PDA

View Full Version : new attraction merch - not what it seemed?

olegc
08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
I really liked a lot of the new attraction-based merchandise that has been coming to Disneyland the last few months. I received a pirates/railroad coffee mug and a jungle cruise/tiki room mug for my birthday in July. The artwork looked very detailed and great - and I wondered how they they got it so good. Well, now I know. The image is really a decal that has been glued on and then either coated or some other process was used to cover the surface. The bottom edge of the decal is starting to peel on both mugs - most like from interacting with other items in the dishwasher. I thought these would be OK in the dishwasher - but I guess not.

So - my friends - check your merch and be careful. I guess that's one way to get some great detail on merch - print it on paper and glue it on.

AVP
08-11-2014, 10:31 PM
The image is really a decal that has been glued on and then either coated or some other process was used to cover the surface. This is an extremely common technique in producing decorated ceramic items. You might be surprised to know how many high-end collectibles are made this way. Unless it says "dishwasher safe," I always hand wash anything like that.

AVP

olegc
08-11-2014, 11:03 PM
This is an extremely common technique in producing decorated ceramic items. You might be surprised to know how many high-end collectibles are made this way. Unless it says "dishwasher safe," I always hand wash anything like that.

AVP

i guess I would rather "dishwasher safe" be the norm and "hand wash" be labeled. It was not even soap or anything that made the label peel. and not really thinking a coffee mug falls close to any high end collectible but I get your point. I already know not to put melamine items into the microwave (and they may get brittle with repeated washings, right?).

candles71
08-12-2014, 07:46 AM
We handwash all of our photomugs for just this reason. I purchased some glass Avenger tumblers, for B, at Target, andd the young guy who checked me out told me not to put them in even though they said dishwasher safe. His roommate had put one of his in while he was gone and the emblem peeled right off.

goalieump413
08-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Maybe Disney Parks thought people wouldn't actually want to enjoy drinking a cup of jo from one of their collectibles, but it does happen. My wife bought me one of the Tigger mugs last spring, at it's undergone a war in the dishwasher so far, and come out unscathed. But yeah, anything that looks like an applique should be handwashed. Where's the quality control, Disney?