PDA

View Full Version : Candy changes. Anyone else notice?

Master K
10-13-2003, 11:39 AM
I know it's a little thing but has anyone else noticed all the candy has changed recently? (within the last 6 months is recently to me). The Fudge is different and many long time items are gone.

I have been getting the Milk Chocolate Bark since, well as long as I remeber going to Disneyland. Now it's gone.

My wife loved the truffles in the candy palace and my daughter loved getting a chocolate covered strawberry before we left. All of this is gone! Replaced by dime store quality junk!

I know this seems small but for me Disney has always been about the small things. :crying: :crying:

Also one of my favorite things to do was to get to the park super early and have breakfast while waiting for the rope to drop. I honestly son't know what TDA is thinking. My family spends like $50 less each day we go thanks to these changes.

Bill Catherall
10-13-2003, 01:11 PM
The sour balls were changed a few years ago too. It's sad...it was always a tradition for us when we were kids to pick up a bag of assorted sour balls. The new ones aren't sour and taste bland.

Morrigoon
10-13-2003, 01:23 PM
the strawberries are seasonal. At around $2 a pop, they're way too profitable to discontinue.

millionairegirl
10-13-2003, 01:25 PM
I don't think the stuff in Candy Palace and by Pooh is dime store junk! Maybe I don't understand what you are talking about, but I love the chocolate covered oreos (which I don't remember them having before), and the chocolate covered marshmellows are yummy!

Master K
10-13-2003, 01:27 PM
The truffles were like $4.25 (I don't remember exactly) but I was told at both the new Pooh Candy Shop (which had some truffles right when it opened and now has none) and at the Candy Palace on Sun that all of these types of items were "gone", they switched vendors and had reduced the number of items to "streamline operations". The cast member did not think they were coming back, seasonal or not.

Master K
10-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by millionairegirl
I don't think the stuff in Candy Palace and by Pooh is dime store junk! Maybe I don't understand what you are talking about, but I love the chocolate covered oreos (which I don't remember them having before), and the chocolate covered marshmellows are yummy!

Some of the new items are good, and I have no problem with roating selection, however the display case at the candy palace used to have a very nice selection of large truffles and other fresh made looking treats. That has been replaced by smaller things that look like an unpacked See's candy box. I do not mean to besmirch the items you love, but many long loved items are now gone.

Disneyphile
10-13-2003, 01:39 PM
Some old insider info about the clear-packaged candy at the Candy Palace:

The gold labeled stuff is made at a factory up north, and sits in the stock rooms for a loooooong time.

The white labelled are actually made there at DL, and are usually no more than 2 days old.

JenGood008
10-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Ok, I'm really glad someone has posted about this because yesterday I bought my traditional one scoop of taffy and it was completely different. It tasted very sweet and was all squishy. I know this sounds like how taffy is supposed to taste, but it just wasn't right at all! And to top it off, they raised the price! I'm planning on writing a letter...

disneyfreak168
10-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
the strawberries are seasonal. At around $2 a pop, they're way too profitable to discontinue.

They usually have 'em in the summer time (right?)? I'm not sure because I went to Marceline's Confectionary and they didn't have them. They had those "chocolate-covered candied cherries" ? Ugh!

cemeinke
10-13-2003, 06:29 PM
I have it from someone who's more of a Disney Candy Geek than I, that the "gold lable" candies were made by Shoemaker Candies (http://www.shoemakers-candies.com/) in Santa Fe Springs. According to her their candies are good and you can even tour their facilities (though I haven't pursued this). However, it is in fact the "white lable" candies that are made on site, and thus are the freshest and most infused with the Disney magic (i.e. they're the best).

I wonder if Disney got a new vendor for it's "gold lable? '

Cadaverous Pallor
10-13-2003, 06:57 PM
So how recently were these changes made?

Wizard69
10-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

If they take my chocolate covered strawberries away i'll just SCREAM!!

blewellen
10-13-2003, 07:59 PM
The other change to the taffy is that you can't get one kind. They only sale the variety now. My mom likes the Licorice kind only and doesn't care for any other. I went to get just that kind one week (around Sept 21st) and they were out of it. So, I went back on Oct. 5th and it was changed to variety only! The cast member said it was a new idea they were trying. Let me say I was not happy. I went and put my complaint in to Town Hall. Someone said in another message about writing a letter, I think I will do that too. :(

Take Care,

Brenda

http://www.geocities.com/b_lewellen

ralfrick
10-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Wizard69
If they take my chocolate covered strawberries away i'll just SCREAM!!

Melt some QUALITY (Lindt, Ghiradelli) dark chocolate on medium in the microwave (to about 110 degrees if you have a thermometer), dip the berries, put em on wax paper in the fridge and you have a genuine taste treat. :D I can't recall if I normally use 1/4 or 1/2 lb. choc to 1 lb. strawberries. Have some sliced banana handy for if there's any chocolate left ; the fruit should be chilled and dry, moisture will make the chocolate clump.

Bummer about the truffles, though, since there are many variations in how they can be made. I liked the double shell (dark and milk) on the ones at DL, which I've never tried to make before. They used to have VERY similar ones at the Dallas airport, but didn't the last time I flew through there, which has been a while. Since they were so similar, they're probably being made and sold somewhere assuming the manufacturer is still in business.

Now the best truffles I've ever had were made by Cocolat, a Bay Area company that went under many years back.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
However, there is a Cocolat Cookbook, and they're not that hard to make, and all you need is Chocolate, butter and cream. :D

DopeyWife
10-13-2003, 08:57 PM
My father-in-law has been upset the last few times we went because he used to love to get the almond bark at the candy store, and they haven't had that in a long time.

Master K
10-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
So how recently were these changes made?

I have not been going as often this year (that's another subject) but I am sure I got my old favorites in July. The wife took the kids in August and they were gone. We have checked at least 3 times since then as recently as yesterday and they have not returned.

I bought Fudge yesterday and I think the mystery is solved. Someone decided to drop the localcandy vendor and use one vendor for all park operations. The fudge we now have come from Kissimme, FL not Santa Fe Springs, CA as it used to.

The quality is lower and the selection of the "gold label" goods is less. There was almost NO white label goods at all that I could see. No bark of any kind, no fresh toffee (the toffee was from the same FL vendor). It is just a another small thing that points to the declining importance of quality and customer service to the bottom line.

I know it sounds funny to some but I always figured the rides could be fixed, new rides opened. The food service issues I have seen recently, lack of pre-open and post close Main St. time, and changes like this candy think strike me in a very deep place.

It's all about the experience, not just the rides. And they are killing the experience too. It's just so sad.

chelbell
10-14-2003, 07:16 AM
I ALWAYS get a package of divinity before we leave, and if anyone I know goes, to Disneyland, I MAKE them bring me back one. However, the last couple of times we have gone, the packages were MUCH smaller, and the prices had increased. I bought them anyway....so please tell me they haven't done away with this as well!:crying:

Kevy Baby
10-14-2003, 09:11 AM
Two things on the sweet tooth:

You used to be able to get Character Mix M&M's (Just he right mix of red black white and yellow representing Mickey, etc.) at Westward Ho Trading Company (the candy store next to te Shooting Gallery in Frontierland). Not available last time I was there.

You used to be able to get hand-spun cotton candy from a cart at the entrance to Sleeping Beauty Castle (they spin it right in front of you rather than pre-packaged). Haven't seen that in ages. I don't much care for it, but Mrs. Baby sure misses that.

cstephens
10-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by chelbell
I ALWAYS get a package of divinity before we leave, and if anyone I know goes, to Disneyland, I MAKE them bring me back one. However, the last couple of times we have gone, the packages were MUCH smaller, and the prices had increased. I bought them anyway....so please tell me they haven't done away with this as well!:crying:

They do still have that, but as an fyi, Knott's Berry Farm has a ton of fudge flavors, about 30, and their prices are slightly less expensive than at Disneyland. I don't know about the taste difference though. My husband loves divinity (I found out on Saturday...), and he bought some at Knott's but hasn't had any yet. And the best thing about the fudge at Knott's is that it's available in the outside store, so you just need to park in the three-hour free parking lot and run in and get some. They've got boysenberry punch concentrate there too...

DopeyWife
10-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby

You used to be able to get hand-spun cotton candy from a cart at the entrance to Sleeping Beauty Castle (they spin it right in front of you rather than pre-packaged). Haven't seen that in ages. I don't much care for it, but Mrs. Baby sure misses that.

That didn't seem to last very long. I miss the hand spun candy. It's more fun to watch them make it in front of you then to just buy the pre-packaged ones.

Kevy Baby
10-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by DopeyWife
That didn't seem to last very long. I miss the hand spun candy. It's more fun to watch them make it in front of you then to just buy the pre-packaged ones.
It was around for a good 4-5 years.

JenGood008
10-15-2003, 09:53 AM
If they are truly "just testing this out", then we should let them know how unhappy it is making us.

Guest Relations
1313 Harbor Blvd.
PO Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803

Let's write them while we still have the chance to change their minds;)

Wizard69
10-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by ralfrick
Melt some QUALITY (Lindt, Ghiradelli) dark chocolate on medium in the microwave (to about 110 degrees if you have a thermometer), dip the berries, put em on wax paper in the fridge and you have a genuine taste treat. :D I can't recall if I normally use 1/4 or 1/2 lb. choc to 1 lb. strawberries. Have some sliced banana handy for if there's any chocolate left ; the fruit should be chilled and dry, moisture will make the chocolate clump.

Thanks for the recipe :) I don't know where Disneyland gets their strawberries (from the field they own possibly?) but they are the BEST strawberries. So big and so juicy. Combined with the chocolate.. yummmmmm. I prefer the fudge over the chocolate. But, they only make the fudge ones on Sundays instead of everyday :(

[Mod. note: vBcode fixed around quoted material. -- Andrew]

Demigod121
10-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Guys, by all means, write to them and tell them you're disappointed.

They take people who write to them VERY seriously.

Enough letters and they will probably change it back.

When I did my short stint there (march - june this year in Security), they ALWAYS emphasized the SHOW, or the presentation and the experience of the guest. If you are not happy with it -- TELL THEM!

-Demigod

ralfrick
10-17-2003, 07:27 PM
You've set me thinking; may have to experiment when I'm making holiday fudge.