PDA

View Full Version : When to go to DL

Mommy2NicknMax
10-11-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking about taking a trip down from Seattle but I'm not sure what would be the best dates to go. I'm looking at either Thursday, Nov. 20th - 24th OR Thursday, Dec. 4th - 8th.

I'm wondering how the crowds would be those weekends though? Also I'm trying to find a hotel that is right near the entrance. I'm taking this trip alone and really don't want to have to walk to far at night (I'm chicken). Any suggestions?

I really feel like a total loser going to DL alone. Anyone here do it and have a good time?

Thanks so much!
Crystal

disneygalforlife
10-11-2003, 01:26 PM
DEFINITELY the December dates. I have had the least crowed trip to DL whenever I go from the Monday AFTER Thanksgiving to the week before Christmas.

jazzjunkie
10-11-2003, 11:00 PM
I really feel like a total loser going to DL alone. Anyone here do it and have a good time?

This will be my 3rd time :D I'm planning to be at the park from Dec 1st-4th, maybe 5th (because as disneygalforlife says, that's the least crowded week). Avoiding weekends because weekend flights cost more!

If you would like some company on the 4th, just give me a PM! I'm sure NA and her hubby can vouch for the fact that I'm fairly harmless company ;)

EandCDad
10-12-2003, 05:41 AM
I would go December 1-4. November is also uncrowded but the days you listed in November include a weekend which is going to be more crowded. To further beat the crowds, make sure you get to the park a little before the published opening times. Just a note, while historically, the weekdays in November and early December are some of the least crowded times, the proliferation of AP's combined with the truly excellent Christmas festivities starting in early November have really increased even the weekday crowds.

As far as a place to stay. Best Western Park Place Inn (http://www.bestwestern.com/prop_05470) is literally right across the street from the resort and I think is acknowledged as about the closest hotel to the main gate of DL and DCA (off-property).

Mommy2NicknMax
10-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to go in Dec rather than Nov (thanks Disneygalforlife). I wish I could avoid going during a weekend but I can't. It's either those dates, or stay here in Seattle and watch it rain.

I do have a question about the crowds though. I was there in early August and it was pretty crowded then. Would the first weekend in December be more or less crowded, in your opinion?

Also what is CA weather like in early December?

Jazzjunkie - a PM is coming your way. :)

EandCDad - thanks for the tip on the hotel.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-12-2003, 09:39 PM
always the first week in December for a big birthday celebration !!!! This year is the first time we have had a hard time finding an onsite hotel room. But we succeeded and the trip is on December 3-6th..... and if Fantasmic is running, I will be seeing it for the first time in years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MammaSilva
10-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Just a heads up.. Walts birthday is Dec 5th (not that the park does much to honor it but a few die hard fans will be there) then on the 6th & 7th of December the annual Candlelight program will be going and believe me that brings in major crowds....rumor has it that it will be back on Main street as opposed to the Fantasyland theater but as always when dealing with Disney, don't believe it til you see it with your own two eyes then take photographic evidence for later ;)

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Sometime around 1 pm on December 5th I will be having my birthday bucket ( so the little princess can have all the good parts) and lighting an extra candle for Walt. My husband thinks I am certifiable, but I've always thought it was cool to share a birthday with the man who brought us the Happiest Place on earth. Even with the disrepair and disregard of the new management I love Disneyland and always will.

Mommy2NicknMax
10-14-2003, 05:59 AM
Another question, what is the weather like down there in early December?

Thanks!

mousey_girl
10-14-2003, 06:51 AM
One year it was verrrrry cold, the next, well, the boys went swimming at the hotel.

Dress in layers and be prepared for anything.

jazzjunkie
10-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Another question, what is the weather like down there in early December?

depends on where you're from :D Last year I was there late Nov/early Dec and I needed a light fleece vest for evening.