PDA

View Full Version : DLR- What to See? When to See? What to Skip?

Anthony
10-13-2003, 08:43 AM
Hello Everyone!

Next Wednesday my GF and I will arrive at DLR. We are staying at GCH, and should arrive at 3:00p.m. We are staying until Sunday afternoon.

I have been doing a ton of research on the subject, and I have purchased and read the Unofficial Guidebook. What I would really like, is to hear it from you guys, the experts- on what you would see, and when?

I understand that this time of year is a good time to visit, but what rides would you do and when? Do you guys plan your trips by the day? If so, what does that look like? Or do you just wing it? It sounds like just playing it by ear doesn't work so well.

Also, if we go to one 'real' restaurant per day, which restaurant, and which day? Is there a better day to attend some restaurants as opposed to others? Also, are there good restaurants that you can eat at, and also see the special shows and/or parades?

Thanks for all the help, I can really use it!

mrscoach
10-13-2003, 09:20 AM
FOR SURE go on Haunted Mansion Holiday as often as possible! It's said to be better than ever this year! And if the weather is warm, check out the pools at GCH - there's a great waterslide. I highly recommend Uva Bar in Downtown Disney, again, if the weather is warm enough. It's an outdoor circular bar that's all lit up at night. Pricey, but what isn't at Disneyland? If you have the time to get out of town, go see a sitcom taping - most are in Burbank or Studio City, both of which are within about an hour, I think, of Anaheim. They're free. If you're interested in this, go to www.audiencesunlimited.com and it will tell you what shows are taping during your stay, what shows have tickets available, and you can print your ticket right there from your computer. It's awesome.
And if Fantasmic is showing (I don't know if it is or not), it's worth the money, in my opinion, to pay the $40 or so for riverfront viewing. I've heard the balcony seats are even better.

Have a blast!

tod
10-13-2003, 09:30 AM
You know what you want to see from the official and unofficial guidebooks. What you need now is observers' opinions about what they like.

Fortunately, this board is filled with Disneyland fans who know exactly what they like and gleefuly describe it at length. Look around (a search on the word favorite should keep you busy for hours) and learn.

Let me get you started:

Don't underestimate Main Street. It's filled with charm and points of interest. I particularly like the retreat ceremony, when they take down the flag at sundown.

Get there at the start of the day. Rope drop is fun, if they do it the morning you're there, and having the Park to yourself for a couple of hours is an unforgettable memory. Also the place is gorgeous, freshly washed and ready for a new day.

There's nothing quite as romantic as a trip on the Mark Twain at night.

That oughta get you started....

-T
:fez:

We will expect a full report, you know...

millionairegirl
10-13-2003, 10:10 AM
I for one do not enjoy Blue Bayou's dinner menu, but I'm a big fan of the lunch offerings. And since there are no windows the ambience is not compromised. Guest services at the GCH should have menus.

I'm also a big fan of Catal and Ralph Brennan's in DTD. I've heard wonderful things about Yambuki (sushi/japanese) and Granville's. The breakfast buffet at Storytellers is fabulous, and the pesky rodents stick to the vestibule (j/k chip and dale fans!). I'm trying out Napa Rose this month so I will let you know, but if you like wine and good food it sounds like a must do.

In terms of strategy, I'd suggest getting to Disneyland at opening, and then when it gets too crowded for your liking head to DCA for the 12:00 millionaire show! (and then the 1:00, and then the 2:00, etc. I'm not obsessed really!). Take time to sit around and soak in the atmosphere in both parks (yes, DCA has plenty of atmosphere!)