PDA

View Full Version : Gone To Disneyland Alone?

Pages : [1] 2

ZipadeedooDave
10-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Have you ever gone to Disneyland by yourself - no one but you? What was it like? What did you do? Would you do it again?

cemeinke
10-09-2003, 09:39 AM
All the time.
Yes.
Fun.
Yes.

ZipadeedooDave
10-09-2003, 09:43 AM
I had some meetings to go to on the morning of 9/26, so I wasn't in the office. After the last meeting @ 11:30am, I decided to go to Disneyland, since i was just down the street on Harbor and Broadway.

I had Plaza Inn for lunch and went on Matterhorn, Small World and the Disneyland Railroad....and I had a snickerdoodle from Market House and brought a dill pickle home for my wife.

I'd do it again, if the time came up and I was able too. I've done it many other times....it's nice. I can take it all in my own stride that way....

millionairegirl
10-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Just a couple of times and not for the full day. I had fun, but felt a little self conscious about it. Especially when the driver on the raft to tom sawyer's island asked me where my family was. I'm going to assume he was hitting on me, but it was kind of embarassing. And my biggest fear is getting into the hotseat and saying no one was there with me. Yeah, I know it's a silly fear.

Finances prohibited it, but I was toying with the idea of going to WDW by myself in December for 5 days. I think it would have been a blast, but I also think I would have gotten lonely after awhile. But imagine, being able to leave for the parks when YOU wanted, and being able to go on whatever rides YOU wanted. Ah, paradise!

ZipadeedooDave
10-09-2003, 09:54 AM
I agree, millionairegirl.

A couple of years ago, I went to Disneyland by myself early on a Saturday morning. It was really nice.....it was late June....so it was nice and the sun was buring off the morning June Gloom....and I went around and shot pictures.....went up to the Walt Disney Gallery and from there, it's view was just fabulous....it's no wonder Walt was going to make it an apartment for himself. I stood there on the terrace (where they have dessert for the Fantasmic Dessert thing) and the people roamed New Orleans Square, the Mark Twain was going, canoe's moved through the waters at Rivers of America...it was picturesque, to say the least.

If I had someone with me, I might not have been able to 'have that moment" you know? So, I like those 'alone times' a lot.

SzczerbiakManiac
10-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Like everything else in my life, I have gone to Disneyland alone many times. It's nice because you can do what you want to do when you want to do it. You can even get onto some rides faster.

Even if you're not a loner/loser like me, I think everyone should experience Disneyland solo at least once in their life.

stagedoorjonny
10-09-2003, 10:22 AM
I go by myself most of the time. My days off are mostly weekdays when all my friends are working, so I go alone. I agree with ZipadeedooDave and the the moments you can have when you are alone.

cstephens
10-09-2003, 11:11 AM
I used to go alone all the time, when I first got my AP, before I found a bunch of people who liked going all the time as well. :)

But, it's pretty rare nowadays that I'm there alone, maybe once or twice a year, and even then, I will sometimes run into someone I know.

I do like being there by myself because I can decide on a whim what I want to do, and while my husband and friends are pretty accommodating about something I might want to do, it's nice to not feel like you're dragging anyone else to do anything, even if they're agreeing to go.

DJ_MENTOS
10-09-2003, 11:14 AM
I have gone many times by myself. I do things, like Millionaire, Aladdin, Roller Coaster, Jungle Cruise etc. A lot of times I will take something to study and either go up to the gallery in the little courtyard, or go on the Mark Twain. I just found a new place to study the other day, Tom Sawyer Island. There are some nice quiet places there.
I agree with everyone else that you can do what you want to do when you want to do it.

Here is my psychological babble:
Being at D-Land by yourself, in my opinion also shows that you dont have a lot of problems or conflicts in your life. When people for the most part, have big problems in their life, they always want to fill their lives with something all the time. So being alone is not what they want to do, because it makes them think and dwell on all of their problems. So most people that go to D-Land by themselves (in my opinion) are at peace with themselves.

Mukta
10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
I go by myself once a week. I rarely go with people anymore. Although I do sometimes feel self-concious saying "one", I enjoy the privacy and freedom.

I usually arrive around 6 pm on weekdays, so I go on a few rides and then sit at the main street cinema until 8:30 or so. I ride Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise, Star Tours, and occassionally the fantasyland rides. I try to do different rides each week.

I usually don't eat there, but if I do I eat at the Tomorrowland Terrace.

disneyboy7
10-09-2003, 12:22 PM
I actually prefer to go alone. It's like shopping. I can go on an attraction when I want, as many times as I want and not have to go on the little kid rides. I can also shop when I want or go back to my room to change for the evening, etc. Other people start talking to me so I don't feel alone. I used to work in retail and look at people in the eyes - I always seem approachable. I equate it going skiing by myself - none of my friends ski. I'll be going alone on the 20th and 21st, but my dog will be nearby in the kennel.

Captain Josh
10-09-2003, 01:01 PM
I love flying solo, but after a while, you begin to miss things.

...next thing you know, you've squeezed between groups of friends who are strangers at the Hub, waiting for Believe....and suddenly, your life, your existence is just....bleh.

Dlandmom
10-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
All the time.
Yes.
Fun.
Yes.

Ditto.

Pirate Girl
10-09-2003, 01:19 PM
It's so much fun! You get into the greatest conversations with CM's. You'd think no one had every been at DL by themselves before. Ride the train. The conductors are great to chat with!

Pirate Girl
10-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by disneyboy7
I actually prefer to go alone. It's like shopping. I can go on an attraction when I want, as many times as I want and not have to go on the little kid rides.

Just think of it as single riding everything. :fez:

Disneyphile
10-09-2003, 01:23 PM
I go alone quite frequently, and actually love it. (Although I like hanging with friends too.) I'm quite comfortable being by myself, so I never think twice about it.

And sometimes, I get people talking to me about being alone, the funniest and most recent being this lady and her daughter who sat next to me on the DLRR. Here's the recap:

Lady: Did you come here alone?
Me: Yep.
Lady: Why?
Me: Because I like to and I can.
Lady: Don't you have kids?
Me: Nope.
Lady: Are you married?
Lady: Boyfriend?
Lady: You're a smart, smart woman.

:D

Pirate Girl
10-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
I go alone quite frequently, and actually love it. (Although I like hanging with friends too.) I'm quite comfortable being by myself, so I never think twice about it.

And sometimes, I get people talking to me about being alone, the funniest and most recent being this lady and her daughter who sat next to me on the DLRR. Here's the recap:

Lady: Did you come here alone?
Me: Yep.
Lady: Why?
Me: Because I like to and I can.
Lady: Don't you have kids?
Lady: Are you married?
Lady: Boyfriend?
Lady: You're a smart, smart woman.

:D

Oh the conversations when you go to Disneyland Solo.

BELLEH5
10-09-2003, 02:30 PM
I love going to dISNEYLAND by myself it's soooo much FUN!!
No one to follow u around or say "i don't wanna shop" or "i don't wanna go IASW 100 times". I go by myself every time I head to Anaheim from NORCAL., and besides I always end up fighting with whoever I take there.

PumbaaMan
10-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Since I'm the last of my friends that still has an AP I tend to go by myself. It's really alot of fun I find a nice shady spot, buy a Mint Julip and some popcorn and people watch. The last time I did this I saw Christina Aguilera. I also agree with others in that there is no one whine about doing things you've done a number of times before. Some of my friends think I have issues since I go so many times alone but I just tell them it's my escape from the pressures of life and I'm able to relax and regain control of all the craziness of my life......... :cool:

disneyfreak168
10-09-2003, 02:58 PM
eh I've never been to the park by myself...(hmm maybe because my parents are um...overprotective !) ugh, but I want to though...I've never even gone on SRL for any of the attractions...I don't even know HOW to use SRL!

LSPoorEeyorick
10-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Half the time going with friends/CM friends/visiting family, half the time going solo.

I had to initially get over the blush that invariably pinked my cheeks when I had to say "one, please," to the Pinocchio CM, but once I'd conquered that, I learned to love the people-watching, people-meeting, and not-having-to-be-people-dealing that comes with time alone in the park.

SczerbiakManiac, don't call yourself a loner/loser! There are many of us that scope the park alone.

cryan71
10-09-2003, 03:16 PM
If you go alone, you will never want to go with anyone again.

Benefits:

1) No more going on rides that you have been on a thousand times.

2) No more listening to the whining how a certain ride (like dumbo) is for children.

3) No more going to places to eat that you don't like (blue bayou comes to mind)

4) You can watch outdoor music/atmosphere entertainment that you want to watch.

5) No more waiting for people at the restrooms or shops.

6) No more silly conversations about nothing while waiting in line.

7) Single Rider Lines

8) Easier to meet people

9) You can do things on a whim- like go see a concert at House of Blues

10) ESPN Zone - nuff said.

katiesue
10-09-2003, 03:28 PM
I go by myself all the time. My daughter is the world's biggest chicken (won't even try Peter Pan) so when I'm by myself I can go on all the big rides. And I don't have to hit the Tiki Room or Small World once if I don't want to (those are her favorites).

I can also just shop or sit and people watch. It's great.

SzczerbiakManiac
10-09-2003, 03:48 PM
LSPoorEeyorick wrote:
SczerbiakManiac, don't call yourself a loner/loser! There are many of us that scope the park alone.Just to clairify, I'm not a loner/loser because I go to the park alone. I'm a loner/loser who just so happens to go to the park alone.

TruCinderella
10-09-2003, 04:01 PM
I went once, my bro was working and i dropped him off, and went into the park to hang while he worked. So i was alone, and it was not fun. I hated answering 1 when was asked how many. I was fine until I went on Mr Toads, i went past a mirror and saw myself sitting in the car alone, i felt so ridiculous that i left the park. lol its true everyone should experience disney once, but once is enough for me :)