PDA

View Full Version : What Was The Worst Time You Had @ Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

ZipadeedooDave
10-09-2003, 04:47 PM
For all of us Disneyland/DCA lovers, not every day is a 'walk in the park' (parden the pun). Sometimes, bad things happen...you get sick, you lose money, or whatever.

What is the worst time you ever spent at Disneyland ???

Mine happened in November 1994. Some of you may actually remember this, if you are a CM or something....as I have spoken to some personal friends of mine that recall this incident.

My close friends were moving to Colorado in December 1994. I had grown up with them, their eldest daughter having been like a sister to me since we were in kindergarten (we're still in contact now in 2003, in fact).

Since they would be leaving and the 'dad' was already in Colorado establishing a new home for the family, the Mom and the daughters and a few close friends and I went to Disneyland for the day. It was Deaf Awareness Day and we each got in for like $16 -- since the middle daughter was a sign language student @ Fullerton College.

Anyway, we met at the castle about 3pm -- some of us having met earlier and so forth, the entire group congregated at that time at the castle.

We decided to make our way to Tomorrowland....and just as that decision was made, the Lion King Parade began......

As we walked toward the Plaza/Hub, the MOM fell off of the curb and ended up breaking both of her ankles, her hip and tailbone.

This was a good day until this happened....

I thought Disney took good care of the MOM and the rest of us....they offered her a settlement very soon after the accident and gave the entire group plus one complimentary tickets for a later date, should we wish to return.

the Mom did sue, but she lost the case, from what I understand....

Anyway, that was the 'worst day' I ever spent at Disneyland.

Anyone else have a bad experience @ The Happiest Place on Earth???:rolleyes:

Freerider127
10-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Pretty much every time I go I have a good time. This summer my cousin from Holland was visiting and we showed her stuff like six flags, vegas, and then Disneyland. She complained all the time about how she wanted to eat and at night when it was warm we were all the way at Indy and she wanted to go get her sweatshirt all the way at mainstreet. Then because the Mcdonalds was closed she wanted to go find another McDonalds out of the park! Then to top it off we asked her how she liked it and she said "I thought it would be bigger" . In the end she did thank us for everything but that day at Disneyland was very stressfull for me.

SteveK
10-09-2003, 07:55 PM
I took a date there and after I had paid for tickets, gone in the park and stayed for about 15 minutes, she informed me she was claustraphobic (sp?) and didn't like large crowds. $100 down the drain for 15 minutes in Disneyland.

There have been other times when I haven't enjoyed myself as much but that's usually when it's so completely crowded and hot that nobody could truly be enjoying themselves.

-Steve

Captain Josh
10-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Pretty much when I sign in people, who insist I stay with their party, yet treat me like I shouldn't even be there.

It's only happened once.

BJW
10-09-2003, 08:11 PM
DCA's first weekend ever was the worst. It poured down rain the whole time. The resort was full of new employees who didn't know what they were doing. No one knew, including the employees, the parking arrangement, etc. My AP just ran out and they wouldn't let me renew it because they suspeneded APs. I rode every ride at DCA in under 1 hour and it took me another hour to see the shows due to lack of crowds. I spent most of the rest of that weekend in DL. The hotel sold me a park-hopper ticket but the gates didn't want to honor it, citing there were no tickets like that. The hotel kept insisting otherwise. I got food poisoning from Rancho del Zocalo. To top it all off the Grapevine was closed 3 days due to excessive snow and I missed 3 days of work and almost got fired because of this. If it weren't for a member of upper-management also being in the area having the same problem I probably would have gotten fired.

mamabot
10-09-2003, 08:46 PM
It's 1985, and it is the weekend before I started the ninth grade. I was fourteen at the time. I went to Disneyland with 5 of my friends. Three of us wanted to stay a little longer, even though our friends parents had already driven all the way from Glendale to pick all of us up to go back home.

We stuck around the park until closing. When we tried to call my one friend's mom, we could not get through. We kept trying to call each of our families and could not figure out fo rhte life of us why we could not get a hold of any of our parents. We mainly spent the night wandering around (literally) the perimiter of Disneyland and the Disneyland Hotel.

Finally, around 6 am one of us had a brilliant thought, maybe we should try using the area code (I think that the 818 area had just been established, but my memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment). How stupid were we! Our parents came to get us and they were all soooo mad. Nobody believed us that we simply did not know that we were in a different area code and that we needed to dial the area code!

So that is my worst experience at Disneyland.

sleepyjeff
10-09-2003, 08:59 PM
June, this year, the week of the Pirates Premier: nuff said:mad:

CoasterMatt
10-09-2003, 09:04 PM
My worst experience would have to be when some of my family was visiting from Sweden, and insisted on going to Disneyland on a 4th of July. It was insanely crowded, and unusually hot - Some girl puked on my sister when we were waiting in line for Matterhorn, and Pirates and Mansion both brokedown for extended periods of time

Sophie832
10-09-2003, 09:21 PM
Since I have lots of friends there who come on a regular basis, all my really lousy times have been drama-related, instead of park-related.

However, whenever it's been really hot, and I've spent the whole day there for any reason, it's always been horrible just having to walk to the car at the end of the day.

MickeyD
10-09-2003, 09:27 PM
It was before I got my AP, I had just started working as a youth leader and took a large group of youth and chaperones to the park. We split up into smaller groups of teens with one chaperone each. I gave everyone a time around noon that they had to come check in with me at the hub. All but one group showed up. My then boyfriend and I waited for almost two hours for them to show up. Then we went to City Hall to find out if something happened to them, went back to the hub to wait some more....ended up spending most of the afternoon trying to find them. Turns out the chaperone just decided to blow off the check in time :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

So now, whenever my group is supposed to check in with me somewhere, after ten minutes I charge them a dollar a minute for every minute I have to wait. It works like a charm, I've never had to collect.

Pat-n-Eil
10-09-2003, 10:11 PM
We enjoy Disneyland so much, but the first time we went - my daughter got sick. I think it was too much sun exposure. Her head was pounding when the Fireworks started and she just cried and cried.. so we left.

The next morning we went to eat at the Monorail Cafe and the poor thing was still down. Fortunately, this was only 1 day of our 4 day trip.

Unfortunately, a couple of years later, all of the walking around (and perhaps Space Mountain) contributed to my wife's back going out. That was a real bummer. She had to go back to the room and she was down for the rest of that day - and the next. She's a real trooper, and tried to be a good sport but we all knew she wasn't feeling right....

And if mama ain't happy - nobody's happy..

Largent81
10-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Summer of 2002, I was 4 months pregnant and had this wonderful idea to go to Disneyland.

Matt, Jeff (then 17 months old) and my parents accompanied me. It was Jeff's first time. The first half of the day was so much fun. 3:00 hit and I wanted to die. The heat had gotten to me, my ankles were swollen more than they had ever been, and I could no longer stand. It was torture trying to get back to the car. Matt carried me part of the way, but not long because I found it humiliating. I had never left the park before 6 pm before, but we were drove out of the parking lot at 5:45.

tjrj
10-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by MickeyD

So now, whenever my group is supposed to check in with me somewhere, after ten minutes I charge them a dollar a minute for every minute I have to wait. It works like a charm, I've never had to collect.

That is simply a BRILLANT idea! Wish I had thought of it when I was a youth group leader myself.

My worst day at DL? December 2001-fully dislocated my knee getting into the Roger Rabbit ride. Paramedics had to come, ER visit, painkiller shot when they put it back in(wait, no, LIKED the painkiller:D :p ) And, no, despite urgings from others I didn't sue. Spent the rest of the visit, in pain, on painkillers-but seeing the Park decked out for Christmas was still magical.

ESS Heckler
10-10-2003, 08:39 AM
It's July, 1970, I'm 7 years old (OK - do the math!)

My family is visiting from Montana. We're in San Bernardino for some 'quality time' with extended family. For some reason my grandmother, in her late 60's at the time, decides to take ALL 8 grandchildren to DL for the day, by herself. The group includes children as young as 4 and my severly retarded, severely hyper-active 15 year old cousin.

We are jammed into grandma's station wagon for the 2 hour journey. I have the very back seat - the one that faces backwards. One of my most vivid memories is of my grandmother missing the exit off the freeway and backing up, in the traffic, cars swerving and whizzing by, horns blaring, so she can take the exit she wanted.

It was hot, it was crowded, we were poor. We had no money for sodas ("use the water fountain" - I was too short and the water was hot a tasted gross anyway) or food (grandma had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and graham crackers in her purse - you can imagine how appetizing those looked) or souvenirs of any kind. How I wanted a balloon or one of those huge suckers from the candy store on Main Street.

The icing on the cake - I lost my ticket book. Yes, back in the days when they still had ticket books. I don't think I got to go on one E ticket ride. I had to sit and wait with my grandmother and my hyperactive cousin while the others went on all the rides.

From that day on, I swore that when I went to Disneyland as a grown-up, I would buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and if I ever saw a kid who had lost her ticket book, I would buy her a new one.

For the most part, this is what I do now, more than 30 years later. I stay at the DLH (or GCH), I eat in the park. I buy pins and give them to liitle kids I meet in line - just cuz I still remember being that miserable little 7 year old.

ZipadeedooDave
10-10-2003, 08:50 AM
That's really commendable.....you're a good person.
May God richly bless you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:D

ESS Heckler
10-10-2003, 09:36 AM
I think you missed the point of my entry into your thread - DL is supposed to the Happiest Place on Earth! I truly believe that it is. I don't want to be 'richly rewarded' - I just like seeing little kids in DL having a good time.

Pirate Girl
10-10-2003, 09:47 AM
The worst time (in fact the only bad time) was August of 1995. My family had gone on a day when the crowds were predicted to be lower. Unfortunatly, it was almost 100 degrees that day. My whole family ended up in First Aid with heat stroke. The DL Nurses were very helpful though. And we didn't sue.

Pirate Girl
10-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by tjrj
That is simply a BRILLANT idea! Wish I had thought of it when I was a youth group leader myself.

My worst day at DL? December 2001-fully dislocated my knee getting into the Roger Rabbit ride. Paramedics had to come, ER visit, painkiller shot when they put it back in(wait, no, LIKED the painkiller:D :p ) And, no, despite urgings from others I didn't sue. Spent the rest of the visit, in pain, on painkillers-but seeing the Park decked out for Christmas was still magical.

Awww. You got painkillers? I dislocated my knee jumping into a pool and there was no pain killer involved when the popped it back in place. No fair. However, two surgeries later I qualify for a Special Assistance Pass. So I guess thats a perk. :|

ZipadeedooDave
10-10-2003, 10:28 AM
I have used the SAP, as it is called by some. Believe it or not, I have OCD/Anxiety Disorder. I was medicated for it for about two years....
I went to City Hall and told them my situation and they said I would qualify for use of the SAP.

I know that many 'teen's' misuse/abuse this accomodating pass....and I felt quite guilty for awhile using it.....but now, I only use it if it's really crowded at the park....otherwise, my wife and I just hang out in line.

GreatWhiteShark
10-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Has anyone every gone with that person or group of people that just don't really care for DL?

Well unfortunately earlier this summer I had that experience. Their was 5 of us, 3 love DL and the other two could take it or leave it. Well the whole day with them was like pulling teeth. They never smiled, never laughed and complained about everything.
So the whole time I was with them I had this one thought. Why did they come to DL? At least it was there own money down the drain.:) So about 5pm they got a call on there cell for a Party to go to and they left and decided to go to that. Thank god!
So from that time on the day got much better.

Since then I have come to the conclusion that their are people that you just don't go to DL with. So if you dislike DL then I would refuse to go spend the day there with you.
However I would go with someone who has never been and has no opinion yet.

I don't care if people don't like DL, but if you are going to go, then make an effort to try and enjoy yourself, otherwise don't go.

Gemini Cricket
10-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Last year, the day after Xmas. Yuk!
:(

But even the worst day at DL for me is really not all that bad...

Anthony
10-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ZipadeedooDave

As we walked toward the Plaza/Hub, the MOM fell off of the curb and ended up breaking both of her ankles, her hip and tailbone.

I thought Disney took good care of the MOM and the rest of us....they offered her a settlement very soon after the accident and gave the entire group plus one complimentary tickets for a later date, should we wish to return.

the Mom did sue, but she lost the case, from what I understand....

Anyway, that was the 'worst day' I ever spent at Disneyland.
: [/B]

Ok, I hope I am not too far off topic, but I am perplexed as to why she would sue??? Unless my reading skills are failing me, SHE was walking, SHE tripped, and sadly-SHE broke some bones. That is bad luck, and I really hope she healed up quickly, but why in the heck would she sue? I am glad she lost her lawsuit- that gives me hope in the civil courts of California.

Best Regards

katiesue
10-10-2003, 02:02 PM
When my daughter was about two were were waiting for the train at the tomorrowland station. She somehow got her head stuck in the fencing. I don't know how she did it but we couldn't get her out.

Nurses came, mantinence came. Someone ran and got her a little Minnie to hold onto. Finally they got some bolt cutters and got her out (they thought they might have to use a welder - thank goodness the bolt cutters worked).

It was really hot and she was stuck for about 20 minutes - her Dad was practically hysterical which didn't help.

They took her to first aid to make sure she was ok. They gave us some special passes so we could go to the front of the lines but she'd already had such a long day we just went home.

Now that she's 7 she thinks it's so funny to show people where her head was stuck at Disneyland. She of course doesn't remember a thing but she still has her special Minnie.

ZipadeedooDave
10-10-2003, 02:10 PM
I agree with you. Disney offered a generous settlement, but she sought to sue. I was really hard pressed about this because I was going to have to testify and I didn't believe it was Disney's fault, nor did I think it was my Friends Mom's fault. I think it was just an unfortunate circumstance....and my Friends Mom was the victim....but I don't believe it was Disney's fault at all.

In the curb, there was a crack and some loosed away cement...and they tried to say that is where she fell, but that is in fact not...we were heading directly for the hub from the castle and trying to avoid a parade and that piece of cement that was missing was right in the direction of the parade, which would negate the idea of 'avoiding the parade' - -you know?

I had to be summonsed and I gave a testimony and so forth and so on......and I was really scared that my truth was going to (1) Blow their case and (2) Blow our friendship....and I didn't want to do that.....because I honestly believe it was not Disney's fault...and I think their near $10K settlement was good....and they came to that w/i 2 weeks after the accident.

I prayed about this a lot....and luckily, at the choosing of the lawyers, they elected NOT to use my testimony......and while they still lost, it wasn't by my doing and I still have them as friends!

So, I win, I guess.

Anthony
10-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Dave,

Geesh, that is a tought situation, what a pickle you were in! I just get frustrated sometimes when people are 'Sue happy" especially when we complain about the prices of DLR, which are directly affected by lawsuits.

Anyway, I am glad it worked out for you!

Good times.