PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Question of the Week - when to dine at Ariel's Grotto

AVP
08-10-2014, 03:41 PM
MousePlanet reader Nicki M posted this question on our Facebook page yesterday, and I'm cross-posting it here because it has a much better chance of being seen here than on FB. (It's just the way FB works - posts to pages are usually only ever seen by the page admins.)

Hey parents with two year olds! We are planning on a character dinner at Ariel's Grotto, when is the best time of day to go? I've never been to AG, so I don't know if there's a better time to go when it's less crowded for a little one, or is it always busy? Were going mid September, TouringPlans says it'll be a one on the crowd scale every day we are there, so I'm not super worried about that. Thanks a ton!

Any suggestions - better times to go, or times to avoid?

Adrienne

currence
08-10-2014, 05:26 PM
The way Ariel's Grotto works is that they do the seating in waves. This is so that everyone can take their picture with Ariel and be seated, then the princesses start coming out and going to all the tables. The princesses leave, the tables are cleared and reset, and they start over. Last time we were there, it seemed like inside and outside were on different waves, so that they were seating the outside parties while the inside groups were finishing up their meals.

The princesses to try to hit all of the tables, though on our last trip one of the princesses skipped us because she couldn't get to us due to the very large group still taking pictures with a different princess. She forgot to come back to us but when I saw her leaving the area completely, I spoke to a server who hurried back and she came out very shortly for a picture with my princess before heading back off stage.

With two year olds, I think you would be better off scheduling it when they will be on their best behavior than when it is "best" for the meal. If they always nap around the same time, I would be tempted to schedule it shortly after nap time ends so that they will be fresh and rested. Alternatively, if they normally eat lunch around a certain time and are prone to meltdown if that is interrupted, I would schedule it for 30-45 minutes before feeding time so that you can check in, take the picture, and be at your table with at least appetizers at around the regular time.

Finally, when you say "character dinner" I assume that you mean the dinner that is lunch time, rather than the dinner that is the last meal of the day, since there are no princesses at dinner service - though if you want dinner you can check to see when lunch service ends, you might be able to swing and early dinner if you had the last scheduled lunch seating.

Tinker44
08-11-2014, 09:30 AM
One thing that could make your decision for you is the menu. That was the case for my own family and at least 2 others that I know of. My kids wouldn't really enjoy the luncheon options, so breakfast became the only choice we had. It's fancier food, for sure. You are paying for the experience... just remember that.

And also, if you don't already have it/know about it... please look into the PhotoPass Plus offering. http://www.disneyphotopass.com/specialoffers/dlrppp.htm You do need to preorder to get the best value, but included in that deal is the photo package at Character Dining locations FREE (I think they are regularly $30+). If you think that over the course of your stay that you will visit with lots of characters then this product is a must-have. For families that either don't do character photos, character dining and on-ride photos, it is probably not worth the cost. But do check it out... it has become a MUST-HAVE for our trips (and 2 wings of our extended family as well)

Good luck!

smallnaprider
08-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Hey - My husband and I took my sister's family with her 2 girls when they were 3 and 5. With the 3 year old, she was entranced by Belle when she came to the table and it is one of the best pictures I have ever seen that we took. We planned the time around the naps, so they wouldn't be cranky. I think they only do the princess LUNCH now, cause the dinner is for World of Color. So call Disney dining or go online and make reservations (VERY important!). The princesses (Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella, Belle) all come to your table and stay as long as you want. Also, when you come in and go downstairs, Ariel is there for pictures. THey take one, but I recommend you taking one too. We've never bought theirs. It is wonderful. Check the menu online too. With a reservation, it doesn't matter, and it is sit down with table service so being busy is OK. Sounds like a great month to go!
As far as the park in general, the 3 year old fell asleep at one point and we just walked around the park with her in the stroller. We stayed in the resort (makes all the trips back and forth SO much easier and they have pac n plays in the rooms!!

Koala Gurl
08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Great advice. And the 2 year old eats free (at least they did last time I was there.)

3Princesses1Prince
08-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Great advice. And the 2 year old eats free (at least they did last time I was there.)

Still do