PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' -- Screen Issues?

Shortpix77
09-29-2014, 09:13 AM
I went on Soarin' yesterday and the film seemed to desperately need refurb -- there were over 20 splotches (a few of which were fairly large) that appeared, disappeared, and reappeared throughout the course of the ride. Has anyone else seen this? In the past I've seen a spot here or there that disappears quickly, but these were much larger, and EVERYWHERE, and kept coming back. It really took us out of the experience, which is sad because I love Soarin'!

stan4d_steph
09-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Dust spots. See them fairly frequently.

AVP
09-29-2014, 04:51 PM
I agree, they're really bad. The digital upgrade is supposed to address that, but we probably won't see that until the new film is released.

AVP

Janis and Aaron
09-29-2014, 05:17 PM
I went on Soarin' yesterday and the film seemed to desperately need refurb -- there were over 20 splotches (a few of which were fairly large) that appeared, disappeared, and reappeared throughout the course of the ride. Has anyone else seen this? In the past I've seen a spot here or there that disappears quickly, but these were much larger, and EVERYWHERE, and kept coming back. It really took us out of the experience, which is sad because I love Soarin'!

YES! I went on Soarin' on Saturday and was amazed at all the spots. It was the worst I've ever seen it. I mean, can't it be cleaned? I agree that it really took me out of the experience.

cstephens
09-29-2014, 05:29 PM
YES! I went on Soarin' on Saturday and was amazed at all the spots. It was the worst I've ever seen it. I mean, can't it be cleaned? I agree that it really took me out of the experience.

We usually referred to those as the UFOs. They were particularly funny if they were chasing the jets or the hot air balloons.

Nightwing
09-30-2014, 07:57 PM
If true... Its finally schedule for updating. But have not verified with my sources...

For me... Don't care if splotches! Just love the ride and I am very scared of heights!

potzbie
09-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Dust spots. See them fairly frequently.

"Holy optometrist, Batman!"

Is the dust on the film itself (middle medium)?
Is the dust on the lens (front-most part)?
Is the dust on the light source (rear-most part)?

I had assumed that the whole thing was digital, i.e., there is no film.
Just a computer file, turning ones and zeros into a color image.

cstephens
10-01-2014, 07:37 AM
I had assumed that the whole thing was digital, i.e., there is no film.
Just a computer file, turning ones and zeros into a color image.

Not yet.

Disneyphile
10-01-2014, 03:42 PM
It's a pretty old display in comparison with what's available nowadays. Projection technology has greatly changed in the last 13 years.