PDA

View Full Version : A comforting thought about Disneyland

tracilicious
10-07-2003, 10:19 PM
I just got done watching my old "Day at Disneyland" video. DL used to be awesome. There was tons to do in tomorrowland! There were shows! And a barbecue! Characters were everywhere! Unfortunately, I have never been to Disneyland during those times. So here is my comforting thought:

It can't possibly get worse.

I mean, think about it. There is nothing to do in tomorrowland, there are basically no shows, loads of rides are down, even the shops and restaurants aren't open the entire time the park is open. Now they are listing Indy as an event?! There is no way the park can get any worse. Which means that each time I go to Disneyland, I will be going to a park that is (hopefully) getting better. If I love Disneyland this much now, then I will only love it more later. I went for the first time in 1999, and even then it was much better than it is now.

Please let Eisner get fired next month. (and please let someone better replace him!)

traci

CoasterMatt
10-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Believe me, having visited literally dozens of amusement parks across the country, it can get MUCH worse...

ZipadeedooDave
10-08-2003, 08:12 AM
I agree with you and the idea of Tomorrowland being a 'ghost town" as we refer to it.

My wife and I were watching some friends kids the other night. The youngest is 3 and he wanted to watch his Disneyland Sing A Long Video...so we watched it and he sat on my lap as we viewed.

I was noticing that the 'styles' of clothes were a bit dated....and then I looked at Tomorrowland and it was actually 'hopping' with energy...the People Mover was moving people, and there were Characters all over. Keep in mind, it's a video so Characters will be much more prevalent there.

At the end of the video, I saw that it was dated 1990 -- and it's amazing what has transpired over 13 years! Again, Tomorrowland is a ghost town....is that what Walt Disney saw for the future and for tomorrow? I think it's a poor testimony to the carrying out of Disney's dreams. I think if he were alive today, he'd be saddened by this.

I think Eisner needs to move on.....I think a Disney needs to be in charge....Roy Disney (he's chairman or something right now), who is Walt's nephew, or Diane Disney Miller, Walt's daughter.....let's get some Disney blood in our Disney leadership. Let's bring the "Disney" back to Disneyland!!!

PS: When Walt died, Diane Disney Miller's husband was one of the "hi ups" and after Eisner took over or whoever did right after Disney's death, Diane Disney Miller's husband was ousted...along with a few other Disney's.....that TOTALLY sucks.

tracilicious
10-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
Believe me, having visited literally dozens of amusement parks across the country, it can get MUCH worse...

i meant it can't get any worse while still retaining any aspecat of disney. the day disneyland becomes knottsbury farms is the day i stop going. let's hope that never happens.

wendybeth
10-08-2003, 09:30 AM
We first went to Disneyland in August 2001, right before the terrorist attacks. It was very hot and crowded but we had a great time. The park looked a little dingier than I thought it would, and we were a little disappointed with the lack of character/guest interaction, but all in all we had a good time. We went back last July, determined to have the full Disney immersion... We stayed four nights at the DLH, had breakfast at Goofy's, etc. The entire time we were at the hotel we did not see one character on the premises. We spent a lot of time roaming around and playing in the pool, so I don't think it was just bad timing. While we had fun, it was sad too. The monorail was constantly broke down, several big rides were under refurbishment (although nothing like this fall) and there was garbage everywhere- in the castle's moat, the smoking area's, the bathrooms, etc. We stayed home this year and went to a local theme park, but it still sucked in comparison to DL. So, hopefully they get a grip on things before next spring; we want to visit again but if things are like they are now I doubt we'll go. :mad:

DBJ
10-08-2003, 10:37 AM
If I was to travel to a Disney park in the next two years, I would choose WDW over DL. At least at WDW, they are adding new attractions in Epcot, AK, Studios, etc. Bizarre that by all appearances, it is WDW is creating more event level attractions than DL, despite the 50th anniversay of Disneyland approaching.

ZipadeedooDave
10-08-2003, 10:46 AM
I think if Walt could see that park today, I think he'd be sad. Yeah, it's a great place compared to the rest, but I know what you all are saying about the trash in the castle, the dinginess of certain areas...etc.

Walt wouldn't stand for it -- he created it!
However, I think Eisner really has something for the color green -- Money that is.

wendybeth
10-08-2003, 10:53 AM
I'd love to go to WDW but I really hate flying...We live about as far away from WDW as you can be in the continental U.S. and I would probably be in a straightjacket by the time we got there...lol. We were thinking about taking a train if we go to DL in the spring; we flew the first time, drove the second, so it would be kind of fun to try the train route. The only drawbacks are the length of time it takes and the departure and arrival times- both are very late at night. :eek:

dsnylndmom
10-08-2003, 12:09 PM
I'd love to go to WDW but I really hate flying...We live about as far away from WDW as you can be in the continental U.S. and I would probably be in a straightjacket by the time we got there...lol. One word for you Xanaxx! :D LOL I'm totally not kidding! I'd never taken a tranquilizer before(except while in the hospital, after giving birth etc)and I took them to help with the flights in August when we went to WDW. The first flight of 4(connecting flights in TX)was the worst. By the time we flew from Tx into Sacramento on the way home I was actually looking out the window!!! :eek: Never underestimate the power of drugs! (legal ones that is heehee :p )

wendybeth
10-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Dsnylndmom-
Actually, Xanax is what got me through the last flights I took to DL! The problem is now my kiddo more than myself- she saw the planes flying into the buildings on 9/11 and is now terrified of flying.... I could probably hold it together (with a little help from the X-man;) ) but my eight year old is having nothing to do with flying anywhere- even Disneyworld!:crying: So, it's a long car or train trip, and Disneyland is a whole lot closer than WDW. Maybe someday.... Of course, Xanax also helps with those long road trips and the constant "are we there yet?" :cool:

dsnylndmom
10-09-2003, 08:22 AM
I could probably hold it together (with a little help from the X-man ) OMG that made my morning, I"m ROTFLMAO, I have to use that one!!

My boys had never flown when we went to WDW and my 9 year old was soooooooo excited he loved every second of it. But when we were taking off it was my 4.5 year old that had us cracking up! First he was going "I gonna be sick I gonna be sick" LOL Then, he was sitting between me and my 9 year old and we were holding hands across his lap and he told us "hey guys move your hands your making my weenie hard" I bout died with laughter!

CoasterMatt
10-09-2003, 10:04 AM
I know I'm gonna catch hell for this one....

But at the present, Knott's Berry Farm offers a lot more value for the entry fee than Disneyland.

I'll definitely be renewing my Cedar Fair AP, but I can't be for sure if I'll renew my Disney AP. One of the keys for me is this; Disney doesn't give a damn about the opinions of it's AP holders, the survey takers see that white light on the turnstile, and you might as well not even exist.

tracilicious
10-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
I know I'm gonna catch hell for this one....

But at the present, Knott's Berry Farm offers a lot more value for the entry fee than Disneyland.

i'd have to agree with you. last time i was at universal their ap's were $6 more than a day pass. and they seem to have more to do than DL right now too.

CoasterMatt
10-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by tracilicious
last time i was at universal their ap's were $6 more than a day pass. and they seem to have more to do than DL right now too.

And their survey people actually try to find out how AP holders feel about the park...

sleepyjeff
10-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by DBJ
If I was to travel to a Disney park in the next two years, I would choose WDW over DL. At least at WDW, they are adding new attractions in Epcot, AK, Studios, etc. .

SHHHHHHHHH ...that is exactly what they hope you will do. Say instead that you will go to Tokyo.......they don't want to hear that;)