PDA

View Full Version : May Rocket Rods be returning with banks?

Disneyfreak
10-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Did anyone maybe conceive that just maybe the management is bringing back rocket rods in secret? They still list it as the queue for rocket rods! Why would they keep that title. I hope im right about this. Im not keeping my hopes up though. What do you think about this statement?:)

Freerider127
10-08-2003, 06:45 PM
I really dont know if they will ever bring it back. I think rocket rods was pretty cool if they could just improve it and fix the flaws it would be great. It seems pretty stupid for them to spend the money for rocket rods and have it go to waste, hopefully someday maybe for the 50th highly doubt it though they will bring it back that would be pretty cool.

BJW
10-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Let's hope so. I loved this ride because the preshow reminded me of vintage Disneyland days and the takeoffs were a rush! Also, it leaves a bad vibe in the park to know that the fastest ride in the park was scrapped after only a year of operation. I believe David Koenig mentioned that all the cars were destroyed at a junkyard in LA somewhere except one that is being stored in the Hollywood & Dine building at DCA. With the money this company has you'd think they could easily rebuild them and make modifications to help the ride run better this time around. Also, wasn't the California Cruisin ride that got scrapped from DCA's original plans supposed to use the same ride system with 70's themed cars? (See www.condorflats.com for details, that's where I found out about it) Since the track is cracked in some places I suppose they would have to retrofit certain parts to be able to handle the weight. In my opinion it would seem more economical to keep the ride with modifications, considering the track and preshow are already in place. Tearing the track down would cost too much, keeping it with nothing on it makes Tomorrowland look even more empty than it already is. Also, I'm really not looking forward to a Buzz ride, we have an interactive dark ride at the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz and it gets stale after awhile. (Although it's pretty cool)

zapppop
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
The building was referred to as the " rocket rods queue " because that's what it was last known as. The building will be turned into a Buzz Lightyear ride by 2005. The rods were dismantled, and a new PeopleMover is in early planning stages (with no changes to the track) but at least 4 or 5 years away.

In other words, the Rocket Rods are not coming back.

Ghoulish Delight
10-08-2003, 07:46 PM
They will not be bringing back the Rocket Rods in any recognizeable form. The problems only began with the lack of banked turns. They continued with poorly programmed ride controls (an easy enough fix, in theory) and culminated with the unfortunate decission to run a high speed ride on racing slicks. The tires slipped in the rain (forcing the ride to slow down in the slightest of drizzles, leading to many run-ins with the buggy software) and they wore out so quickly (ever notice how often race car crews change tires?) that it was just costing a bundle.

To bring it back would require ripping it down and starting from scratch. And that would mean publicly admitting that they were wrong (not that shuttering it doesn't do the same, but it does so much more quietly and subtly). Not going to happen.

disneygeek87
10-08-2003, 07:47 PM
I'd love to see the Rocket Rods come back for the 50th or even sooner. I think they'd be much better than a rumored Buzz Lightyear ride. Even though I'd like them back, sadly, I don't think they'll be making their return.

CoasterMatt
10-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I've got SO many fond memories of returning to the station with smoke pouring from the back of the car, and the CMs asking if I'd like to ride again.

Not only was the track not ready to handle the weight of the Rocket Rods, the motors/transmissions of the Rods were not ready to handle all the sudden acceleration/decelerations. Then there was the stupid decision to go from side by side seating to an odd number of inline seats.

It's kind of like that line about a jackass being a horse built by committee...

oh, and if people are so keen for the return of Rocket Rods, you can easily out perform one by sitting in a shopping cart, turning on an electric toothbrush, and having a friend or two push you around for a bit... Chances are, your friends won't break down as often as the ride did.

Doodle Duck
10-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Ride a Motorcycle.

Disneyfreak
10-08-2003, 10:27 PM
I just loved that noise it made when it zoomed down the track, without it tomorrowland is boring. They could fix and redesign it if they wanted to, to fix all the defects with it. Maybe they could make it so that the tires have nothing to do with the ride operating, just make them spin making it seem like its doing that. I miss it so much.:(
How can you make a thrilling peoplemover anyway. I remember falling asleep on that ride cause it was so boring.:)
The only way I can see is making the car like an indy car where it can move like a sim and have excellent special effects. Thats the only idea I have that I think would work.:)
Butcha know that Disney is poor and they cant afford it.:rolleyes:

spectromen
10-09-2003, 07:26 AM
zapppop, how accurate is your information about Peoplemover coming back in 05-06? I would LOVE to see that happen with the existing track, and possibly the same system as Florida's TTC, no motors, just electric power quietly and efficiently powering the system. Since tearing out the tracks altogether would leave such a void, not to mention eliminate the great way the Peoplemover used to pass over and through so many attractions (albeit, some which are currently closed!), it seems the best fix with the least cash outlay.

zapppop
10-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by spectromen
zapppop, how accurate is your information about Peoplemover coming back in 05-06?
I didn't say it's coming in 2005 or 2006. I said it's still 4 or 5 years away. Supposedly it's 2008, when Tomorrowland gets a makeover, but the plans are far from solid at this point, so just take this w/a grain of salt.

dsnylndmom
10-09-2003, 12:54 PM
I would love to see the Peoplemover come back. It was one of my favorite rides to relax and people watch. In fact when I went to WDW in August the Peoplemover was the first thing I rode!

Pirate Girl
10-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
A new PeopleMover is in early planning stages.
Well at least they're doing something with the empty space. Personally, I loved the old people mover. If they did a good job with the new one, it could be a really great ride!

LSPoorEeyorick
10-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by disneygeek87
I'd love to see the Rocket Rods come back for the 50th or even sooner. I think they'd be much better than a rumored Buzz Lightyear ride. Even though I'd like them back, sadly, I don't think they'll be making their return.

Did you ride the comparable Buzz ride at WDW? When my family--all fifteen of us-- had our reunion in Orlando last summer, we all queued up to ride the Buzz ride together, despite some hesitancy from the grandparents. As it turns out, my fifty-eight-year-old mother adored it as much as my ten-year-old nephew. The concept of an interactive (read: "laser game") dark ride is quite a brilliant one, and I look forward to its incorporation at DL.

dsnylndmom
10-09-2003, 03:50 PM
I agree we had a blast on Buzz last August and the first thing my boys said getting off the ride was "Man I wish DL had one of these" followed quickly by "let's ride it again!" LOL Dh and I had a blast on it too of course he always beat me! :rolleyes:

CoasterMatt
10-09-2003, 03:58 PM
I probably would be more enthusiastic about Buzz's Cardboard Cutout Spin, if I hadn't already ridden Men In Black: Alien Attack (a true E-Ticket type attraction with light guns and better interactivity), or even several Sally Interactive Dark Rides.