PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky, sneaky. Matterhorn has seats!

candles71
09-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Went on Matterhorn this evening. There are now seats in the sleds. About 5 to 6 inches off the floor of the sleds. I was not rolled back on my tailbone and I didn't have to sit up to not be on it. I was in the front of the second sled, but my almost 6' son said he was able to get his feet further into the foot wells and was comfortable as well. He was in the back of the front sled.
Someone has been listening. :)

cstephens
09-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Hmm, thanks for the info. May need to try it this weekend.

TTFN92
09-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Interesting. We'll have to check it out in a few weeks :).

carolinakid
09-10-2014, 04:44 AM
I never had a problem with the old seating but if this makes it more comfortable for some then that's a good thing!

candles71
09-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Since the major refurb, carolinakid, many here just haven't ridden it anymore. the lack of a seat in the new sleds made it painful. I still rode it by leaning forward so I was off my tailbone. Getting up from the flat bottomed sled was difficult at times. :)

houseofmouse
09-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Anyone have pictures?

candles71
09-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I got all excited last night, only the front seat has a seat. The middle and back only have an extra inch of padding on top of the inch that was there to start with. So, if you have trouble getting off thhe flat bottom, ask for a front seat (row 1 or 4). Now, we just need them to do the other seats as well.
HoM, I tried to get a picture but you can't really tell anything from it.

Janis and Aaron
09-10-2014, 06:04 PM
This is good news! Might be worth trying that ride again.

olegc
09-11-2014, 09:13 AM
i tried to look yesterday afternoon (4pm) but the ride was closed and it was hard to see inside the sleds. I guess by evening they opened again.

jmorgan
09-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Hopefully my tailbone will able to stand the new padding.

disneylandgirl
09-11-2014, 03:00 PM
I just rode on Sunday and was greatly reminded if why I never go on this. It beat me up top to bottom no matter if I sat up or not. One new factor, I got completely drenched at the end. Apparently the left side's water was overly full that day and was showering guests. Like, buckets of water on us, lol.

Goodnplenty
09-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Wow, a real seat? Is it a seat like we have here at WDW in the vehicles for Space Mountain?

olegc
09-12-2014, 06:53 AM
So is it a seat bottom without.a new back? Or a whole molded seat installed on top of the old one.

DisneyGator
09-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Does the seat come with shiatsu massage devices for the back and neck? Might as well get a head start on what you'll need by the end of the ride.

Mickeygirlforever
09-12-2014, 09:05 AM
I just rode on Sunday and was greatly reminded if why I never go on this. It beat me up top to bottom no matter if I sat up or not. One new factor, I got completely drenched at the end. Apparently the left side's water was overly full that day and was showering guests. Like, buckets of water on us, lol.

This happened to me while I was there for the Disneyland Half! I was shocked because I wasn't expecting it! I'm glad I wasn't the only one! :)

ginodeyoung
09-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Interesting! I've never had a problem with the ride, but I've noticed getting quite wet over the summer on the left side. I hardly ever ride the right side but I did last weekend and it felt much rougher than the left. I've never noticed a lack of seats or the presence of seats - but I do remember how fun it was In the original configuration :-)

AVP
09-14-2014, 04:14 PM
I got photos of the sleds this weekend. I've been asking around, and can't pinpoint when they made this change. It doesn't look to me like they added a seat to the front row; rather, they removed a floor panel that was flat with the seat.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/168850-1/Matterhorn1-091214-AVP.jpg

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/168854-1/Matterhorn2-091214-AVP.jpg

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/168858-1/Matterhorn3-091214-AVP.jpg

candles71
09-14-2014, 08:08 PM
I could see it as removing the floor panel. Probably just having my feet down helped keep me off my tailbone.

bumblebeeonarose
09-15-2014, 11:25 AM
I wonder if they made this change a while ago, as I rode it in June and I thought it didn't seem as bad. Not sure though. DD wanted to ride Saturday, but we were ready to go and the line was a little long (it had been closed earlier that morning). For me it is the jostling around as I try to brace with my arms that is so bad on the ride. We also noticed getting wet in June. It was HOT this weekend though, so it would be a nice touch if they did make it wetter for guests.

familymemories
09-15-2014, 01:58 PM
I totally would ride it again with seats. I did not even ride it on our last trip December 2013.

Goodnplenty
09-18-2014, 05:27 AM
Thanks AVP for the pictures. I think you are correct, it looks like they removed part of the flooring. It's not like the seats that we have over here in Space Mtn. I am glad though, that they are still trying to improve the seating. It's good to know that they realize some changes and tweaks still need to be made.

GnP :)

MadasaHatter
09-22-2014, 07:02 PM
The trick for not getting jerked around in my experience is riding the bob sleds as if you were on.....wait for it........ready......well.....a BOBSLED! Just lean when the car leans as if you are steering it and not only is it less herky-jerky but also more fun and more active....just a little tip....keep in my that I am mad!

North County
09-23-2014, 03:07 AM
My wife and I went on the updated ride in late August with much regret. My kids had never been on it. At 38 years old it is already too much for my neck and back. Never again Matterhorn! I keep thinking in my head that every time they refurbish the ride they are gonna somehow make it smoother but they never do.

Goodnplenty
09-23-2014, 06:09 AM
The trick for not getting jerked around in my experience is riding the bob sleds as if you were on.....wait for it........ready......well.....a BOBSLED! Just lean when the car leans as if you are steering it and not only is it less herky-jerky but also more fun and more active....just a little tip....keep in my that I am mad!

That's a big 10-4!! Mad, I always lean into the curves on the Matterhorn. I'll even call it out to others while on the sled. "Lean Baby, Lean!" It's just so much fun to pretend and race the other bobsled if you happen to come next to them. :)

GnP