, 10:05 AM
The parade is the main reason I would buy a ticket in WDW. Here, there's nothing compelling me to go. Couldn't care less about fireworks and all the other decor is there every day during the season. Dance parties and trick or treat stations are cute, but not worth the money for this adult without kids.

The horse slipped and fell one night when I saw the parade in WDW. I felt so bad for the horse. The ground was wet; that's why. The horse kept running and the horseman, after collecting himself from the fall, just walked the rest of the route.

BlkPearlCptn
10-07-2014, 11:15 AM
If I understand right, the horseman is running the horse in WDW? WOW!!! I was the headless horseman at Knott's Scary Farm in 90 - 91. I was NEVER allowed to do anything more than a walk (too easy to slip or get the horse excited and lose control no matter how well trained they were) and we always used rubber coated shoes whenever they were on the walkways or streets for safety reasons. I see no reason that the horseman cannot be used in a parade at Disneyland if the proper precautions were put in place. Even a head walker (like they do with Marida's horse when she rides would be additional safety and not take away from the "look") But utterly amazed at the indication that they run the horse in WDW... even a trot on Main Street's surface could be a potential slip and fall for the animal. Anyone who works with horses should know this.

carolinakid
10-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Well, I'm no expert but I've seen the Headless Horseman twice and I'd say he's riding more at a trot; he's definitely not galloping down Main Street USA.

BlkPearlCptn
10-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Well, I'm no expert but I've seen the Headless Horseman twice and I'd say he's riding more at a trot; he's definitely not galloping down Main Street USA.

Glad to hear they're not loping or galloping him down Main Street. But still, even a trot on a street surface raises the danger of slipping substantially. Been riding in parades for years and just saying that there are safe ways to do it.

soccerlady16
10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
If I understand right, the horseman is running the horse in WDW? WOW!!! I was the headless horseman at Knott's Scary Farm in 90 - 91. I was NEVER allowed to do anything more than a walk (too easy to slip or get the horse excited and lose control no matter how well trained they were) and we always used rubber coated shoes whenever they were on the walkways or streets for safety reasons. I see no reason that the horseman cannot be used in a parade at Disneyland if the proper precautions were put in place. Even a head walker (like they do with Marida's horse when she rides would be additional safety and not take away from the "look") But utterly amazed at the indication that they run the horse in WDW... even a trot on Main Street's surface could be a potential slip and fall for the animal. Anyone who works with horses should know this.

Is Florida much more lax on the safety rules?
There is this, the headless horseman.
Also, when we were at WDW my 4yo met the height requirement for rides she can't ride in DL.

candles71
10-08-2014, 01:03 PM
I think it is more accurate to state that Cal OSHA has some of the strictest standards anywhere, rather than that Florida is lax.

Didn't we have a toddler slip into the water while boarding Jungle Cruise, unharmed but wet? I wonder if that has sparked some of these refits.