PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Fastpasses No Longer

Pyrite
10-06-2003, 12:53 PM
I just found out that in 2004 Unlimited Fast Passes are being discontinued through the Walt Disney Travel Company.

mrscoach
10-06-2003, 12:58 PM
:D Whew! We got in just in time then - I specifically went through Disney Travel for our Thanksgiving vacatation, since the price was comparable to putting it together myself, AND we'd get the unlimited fastpasses.

Nephythys
10-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Why?

They took away early entry days, now they take this away too? What is going to be the perk for buying through WDTC if they take away the perks?:confused:

Pirate Girl
10-06-2003, 06:25 PM
The satisfaction of knowing you paid more. ;)

Elly
10-06-2003, 08:43 PM
So is it true then that the multiple fastpass option will not be available either through the AAA Passport Plus or through the Disney Hotel packages? No multiple pass option for anyone?

Nephythys
10-07-2003, 06:58 AM
That really irks me. WHY? Did people complain?

As someone who does not have the ability to go often, don't live in CA so don't have an AP, I liked having those perks to give me some value for the money I pay out.

I wonder if they plan on replacing it with something else of value?

hbquikcomjamesl
10-07-2003, 07:50 AM
Harrumph. Never used "unlimited fastpass" or "e-ride nights" myself on my two visits to WDW, and my travel agent went through Walt Disney Travel for "land" (but through Amtrak for rail, and in 2000, air as well).

It seems to me that the whole unlimited fastpass business was a bit elitist, anyway. Sort of like the non-Disney parks that, for a premium, will sell you a ticket that gets you into rides ahead of everybody else.

I have used "early entry" once or twice at WDW (probably only at AK), but never felt like it was an entitlement. It comes and goes with the seasons at WDW, and changes more often than some people change their underwear; I'm sure the same is true in DLR.

Harrumph. Entitlements. All extremism is based on entitlement mentalities. Not just the well-publicized entitlement mentalities of the Far Left; those on the Far Right seem to feel like they're entitled to make themselves richer by making the poor poorer.

Let's quit all this talk of entitlements at Disney resorts. We're entitled to a good time; that's it.

Nephythys
10-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Harrumph. Never used "unlimited fastpass" or "e-ride nights" myself on my two visits to WDW, and my travel agent went through Walt Disney Travel for "land" (but through Amtrak for rail, and in 2000, air as well).

It seems to me that the whole unlimited fastpass business was a bit elitist, anyway. Sort of like the non-Disney parks that, for a premium, will sell you a ticket that gets you into rides ahead of everybody else.

I have used "early entry" once or twice at WDW (probably only at AK), but never felt like it was an entitlement. It comes and goes with the seasons at WDW, and changes more often than some people change their underwear; I'm sure the same is true in DLR.

Harrumph. Entitlements. All extremism is based on entitlement mentalities. Not just the well-publicized entitlement mentalities of the Far Left; those on the Far Right seem to feel like they're entitled to make themselves richer by making the poor poorer.

Let's quit all this talk of entitlements at Disney resorts. We're entitled to a good time; that's it.

I do not think I am entitled to anything. I just liked the perks, and when traveling with family the unlimited fastpasses were a nice perk. PERK- not entitlement.

Kindly keep your political snipes accurate please. It is the left who is content to keep minorities and poor people down because it suits their desire for power to build their voter base out of people who depend on them for their basic needs. It is the left who will not allow people to send their children to the schools of their choice in order to continue to appease the teachers unions, another voter base. All despite the fact that it is minorities and poor people who WANT school choice (like vouchers). It is the left who seems to have failed basic economics and does not understand that the "rich" that you vilify are the people who pay the bulk of the taxes, start up businesses and hire people. If you bind their hands financially, of course that has an affect on other people who are not "rich".

On the other hand it is the right who encourages school choice, who has a better grip on the fact that you can't give tax cuts to people who don't pay taxes and who want people to acheive on their own rather than be welfare dependant and sucking off the gov't teat that WE have to pay for.

Now that I have given an alternate view, can we get back to the topic?

Obviously there are perks to certain types of access to DL. AP holders get access to AP only events. Buying through the WD Travel Co (and AAA) got the unlimited fastpass. Used to be that guests who stayed on Disney property got early entry. There are still perks to staying on property. The package delivery for one, and there are others.

Going to DL anytime is a joy. I would be perfectly happy to plunk down the cash to get in for one day, without any perks. During times though when money is tight and you are competing for people's vacation dollars, it seems like a wise thing to offer something that others are not- so I continue to hope that they will add a new perk.

CoasterMatt
10-07-2003, 09:08 AM
PANCAKES!!!

Carry on...

Nephythys
10-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
PANCAKES!!!

Carry on...

LOL:D is that a hint?

itsinthemagic
10-08-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure about this, but my travel agent told me that for our April trip, we will be able to use the unlimited fastpasses. She said she had checked on this and AAA package tickets and WDTC package tickets would be able to do this. People who aren't buying a package will not be able to have unlimited fastpasses (according to her). Either way I don't care... it's my HONEYMOON! :D

sleepyjeff
10-09-2003, 09:12 PM
I ve said it before, and I ll say it again...........Disney's new slogan is "we don't do that anymore ":|

Brian Noble
11-07-2003, 10:01 AM
I just got of the phone with AAA, after asking about the Passport Plus packages for 2004. The 2004 AAA Passport plus includes:

* 5 days (or 6 days) admission
* $10 ESPN Zone credit
* Preferred seating to "select DCA shows"
* the AAA Diamond CA Fun Book (or whatever it's called)
* free parking (presumably in Mickey & Friends)

it does *not* include

* free breakfast in the park voucher
* enhanced fastpass

According to the agent I spoke with, enhanced fastpass will be offered in 2004, but the only way to get enhanced fastpass tickets through AAA is to book a package that includes a stay in a DLR hotel.

Cost for the 5day: $129 adults/$99 aged 3-9
6day: 159/129.
I forgot to ask about shipping and handling charges; I'd assume they are comparable to last year ($13/order).

With the changes, the value of the Passport Plus hinges entirely on whether ESPN or Parking is useful to you. Assuming that the WDTC Passport Plus is identical to AAA's minus the parking/Fun Book, I'm guessing that the WDTC version is no longer advantageous.

That said, this seems like a smart move on DLR's part. The breakfast voucher seemed designed to get people to eat breakfast in the park rather than before they got there, but since the voucher was accepted anytime/anywhere (and nearly everyone knew this) it probably didn't have the intended result.

Likewise, restricting enhanced fastpass to DLR hotel guests is a great move, and I'm surprised it didn't happen more quickly. For the life of me, I can't figure out why those hotels are worth 2-3x what the hotels on Harbor are (with the possible exception of GCH), and that's what you pay if you don't have an AP discount. This adds a very tangible benefit to those rooms, encouraging more people to consider them---and possibly reduce the need to offer AP rates to fill the rooms. From what I understand, a similar system in place at Universal Orlando has done a good job of driving hotel stays.

disneylandia
11-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Personally I never got to use an unlimited fastpass. But since they were fairly limited I don't see how they can hurt.

wendybeth
11-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Most people carefully plot out and budget when planning a vacation, and if a travel agency or resort wishes to be competitive they offer inducements such as the Fastpass to encourage you to go through them. This is not an entitlement, it's what happens in a capitalistic society. I think anyone seeking out the best deal they possibly can for their hard earned money could hardly be considered elitist... To express disappointment at the cessation of one of the very few 'perks' that WDT offers is to be expected, and I am a little surprised at the political turn that this thread took. I am not going through WDT this year because they are not competitive enough, and if others do so perhaps they will give us a reason to go through them.....Laissez-Faire sytem, and it works both ways! :cool:

LifelongAngelsFan
11-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Just received my AAA Passport Plus package. It doesn't contain unlimited fast pass. It does contain the breakfast voucher and free parking.