PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Memory of Being @ Disneyland?

ZipadeedooDave
10-06-2003, 02:03 PM
I am here now to ask your earliest memory of Disneyland.

I remember being bundled up and sitting in the Plaza/Hub area of Disneyland with my Mom and Dad waiting for my Aunt to come off of work. My Aunt worked at Tomorrowland Terrace. We were going to sit and watch the Main Street Electrical Parade. It was a pretty new parade, since it began in 1972.

I remember wearing a red beanie type of hat to keep my head warm. My brother wasn't born yet, so it must've been before 1975...I want to think it was probably about 1973 or 1974 sometime......my earliest memory being that night....and seeing all the beautiful lights.....

CarlieB
10-06-2003, 02:10 PM
That's easy for me - it was February 2000 (I was 23, I think). We'd just got off a 12 hour flight from New Zealand, and had checked into the Howard Johnson (amazingly, at 9am they had our room ready) Even though we were tired, we decided to go to the park (as it was then - no DCA, etc) and spend a few hours there and have a nap in the afternoon. I remember walking down Main Street and beingsomewhat overwhelmed - it was as I had imagined, but even better. You can't anticipate the smells and sounds, even if you've seen phtos for years:)
We had breakfast at the Carnation Cafe and then walked on to Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Splash - what a great morning:)

redrhino
10-06-2003, 02:18 PM
My first memory of visiting Disneyland was way back in the early 70s. What made that trip stand out was the fact that my parents did not tell me that we were going to be stopping anywhere on our way from San Deigo to Santa Barbara (or was it the other way, I forget). I had thought that we were driving straight thru.

When I thought were part way there, I realized we were in stop and go traffic. I looked up to see the Disneyland sign directly over our car. It seemed that we were heading somewhere other than Santa Barbara. Considering my parents are not what you would call whimsical ... in any way, it was quite a surprise.

When we took our own kids for the first time a few years back we tried the same thing. What was most ammusing was that the (then) 5 year old was simply giddy with excitement on the tram, totally unaware that there was more in store after going into the park.

Nice topic.

Redrhino

ZipadeedooDave
10-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the complement on the topic. I appreciate that.

I have funny early memory of Disneyland that occurred after that one memory of the Main Street Electrical Parade memory.

I guess it must've been a very hot afternoon sometime in July or August of 1974.

I recall that my Mom, Dad and my Uncle and I were all together that day. I remember going on Mission To Mars 3 times consecutively that day.....because it was so hot -- not to mention Circle Vision.....my parents and 12 year old uncle were seeking Air Conditioning....

Well, after getting my 'Red Mickey Head-Shaped Balloon" my parents told me that "Disneyland was on fire" and we needed to go home. I, being an inquisitive child, asked where it was on fire and why no one else was leaving. I recall my Dad telling me that the Rocket on Mission To Mars must've blown up....and we really needed to go.

Just about a week ago we were laughing about that memory....my Dad was hysterical.....as a kid I knew it just didnt' seem right, but I was only like 3 years old.....and I wasn't old enough to contend with anything like this and besides "What if Disneyland was on fire?"

We avoided the summer crowd that day and left. We saved the rest of our E-tickets for a much cooler, less crowded day.:eek:

Kimi_Coconuts
10-07-2003, 11:01 AM
I was 4 years old and we were at a stage show where they asked for a volunteer and all the adults passes me to the stage. There was a trombone player and he told me to pull the slide while he blew. When I pulled it fell off. I was set up and mortified, I was never so embarrased, I had wanted to do a good job and everyone laughed. I got a big sucker from the man for my humiliation.

Yep, 4 years old, that would be 31 years ago, hmmmm, 1971. We still had tickets for the rides.

tod
10-11-2003, 04:38 PM
1955: Struttiing down Main Street on a cool evening in my Davy Crockett sweatshirt like I owned the world. I was all of 3 at the time.

Watching my two-year-old brother and my mother get in one Rocket Jet and having a Cast Member get in one with me so I could ride too. He let me do the controls. :D

Late night deep dark sitting around talking with my parents and aunt at the white wooden bridge that used to be outside what is now the River Belle.

--T
old timer
:fez:

iwannabeanimagineer
10-13-2003, 04:20 PM
I was between 3 and 5 years old, so it must have been between 1964 and 1967: We were walking down the east side of Main Street, past the wooden indian, approaching what I thought was another carved statue in front of the Main Street Cinema. It was The Phantom of the Opera standing as still as a statue, a costumed character that occasionally roamed Main Street back in the days when they showed more than just Mickey Mouse shorts in the Main Street Cinema.

(This Phantom resembled the skeletal-faced Phantom of Lon Chaney's silent movie, not the current Andrew Lloyd Weber iteration.)

The Phantom turned quickly to face me and said "boo". I jumped out of my skin.

idesign
10-13-2003, 04:24 PM
That Beautiful Blue and Yellow Tram..

The excitement level was so high I remember the ticket booths, the parking lot and the tram more than anything in those early years. I also remember wearing my "pass". The first year you didn't need tickets!.. Just loop the little string on a button and wear it around all day and you just got on the rides! any rides, as many times as you wanted!