PDA

View Full Version : Has DL made anyone sick?

Darren
10-11-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm starting to get excited. I'm leaving on the 23 for a week+ vacation in the dlr area. I'm looking forward to seeing DCA. haven't been for awhile as my son was born 3 years ago and has kept us pretty tied down. I am eager to make my own judgements about DCA and am going to try going in with an open mind.

Quick question...

Has the stress/anxiety/exhaustion of a Disney Vacation ever made anyone sick?

Our last trip in 2000 was great but on our last night there I got ythe chills, shakes and fever so bad I thought something had really hit me but it left quite quickly. I read a few years ago in the Unofficial Guide to DL about someone else who had anxiety attacks while on holiday. Has this happened to anyone else?

:(

merlinjones
10-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Disneyland is very relaxing if you don't put a stress on yourself to run around and keep busy at every moment. Since you seem to have multiple days, no problem. Relax, sleep in, lounge by the pool, go for walks in between park visits, get a cocktail, watch the people.

WDW is far more stressful as they have things opening and closing on rigid schedules to manipulate the masses from magic mornings to late nights. With so much to do, there is less relaxation in between if you want to "get your money's worth."

Disneyland is just the opposite. Two days at Dl will give you plenty of time for everything at the park, and a half day at DCA is plenty if you are curious.

Just relax and enjoy life and stroll what remains of Walt's wonderful grounds. Don't spend extra on silly time and seating related schemes. It isn't necessary.

By the way - - you don't have to go on every ride.

Nancy
10-11-2003, 01:00 PM
The first time we took our youngest kids they were 2&3 years old. My daughter was fine the first 2 days. On the third night she threw up all night. I didn't know if it was the food or if she ate with dirty hands or what.Now I notice kids hanging on everything possible, playing with trash can openings, generally touching everything. Since that experience I now carry with me in my "nerdy" fanny pack, a small container of disinfecting hand cleaner. (the drop or two will do it kind) It hasn't happened again in the past 8 years.:)

Haldwitten
10-11-2003, 01:34 PM
If you're going to be at the Resort for any extended time, those handy-wipes are a must. Guests bring all kinds of bugs into the park and CMs are constantly picking up these little gifts. FastPass has made it even worse because they are like little sample packets of whatever the Guest has making them sick. Blech. And with those same people touching handrails and such, yes you can easily pick up a bad bug on vacation.

Good idea!

Doodle Duck
10-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Please pay attention to above post about handywipes...especially the anti-bacterial kind.
Keep your kids from putting their mouths on the hand rails etc. (aaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggg!) Testing ahs proved there are countless dangerous bugs beig deposited not just colds and flu.

We're not being hypocondriacs about this either. This is a real problem...easily solved by washing your hands or using the wet wipes on a regular basis.

If you really want a sick free trip...bring a tiny can of Lysol into the restroom with you for the seat.

uberfrau
10-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I've also found that its very easy to become dehydrated and overheated, which can lead to shakes and fever and chills and nausea, which can leave fairly quickly. Also, I tend to eat less healthy food, which can really mess with your blood sugar, leaving you prone to some of those same symptoms.

But yeah, the park can get pretty icky, with that much humanity in close quarters!

Sonya in Boise
10-11-2003, 10:40 PM
I think it's really important to try to keep the same schedule while at DL. I noticed a huge difference in my kids when we ate and napped at the same times. Also, watch the food choices you make. It is very easy to say "We're on vacation, go ahead and eat ..." On one of our first trips to DL my 3 year old daughter got sick in the middle of the night, but was fine the next morning. While thinking back on our food choices, I realized how different they were from at home. After that I make sure they eat balanced meals and get plenty of fresh fruit, something we eat a lot of at home. Even thought the prices are quite high in the park, it is worth it if my kids don't get sick while at DL.

mom_rules
10-12-2003, 05:57 AM
I just got back late Tues night-I was mildly sick (headache/upset stomach the 2nd night), My DS (15) & DH were mildly sick the 3rd and 4th days, my DD (18) was extremely, lying in bed, throwing up sick on the 5th day. There must have been some kind of flu bug going around because later on in concierge lounge I overhead a man telling the staff his wife and daughter were both in bed (2 days) with flu and he had a more mild case. All in all about 8 or 9 people on the sixth floor were sick while we were there!

hobo_n
10-12-2003, 05:47 PM
A smell by big tunder rail road my me soooooooo sick i start throwing up. I was throwing up past that hole ride. The smell was so bad.

Captain Josh
10-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Well, sometimes I get a bit exhausted, and dehydrated.

Oh, and if I'm there on an 80'z All-Stars night, the next day I'm pretty sore from jumping around like an idiot.

Freerider127
10-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Just relax and have a good time. Like they say you do not have to ride everything but with a week I am positive you can do everything at a fun and enjoyable time. :D

newhdplayer
10-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Darren

Quick question...

Has the stress/anxiety/exhaustion of a Disney Vacation ever made anyone sick?

:(

Yes. I believe I was exposed to the "NT" virus. I am still suffering from aftereffects now.

Black Pearl
10-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Wow! All this time I thought I had an isolated incident 2 years ago. Mrs. Black Pearl & I went to DLR for our anniversary. On our second day, I started to get chills, high fever, headache and cold sweats. By our fourth day, I was a wreck. We were going to stay another day at Huntington Beach, but I was so sick, we tried to make it home to Phoenix. We made it as far as Palm Springs before we decided it was time to stop. I slept an entire day before we decided to try and make it home. That was a very long couple of hours, let me tell you. Once home, I stayed in bed, in an almost lethargic state for another couple of days. We had always figured that I must have accidentally gulped down some Splash Mountain water. In fact, to this day, we call the whole episode my, "Exotic Splash Mountain Infliction", but the more I read, the more I believe it was just some 7 year olds flu ridden snot on a handrail. YUK.

Nancy
10-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Black Pearl
Do you know how many "grown-ups" I see that do not wash their hands after using the rest room!! Your germ may not have come from a child.:confused:

fairytalelover
10-14-2003, 12:52 PM
GWS and I got VERY VERY sick after eating popcorn at DL! We ate the popcorn and minutes later we made a mad dash to our hotel room and stayed there for the rest of the night. We will never go near popcorn at DL again!!
We now refer to it as poopcorn:D

Not Afraid
10-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Having an PAP and going to DL quite a bit has it's advantages.

I honestly feel that I have been exposed to so many evil bugs that I have a very healthy immune system. I probably get one big cold a year and I don't remember the last time I've had the stomach Flu.

So, I everyone should go to DL a lot as well as play in the gutters.:D

zapppop
10-14-2003, 04:23 PM
I got sick about a week 1/2 ago on Thursday night but the cold didn't effect me until the next day in Disneyland.

This past summer, while in Euro Disneyland, I got sick because I didn't wash my hands before eating my lunch. It was the one time I didn't wash my hands before eating. I thought it was no big deal. Guess not. At first, innerSpaceman thought I was having an allergy attack. Damn those euro coins !

Biscuit
10-16-2003, 04:16 PM
I lost my voice with all the screaming I did on the big rides. I particularly went hard out on the vocal chords when on Screamin', coz that was the first ever BIG rollar coaster I've ever done in my life.

I dunno whether I picked something up on the plane (long haul flight) or the lost voice facilitated it, but for the rest of our trip (post-Disney) I had a bit of a cold.

Black Pearl
10-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Nancy
Black Pearl
Do you know how many "grown-ups" I see that do not wash their hands after using the rest room!! Your germ may not have come from a child.:confused:

Okay, some 97 year olds flu ridden snot on a handrail.;)

tinksmom
10-19-2003, 06:12 PM
I don't know if this counts as sick, but---

Last summer we flew out in the late afternoon, so we planned to spend the morning in the park. I wore my Chaco sandals, as they are very comfy to fly in and it doesn't matter if they get wet (we planned to hit Splash Mountain first thing.) We rode Splash Mountain 4 times in a row, and the fourth time I got soaked--including my (almost) naked feet. Well, by the time we got to the airport, I had developed a nasty, oozing rash all over my feet, except for where the sandal straps were. There must have been some sort of chemical or something in the SM water.

kisroo
10-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Being away from DLR makes me sick...;)
One of my girlfriend's hubby gets sick almost every time they go. it could be the germ combo from flying (recirc air...ick!!!), working so hard before a vacation, and lots of grownup and kiddo germs in line. Anyhoo~he has gotten sick 3 of their 4 trips to DL/WDW. Poor guy!
I'm glad I've never :knocking on wood: gotten sick while enjoying my time there!
~kisroo:)