PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "eats" @ Disneyland/DCA

Pages : [1] 2 3

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok everyone, here's my next question:

What are your favorite restaurants and things to eat at Disneyland/DCA?

My wife and I love "Blue Bayou". We are so stuck on Montecristo Sandwiches. I love "The Plaza Inn" on Main Street.....my wife likes it too.

Dole Whip's at the gate to Adventureland are so tasty too.....

In DCA, they little place next to California Screamin' that sells chicken strips and mozzarella sticks and sliced apples with caramel is great!

Any others???

Nephythys
10-07-2003, 09:03 AM
I love the mote cristo's at BB as well. I never seem to get anything else because I know I won't have a chance to eat another BB mote cristo for a long time.

I love breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace, and I like Club Buzz too.

Over at DCA I love the icecream stand on Paradise Pier, but can't for the life of me remember the name......I love the bread bowls with soup, and I really enjoyed Ariel's Grotto.

Oh, and we loved the food at Goofy's Kitchen too.:D

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I agree.

Food at The French Market isn't bad. In fact, we had lunch there once and they had this "beef sandwich" that was really really tasty!

Bengal Barbecue is good....but more of like 'snack food' because I can't imagine a skewer of chicken being enough for a meal, you know?

River Belle Terrace breakfasts are good, I agree.

Village Haus used to have chili beans.....those were good....I think it was called Geppetto's then, wasn't it???

Nephythys
10-07-2003, 09:28 AM
To be honest I don't know. I know that Ariels Grotto used to be Wolfgang Pucks place, it was called umm......Avalon Cove.

I actually have promised myself to expand my culinary experience next time I am out there. I tend to find myself at the same places all the time.

Because of my kids we are big fans of the carts. They love things like the frozen lemonades and the snack type foods.

The first place they ate at DL was the Coke corner. Hotdogs and pretzels!

:D

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 09:37 AM
When we were kids, we always ate at The Hungry Bear in Bear Country (later Critter Country). My parents liked the outside atmosphere.

All I really ever knew was that place...and the snack carts...but back when I was a kid, they didn't have annual passes, so we went like 2 times a year and we always ate there.

Now that I am an annual passholder, my wife and I like to try new things, etc. I haven't eaten at Hungry Bear in like 10 years....AHHAHH.

Over at French Market there are these things that are flat and hard....they are a dessert and pretty tasty if I might add.

Oh you know what are a complete mess??? Go to the Jazz Kitchen, the little one next to the big restaurant in Downtown Disney.....they have begniets ( I don't know if I spelled that right) and anyway, these things are tasty.....but SOOOOOOOOO messy. They are full of powdered sugar....and the day i had them, in July, there was no seating outside the place....so I had to stand and eat them and it was an mess indeed. Not sure when I'll be brave enough to ever have those again. They shoud offer bibs.

Nephythys
10-07-2003, 09:50 AM
I remember eating at the Country Bear show! I was little, so it is a vague memory.

In 2001 our first day there, we were so busy going on the rides that we did not eat until 1 in the afternoon, and we got there before 8am! (during those early entry days) I had not been there for almost 15 years and it was my kids first time, so we were running ourselves ragged! Food was the last thing on our mind.

I wanted to try the honey popcorn this year, but never got to it.

disneyboy7
10-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Can you still get a chocolate covered frozen banana from a cart? That's the first thing I ate one time that my grandmother took me to DL. Now I have to get one everytime I go.

millionairegirl
10-07-2003, 10:01 AM
You know I never understand why Disneyland gets such a bad wrap for it's food. I think most of it is great, and considering the portions are so large you can share, it isn't terribly over-priced.

Food
Favorites:
Clam chowder in a bread boule
The chicken apple salad in a bread boule-Mmm tasty!
Every chocolate cake in the park, but most of all the bundt cake from Plaza Inn
The pasta and meat sauce at Plaza Inn, although it does of plenty of naysayers, I like it (I usually get the childs portion, it's the perfect size!)
Fried chicken
Turkey legs
Fantasia Ice Cream

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 10:01 AM
I totally know what you mean.
Yes, from what I saw the other day, you can still get them from the Frozen Banana's from the cart.

It's good to have those little traditions!

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 10:13 AM
I agree with you totally.
I think Plaza Inn is great...and I agree...the desserts are great too!
I think the problem is that too many people don't know where to go. Frankly, I would agree, an old burger from Country Bear might not be to appetizing at all.....but if they had the pasta at Plaza Inn they'd change their mind.
I think if you just hunt around, you'll find good stuff. If you want something quick, go get a corndog by Plaza Inn or to the Stage Door in Frontierland next to the Golden Horseshoe.

katiesue
10-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Bengal BBQ
Chocolate Covered Strawberries

tjrj
10-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Hmmm. clam chowder in a bread bowl in NOS(just as good if not better-at Pacific Wharf now). Pork loin at BB. Peanutbutter fudge-Main St. Yum! Oh, it should be time again soon for Peanut Butter fudge-anyone up for shipping:D -jk

Nephythys
10-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Oh yes, I had a teriyaki burger with swiss at the Stage Door. It was SO good!:D

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Bakery used to have these little Bundt cakes that my friend Dan and I used to love. It would be funny....he and I would be in line....getting all the fattening stuff to eat and his wife and my wife (who are first cousins) would stand out of line waiting for us as we set our eyes on the dessert of our immediate desire!

Yummy!

Anthony
10-07-2003, 11:28 AM
This is so cool, I love hearing what you guys like!

If I may add a question, has anyone tried the Fantasmic dessert buffet? What kind of stuff do they have there? I am going in towards the end of October and got reservations, but I am not sure what is offered? Should I have dinner prior to the show, or is that a bad idea?

Thanks!

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 11:36 AM
I don't know what is included in the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet, to be honest. Actually, I saw Fantasmic in 1993 and then I didn't see it again until, gosh, I think it was in June 2003 -- so 10 years later. We always used the "show" as a way to have some of the lines in the good rides get diminished and then we would hit Splash or Thunder Mtn or Indy or whatever.

I was with a group on Friday Night -- we met there after work -- and they wanted to see Fantasmic....and frankly, I had forgotten what a great show it was.....

As far as the dessert buffet goes, which is your original question, i don't know.....you might want to go a bit early and eat.....it's your choice.

You might email Disneyland Resort and ask them for the portion size etc.

I hope this is helpful.....as I don't feel too helpful.....oh well. Have fun anyway. :D

Grandbreaker
10-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Backstage would be the Bungalow at GCH. Onstage Whitewater snacks

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Aha!
A Cast Member. Interesting.....is the food backstage better than the food 'on stage'?

CarlieB
10-07-2003, 12:01 PM
In DL I like:

Churros! Especially in the evening, as a dessert....
Cheeseburgers at the Golden Horseshoe
Watermelon from one of the carts
Rancho del Zocalo
I hvaen't been to the BB yet, but I really want to try the Monte Cristo this time round...

Haven't eaten much in DCA, but I'm looking forward to trying Taste Pilots Grill. Wasn't very impressed with Ariel's Grotto last time.

In DTD:

The Uva Bar - yummy snacks, nice (but expensive drinks)
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen - fantastic food, good for a nice dinner out:)

ZipadeedooDave
10-07-2003, 12:12 PM
I might add that The Blue Bayou only serves the Montecristo Sandwich during lunchtime and up to 345pm. Also, you might want to call Disneyland Resort and get the number for Disney Dining and put your reservation in the day before or early that morning....it's really easy and saves lots of time.

Hope you have fun!

mamabot
10-07-2003, 01:34 PM
If I only had to pick one thing, it would have to be the popcorn! I think I could survive an entire day at DL just eating popcorn.

My brothers & I used to save a little bit of our spending money so we could buy pineapple juice.

Our favorite restaurant is Carnation Cafe. My favorite is the steak sandwich. And they keep refilling your drinks throughout the meal.

The burgers we had at Tomorrowland Terrace last Saturday were better then in the past, total surprise there. Not to say they were good, there were just not so inedible as they have been in the past.

Kevy Baby
10-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Anthony
If I may add a question, has anyone tried the Fantasmic dessert buffet? What kind of stuff do they have there? I am going in towards the end of October and got reservations, but I am not sure what is offered? Should I have dinner prior to the show, or is that a bad idea? I assume that you are referring to sitting on the balcony of the Disney Gallery for the show? Although it has been a couple of years since I did that, did they change their policy? It used to be that you could only get "tickets" for that at Customer Relations on the day of (and usually required a VERY early arrival to get in line - like 4:00 a.m.). Is it possible to get reservations in some other way now? And how much is it these days?

But to answer your question (assuming things haven't changed since we went), I would still suggest dinner beforehand. The "all you can eat" desserts (small pieces of cakes, tarts, etc.) are VERY yummy but VERY rich. I wouldn't want to make a meal of just the desserts, otherwise, you may be performing every part in the Fantasmic Show by yourself! But definitely leave a lot of room for desserts - they are heavenly (from Club 33).

BTW: while this is a great EXPERIENCE - it is not, IMHO, the best way to see the Fantasmic Show. While I totally enjoyed the experience of being on the balcony and would do it again, I think the Show is better experienced by immersion: being down much closer to the ROA. While it is nice to have a place to sit that you don't have to wait for, a little of the impact of the show is lost up there. Sorta like sitting in the seats at the old Hunchback Show - you get to "see" the show, but it is a much better experience in the middle of things.

MissLemon
10-07-2003, 02:03 PM
I love the specialty items - has anyone seen any fall or holiday themed munchies out yet?

DivaPrincess
10-07-2003, 02:11 PM
I really like Strips, Dips and Chips at DCA. My hubby and I share chicken fingers and mozzerella strips. Extra dipping sauces are only like $.35, btw.

I also love the Cream Cheese Stuffed Pretzels from the carts. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I know you'll all laugh, but I really like the cheeseburgers in DL. I guess they are tradition.

I'm dying to try the soup bowls and a Monte Cristo. Our budget never allows for the BB, though. Maybe now that we have passes...

Kevy Baby
10-07-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. But IMHO, the very best place to eat at DL is Club 33. But since that is a membership only place (we've been on the waiting list for two years now!), it probably doesn't apply here.

Inside DL, my favorite place is R2P2 (AKA Red Rocket's Pizza Port).

My favorite quick meal is the corndogs next to Plaza Inn (big ol' honkin' suckers!). (I always like it when you get to the window and they ask you WHAT you want: there's only one thing on the menu!)

Favorite dessert is the Apple Cinnamon Crumble Bun (ask them to warm it up for you) along with a cup of milk from the Blue Ribbon Bakery.

My wife liked the old "hand-made" cotton candy that you could get at the end of Main Street by SBC. But we haven't seen that cart in a while - maybe they aren't doing it any more?

In DD, my favorite place is Jazz Kitchen (nothing like blowin' $200 on dinner for two!). When it is spur of the moment but we feel like sitting down, we can usually get a table fairly quickly at the Rain Forrest Cafe, but only because my wife has a Safari Card which usually gets us right in (mmm... Primal Steak!). Otherwise, it is usually not worth waiting for. Also, the Gospel Brunch at HOB is a fun experience.

At the Hotel, we also enjoy Hook's Pointe, but we do miss Stromboli's :(