PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bands & FastPass+ For DLR?!

Pages : [1] 2

Doug
06-21-2014, 02:46 PM
I went to WDW last month, and one of the nicest things about the trip, was the fact that, besides my camera, I had to carry nothing but my Magic Band..... which you can use to get into the parks, get Fastpass+'s, get in your room, pay for everything, etc!

BlkPearlCptn
06-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Oh please... NO NO NO!!!! Let it stay over there.

candles71
06-21-2014, 04:12 PM
What she said.

letshavefun
06-21-2014, 07:13 PM
I agree no thank you. I have never been to WDW and a reason I am a little concerned to go is the magic band.

olegc
06-21-2014, 08:06 PM
on merit - the convenience factor is good. however, couldn't you already do that with the key to the kingdom room key except maybe fastpass tickets?
and now, guess what, you can't transfer your fastpass to someone else (or donate to someone if you can't ride) - and you are limited to three fastpass attractions per park per day (maybe even entirely per day? i don't know). so while there is some good, there is some not so good in my opinion.

Gone2Disneyland
06-21-2014, 11:54 PM
My friends and I used the MagicBands last fall when we played MouseAdventure World Explorers. We found them really convenient. Scheduled FastPass times online before we got there and enjoyed the novelty of using the bands to pay for meals at the parks. Only glitch we experienced was after leaving; all of our expenses were billed to the one friend's credit card who booked our suite, even tho' we each - supposedly - tied our individual credit cards to our personal MagicBand. I've read various logistical concerns from Disneyland CMs about using MagicBands here, but as a park guest, I thought they were fine.

bumblebeeonarose
06-22-2014, 04:48 AM
You can get more FP after you've used yours, but only if they're available.

Dave1313
06-22-2014, 05:13 AM
You can get more FP after you've used yours, but only if they're available.

And you also have to physically be in the park with the attraction you want the new FP+ for.

To me this seemed intuitive(maybe because to me the kiosk seems like reverting towards the "old way" with paper FP), but others have expressed frustration with not being able to select FP+ for a park other than the one they were standing in while at the kiosk.

Dave1313
06-22-2014, 05:29 AM
on merit - the convenience factor is good. however, couldn't you already do that with the key to the kingdom room key except maybe fastpass tickets?
and now, guess what, you can't transfer your fastpass to someone else (or donate to someone if you can't ride) - and you are limited to three fastpass attractions per park per day (maybe even entirely per day? i don't know). so while there is some good, there is some not so good in my opinion.

While I'm guessing it's against formal WDW policy, I think I've read cases of people using other people's bands for FP+ purposes. (i.e., grandparents who may not have any interest in Tower of Terror lending their bands to the kids, etc)

You are also not forced to use the bands. Disney (at the moment, at least) acknowledges not everyone likes things attached to their wrists, so I believe you can request a standard card instead so you do not need to use a band. You can also just keep the band in your pocket and take it out when you need it, if you like. Also, guests who are not staying on-site still have traditional cards for their tickets(at this time, they need to pay to get bands if they want them). The cards work the same for getting FP+ access, many people swipe their cards in front of the Mickey Head Reader instead of bands.

Obviously the biggest deal with the band accesses is they are used for actual park admission, which is why they do the fingerprint thing.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't see Disney going after Grandma for letting Johnny use her band or card for Space Mountain FP+.

Definitely true about no longer being able to give FP away to strangers of course.

DaDuckFan1955
06-22-2014, 03:28 PM
While I'm guessing it's against formal WDW policy, I think I've read cases of people using other people's bands for FP+ purposes. (i.e., grandparents who may not have any interest in Tower of Terror lending their bands to the kids, etc)

You are also not forced to use the bands. Disney (at the moment, at least) acknowledges not everyone likes things attached to their wrists, so I believe you can request a standard card instead so you do not need to use a band. You can also just keep the band in your pocket and take it out when you need it, if you like. Also, guests who are not staying on-site still have traditional cards for their tickets(at this time, they need to pay to get bands if they want them). The cards work the same for getting FP+ access, many people swipe their cards in front of the Mickey Head Reader instead of bands.

Obviously the biggest deal with the band accesses is they are used for actual park admission, which is why they do the fingerprint thing.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't see Disney going after Grandma for letting Johnny use her band or card for Space Mountain FP+.

Definitely true about no longer being able to give FP away to strangers of course.

Exactly. I think the best thing about the Bands is once they have you scan your fingerprint, others cannot use them, hence reducing the wait time with 'others' trying to scam their way in with someone else's Card, the waits at DLA while people are ID'd and then say they left their ID in their room. Well at least at WDW that 'is no longer an issue. I'm all for them, I was concerned about if they got lost someone using mine to charge, but they require a finger scan to BUY/CHARGE anything, so that was a peace of mind.

oregontraveler
06-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Very much in the NO WAY crowd. From a personal standpoint, its another hit on taking the spontaneity out of the vacation.
From a logistical standpoint, DLR is still very much a locals parks. What return on their investment will they get when most folks are coming out a for a few hours and not spend any money on souvenirs, hotels etc. ???

Angie2009
06-22-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm in the No Way crowd, but basically just because I know how to have a great time in the parks now, am rather selfish, and fear change! I would think that if they had FP+ then passholder experts would just book them for every day they MIGHT go. Which would reduce the passes available for folks like me who are much more last minute with our trips.

Dave1313
06-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Exactly. I think the best thing about the Bands is once they have you scan your fingerprint, others cannot use them, hence reducing the wait time with 'others' trying to scam their way in with someone else's Card, the waits at DLA while people are ID'd and then say they left their ID in their room. Well at least at WDW that 'is no longer an issue. I'm all for them, I was concerned about if they got lost someone using mine to charge, but they require a finger scan to BUY/CHARGE anything, so that was a peace of mind.

This was the "way of the world" if you will excuse the pun even before the bands, at least for a couple years (I have no idea on long term history as to when WDW started the fingerprint thing). The first time I was down there in early 2012, they did the fingerprint thing at the entry to each park with the old tickets, it was just that you had to insert your ticket into a machine before giving the fingerprint. So the effort to curtail people trying to enter without proper tickets is at least very similar, if not the same.

On your 2nd item, I could be mistaken since I have not actually used this feature, but I believe it's a PIN to link charges, not a fingerprint. Just as good as long as you don't write the PIN on the band! ;)

I'm in the No Way crowd, but basically just because I know how to have a great time in the parks now, am rather selfish, and fear change! I would think that if they had FP+ then passholder experts would just book them for every day they MIGHT go. Which would reduce the passes available for folks like me who are much more last minute with our trips.

That's a very good point. There may be some limits to how many pass holders can set up in a given amount of time, but I don't have any real experience with how that works.

I can say that even on a smaller scale it causes wasted FP+ times. A future trip that I am involved with involves a few non-Disney days as well(though park-hopers are involved so the parks are still an option on those days). You can bet that I selected decent attractions for the (intended) non-Disney days just in case plans change, weather is not good for the other planned events, etc. Ideally, I will make my best effort to remember to cancel these reservations once we know for sure we will not be in the park those days so that some other party can benefit from them. Multiply that by lots of people who have similar ideas (and add those who won't care enough to worry about even trying to cancel even once they know their plans).

Wasted times are also (at this time at least) caused because the system requires signing up for three FP+, if you want one or two, you still have to pick three.

With all the investment, most seem to think eventually this will invade DLR as well, but maybe the smaller scope with just the 2 parks may make it unnecessary. We will see I guess.

TTFN92
06-23-2014, 12:02 AM
I can't stand the idea of having to plan FPs before getting to the park. It was bad enough having to decide where we wanted to east months in advance it would be even worse having to plan what you are going to ride too. I hope it stays in WDW.

candles71
06-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Only for onsite guests, or pay extra? I don't see a lot of DL people paying extra for it, whether off'site or passholders, that is a lot of expense for a small number of the total guests on any given day.

Nikara
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
A small note of dissent here, but I actually wound up enjoying the MagicBands way more than I expected to, particularly for their convenience. I'm not sure I want FastPass+ at Disneyland, and acknowledge that you would probably be stuck with both, but I would love it if we could use Magic Bands for tickets/credit cards/ traditional FastPasses. It really was remarkably convenient, and you didn't have to worry about carrying nearly as many things with you. Also prevented lost tickets/fast passes, particularly with little kids. We didn't have any problems with them falling off, and they were quite comfortable.

DisneyGator
06-24-2014, 07:54 AM
One of the big reasons we're doing DL this year and with Annual Passes instead of going to WDW is the FastPass+. The bands don't bother me. In fact, I wish DL had a better ticket system other than paper passes. C'mon guys. You're Disney. Upgrade to plastic. Even when you stay at a Disney resort, the keycards are completely separate from the park tickets. I can't imagine it being that hard to integrate.

Goodnplenty
06-25-2014, 05:14 AM
I live near WDW and I usually make a trip once a year to DL. IMHO I would sum up FP+ this way.
For WDW with the tremendous number of guests in the parks, the FP+ system is needed.
As a local I can make ressies at work (for whatever is available -which I wouldn't know until I were IN the park) and go straight to MK, ride 3 rides and have dinner, all in 2 hours. Then drive home. ....I can't help but wonder if DL locals would enjoy the same. But I don't think DL really needs the FP+ system like WDW does.

6:05pm... crossing Bay Lake on the ferry with a grand total of 30 guests on board.
6:20pm... Rode 7DMT with 5:25p-6:25p FP
6:30pm... Had chicken dinner at Cosmic Ray's and relaxed watching Sonny Eclipse.
7:00pm... Rode Mermaid with 6:30p-7:30p FP. I looked at the H.Goff dvc "booth" for any Harper Goff references.
7:15pm... I realize that my last FP+ for WtheP is 7:35p-8:35p and I'm not sure I want to hang out for 20 minutes or start the drive home.
7:16pm... I come up with a great plan and ride the carrousel which had no real line.
7:30pm... I ride WtheP by going in 5 minutes early!

....I can't help but wonder how amazing it would be to get on RSR, TSM and have dinner all within 2 hours. But I don't know that DL really needs FP+.

I hope everyone has a magical day!
GnP

houseofmouse
06-25-2014, 07:42 AM
The scanners do not take your fingerprint. Only the shape of your finger. We asked because sometimes someone in our family has issues with the scanner.

I think the locals would riot if FP+ came to DL and WDW spent so much money on a non perfect system that is still not fully rolled out, I doubt they are in any hurry to bring it to CA.

I like wearing the band okay. But WDW needs to train their CM's on how to load rides with FP. TOT was severely messed up last night. They were loading 4-5 from stand by and the rest of the two elevator waiting areas with all FP people. It was insane!

Moms
06-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Add me to the no thank you team. DL and DW are SUCH different places, nevermind the affordability and access of resort hotels in DW compared to DL.... No thanks.

currence
06-25-2014, 01:58 PM
I live near WDW and I usually make a trip once a year to DL. IMHO I would sum up FP+ this way.
For WDW with the tremendous number of guests in the parks, the FP+ system is needed.
As a local I can make ressies at work (for whatever is available -which I wouldn't know until I were IN the park) and go straight to MK, ride 3 rides and have dinner, all in 2 hours. Then drive home. ....I can't help but wonder if DL locals would enjoy the same. But I don't think DL really needs the FP+ system like WDW does.

6:05pm... crossing Bay Lake on the ferry with a grand total of 30 guests on board.
6:20pm... Rode 7DMT with 5:25p-6:25p FP
6:30pm... Had chicken dinner at Cosmic Ray's and relaxed watching Sonny Eclipse.
7:00pm... Rode Mermaid with 6:30p-7:30p FP. I looked at the H.Goff dvc "booth" for any Harper Goff references.
7:15pm... I realize that my last FP+ for WtheP is 7:35p-8:35p and I'm not sure I want to hang out for 20 minutes or start the drive home.
7:16pm... I come up with a great plan and ride the carrousel which had no real line.
7:30pm... I ride WtheP by going in 5 minutes early!

....I can't help but wonder how amazing it would be to get on RSR, TSM and have dinner all within 2 hours. But I don't know that DL really needs FP+.

I hope everyone has a magical day!
GnP

That sounds like a wonderful system in WDW - where enough of the day guests are tourists who may not have learned what the FP+ can do for them and reservations are still available. This is what i would envision if same day FPs are available for DL

8:00am (or whenever FP+ same day reservations open): try to log on - system crashes due to high volume of users
10:00am (or two hours after whenever FP+ reservations open): finally get through to system, learn that all FP spots for all rides have now been taken
And that assumes that they add FP+ for more rides i.e. Haunted Mansion always on, maybe add Little Mermaid to FP+. Otherwise, it would probably only take 1 hour or less to give up on everything.

AND, because locals to DL are a finicky lot, the formularies of how many FP+ to give out will be skewed to account for a certain % of no-shows - which means the standby lines will be even worse on those days that too many people show up.

If I could guarantee a west coast version of what you did - I would be inclined to head to Disneyland near every weekend - something that I think Disneyland would not really like if everyone did. I know that for WDW, there was a limit on how many of the FP+ reservations APs could obtain to start, so that would help here as well. Or if FP+ is only available to Premium APs? Or a new AP with FP+ AP at an even higher cost?

Disneyphile
06-25-2014, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't mind it for DL, if they made it so AP holders like myself couldn't use FP+ (that would be reserved for the day tickets/resort guests only). I would love to be able to tie mine to my card and just use it for payments and have it automatically apply my AP discount at the same time. Totally convenient. I would love to enter the park empty-handed with just a bracelet. :)

houseofmouse
06-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Currence for AP's you can get 3 per day just like everyone else. It is just we are limited to only being able to get them 30 days in advance. On site guests can book 60 days. Not really an issue unless you want Elsa and Anna or Toy Story Mania.

I hope DL does not ever get this system. I go to DL every summer or every other summer while visiting family and I don't want to mess with it. :) but that is just me.

carolinakid
06-26-2014, 07:53 AM
I would like to have my park hopper ticket and room key on the magic band but I like FP just the way it is.

Gramiangel420
06-27-2014, 07:41 AM
I am going to WDW and staying at a resort hotel, because I am attending a conference. I have my magic band and it is tied to my hotel and transportation. Because my conference ends each day at 4:30pm I do not know which parks I might visit, so I have not taken advantage of the fastpass option. I also don't know about making reservations for meals because I don't know where I may decide to go each day. There is a special price for conference goers so we do not have to pay the full day price. I return home on a Friday night from Orlando and leave early Saturday morning for our family trip to DLR. We are driving from the Seattle area. Knowing that I will be going to DLR may keep me from visiting the WDW parks. I am thinking about going to Epcot, it will depend on whether other conference attendees want to go with me. Anyway I will be able to compare the bands to the non band parks when I return. <3 Disneyland