PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Cats - Where are the Feeding Stations?

Pages : [1] 2

disneylandgirl
09-03-2014, 08:07 AM
I haven't seen a DL cat in YEARS. I used to see them all the time by Hungry Bear but I recently read online (disneylandcats.com) that the feeding station is no longer there (which would explain why I haven't seen them over there in quite some time). I'm heading to the park this Sunday and would like to spot some kitties. Also, I'm going to CA Adventure on Monday and would love to spot some kitties there too. Anyone know where some of the feeding stations are so I can snap some pics?

tea4two
09-03-2014, 02:46 PM
You don't need to locate a feeding station to spot kitties. We see 2 or 3 regularly (2 seem to be a bonded pair -- a white with black spots and an orange one, about a year old) along the tram route. There is a long hair calico in the Grizzly Rapids area. Sometimes we see cats by the DLH.

BlkPearlCptn
09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Wish I remember exactly what FB page it was on (I believe it was the Official Disneyland page)..but just a couple of days ago they posted pics of a number of the cats along with their names. We also see two or three everytime we go.

Janis and Aaron
09-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Yeah, you can see the long hair calico pretty much every late afternoon/dusk along the Grizzly Rapids area, or sometimes in Condor Flats. Best sighting opportunity seems to be just past the big rocks on your left as you go from Condor Flats into the Grizzly area. She is more of a "looking" than a "touching" cat and has been known to lightly nip fingers when she is done with you petting her. :)

SteveMartin
09-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I've often seen one in the grape vineyard behind Blue Sky Cellar, and at the top of the rocks near there too.

tea4two
09-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah, you can see the long hair calico pretty much every late afternoon/dusk along the Grizzly Rapids area, or sometimes in Condor Flats. Best sighting opportunity seems to be just past the big rocks on your left as you go from Condor Flats into the Grizzly area. She is more of a "looking" than a "touching" cat and has been known to lightly nip fingers when she is done with you petting her. :)

That is Francesca. Was named Francisco by CMs who didn't know that calicos are usually female. She's very pretty and, true to her calico nature, she does like giving the bitey.

Janis and Aaron
09-04-2014, 09:34 PM
That is Francesca. Was named Francisco by CMs who didn't know that calicos are usually female. She's very pretty and, true to her calico nature, she does like giving the bitey.

Thanks - now I can address her properly when I see her again!

adriennek
09-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I've seen Francesca. She's BEAUTIFUL.

We saw a pretty kitty at the DLH this weekend, between Trader Sam's and the building near Trader Sam's.

PhiSigDuchessCV
09-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Wish I remember exactly what FB page it was on (I believe it was the Official Disneyland page)..but just a couple of days ago they posted pics of a number of the cats along with their names. We also see two or three everytime we go.

If you find out what page it was on I would love to see those pics

Janis and Aaron
09-10-2014, 06:02 PM
If you find out what page it was on I would love to see those pics

It's not a Facebook page, but I found a website that has a lot of information (and pics!)
http://disneylandcats.com/

candles71
09-10-2014, 09:21 PM
I got a picture of Franchesca yesterday, she is pretty.

disneylandgirl
09-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone! We were on the lookout and saw THREE cats this trip! One was back in hungry bear, underneath. One was while stopped on the train at fantasyland / toontown station - he was just on the other side of the fence behind the train staring at us! And the third was the orange kitty sleeping on the rocks in CA by blue sky cellar. :-)))))

Janis and Aaron
09-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone! We were on the lookout and saw THREE cats this trip! One was back in hungry bear, underneath. One was while stopped on the train at fantasyland / toontown station - he was just on the other side of the fence behind the train staring at us! And the third was the orange kitty sleeping on the rocks in CA by blue sky cellar. :-)))))

Glad you got to see some! I know it always brings a smile to my face when I'm lucky enough to spot one.

carolinakid
09-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Stupid question here....but if the reason for the presence of feral cats is to manage the vermin (rats/mice) population at DL, why do they have feeding stations? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? Or perhaps in doing their job so effectively there aren't enough rodents around to keep their bellies full? Just curious...

tea4two
09-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Just a guess here... The feeding stations are quite minimal -- only dry food in what look like little dog houses -- so there is just enough food to keep the cats from starving, but not enough to make them fat and lazy. This reliable source of dry food helps keep the cats on the property and stops them from roaming around the neighboring areas looking for other offerings. It is also a reliable source of food for the pregnant and nursing momcats who may not be able to hunt regularly.

Janis and Aaron
09-12-2014, 06:29 PM
It is also a reliable source of food for the pregnant and nursing momcats who may not be able to hunt regularly.

From what I read, they spay & neuter the kitties. It said that kittens do happen from time to time, sometimes because a new female appears and sometimes because they accidentally miss a cat (doesn't look like they notch the ears like vets do when you bring in a feral cat for spay/neuter, so they may not know for sure who they've fixed already). The article said that if kittens do happen, they are adopted out to CMs, as are any cats who approach the Guests too freely.

The only kittens I've ever seen were along the tram route from the parking structure. Probably an easier access point for "outside" cats than the areas deep inside the park. Has anyone else seen kittens anywhere?

tea4two
09-13-2014, 01:22 AM
... Has anyone else seen kittens anywhere?

Last year or the year before, a cat had her litter under the back of First Aid in DL. Don't know where the nearest feeding station was for her, but I'm sure she was glad to have it. Patches (long hair calico by Whitewater Snacks) had 3 kittens whom she faithfully trained to be very friendly. I heard that the whole family was adopted out to CMs because of the overly friendly problem. CMs have told me that there aren't too many kittens around DLR, but that there are usually a few litters a year. (And, sadly, not all kittens survive, so that cuts down on the numbers, too.)

Janis and Aaron
09-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Saw an orange and white kitty today, curled up on the Forbidden Landing at Jungle Cruise. It was tucked away in the corner of the dock and the CM pointed it out. Made my day!

Jiminy Cricket
09-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Saw an orange and white kitty today, curled up on the Forbidden Landing at Jungle Cruise. It was tucked away in the corner of the dock and the CM pointed it out. Made my day!
Here's the cat napping at the sign of danger. Taken yesterday.

Janis and Aaron
09-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Here's the cat napping at the sign of danger. Taken yesterday.

He/she was curled up next to that same crate when we saw it today. The CM even made a joke about it ("the forbidden cat"). I wonder how long it's been hanging around there - anyone know?

eabaldwin
09-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I have seen a few cats along the tram route from M&F also. Since reading about them, I always look for them. My husband thinks I'm nuts, looking for cats at DL, but I think it's neat!

Now, I'm going to be looking whenever we take a Jungle Cruise! :)

candles71
09-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Actually behaviorists say cats that are well fed are better hunters.

Toocherie
09-15-2014, 08:54 AM
We were at Alfresco Lounge (above Wine Country) on Friday and there was an orange cat basically begging to be petter just over the low wall where the landscaping was. He was a cutie. At least I think it was a he. He was missing the tip of one ear. He looked well fed.

tea4two
09-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Actually behaviorists say cats that are well fed are better hunters.

It is nice that the DLR cats look healthy and happy, especially if it makes them do their job more efficiently for Disney. It would be sad to see cats that looked thin and hungry.

SteveMartin
09-15-2014, 09:53 AM
They must dream about the giant mouse as the ultimate prey!