PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder vs. Matterhorn.... Is it just me?

Doug
06-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Is it just me, that thinks BTMRR is now too smooth, and that the Matterhorn beats the stuff out of you and should be smoothed out?

pulltab
06-21-2014, 07:22 PM
I agree... BTMRR is just not like it was before... on the old version, sometimes like you had a sense you were going to "fly out"... now... smooooooth..... It's OK, but you are correct.

Matterhorn drops are almost G Force hard on your body... I try to brace myself and lift up a bit... but that takes the fun away.....

Seashellmama
06-21-2014, 10:26 PM
I think BTMRR is awesome now. I love the smooth. Didn't care for it before the renovation.

The Matterhorn is awful. :(

cstephens
06-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Big Thunder too smooth? Nope, perfect. Rode it again tonight. Still love it, even though not all the effects at the end were working.

Gone2Disneyland
06-21-2014, 11:57 PM
Is it just me, that thinks BTMRR is now too smooth, and that the Matterhorn beats the stuff out of you and should be smoothed out?

No, I noticed BTMRR rides much smoother -- and I love it this way!! Matterhorn is a rough ride that I only ride when friends want to. To be honest tho', I bet I wouldn't mind Matterhorn if my body and my mind were 30 to 40 years younger. :p

bumblebeeonarose
06-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Matterhorn jostles you a lot, and it can hurt. My DD just asked my mom if she'd ride the "Winter Ride" with her. My mom was saying yes, but I was telling her no. She has a bad back, and my thoughts when riding it last weekend was that Mom better not ride this. Thunder Mountain was great though, and it's Mom's favorite. I told her to take DD on that one instead. DD has not ridden either due to Thunder's closure last year and Matterhorn's height increase.

3Princesses1Prince
06-22-2014, 10:56 AM
If it wasn't for my 5 year old, I'd steer clear of Matterhorn. I haven't been since BTMRR reopened.

TTFN92
06-23-2014, 12:05 AM

I agree and so doors my sister. She went on it before me but wouldn't give her opinion until after I rode it and gave mine. We both said it was too smooth and makes it feel slower. Still a great ride though. And Matterhorn is terrible!

DwarfPlanet
06-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Matterhorn with the uncomfortable new ride vehicles and being beaten to death while in them is no longer a fun ride. While BTMRR is still fun.

POTCpurist
06-23-2014, 08:28 AM
I personally don't think that BTMRR is too smooth now. Smoother, obviously and I like it. I sadly do NOT like the Matterhorn (which was one of my fav rides) since the refurb with new bobsleds, and haven't ridden it since riding it the first time since that refurb. Ugh.

oregontraveler
06-23-2014, 08:51 AM
I personally don't think that BTMRR is too smooth now. Smoother, obviously and I like it. I sadly do NOT like the Matterhorn (which was one of my fav rides) since the refurb with new bobsleds, and haven't ridden it since riding it the first time since that refurb. Ugh.

I have yet to ride BTMRR, but i can't imagine with the new track layout and the same ride vehicles. That it is now the best outdoor coaster in the park. I doubt I will ride Matterhorn again, its too jerky & i can't brace my legs against the sides like I could in the old sleds.

carolinakid
06-23-2014, 09:04 AM
I think Matterhorn is still terrific and I'm looking forward to trying out Big Thunder which was closed during my last visit.

HeavenOnEarth
06-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Hey, I agree Doug...even though BTMRR is my favorite ride there (both before and after the refurb) I totally understand what you mean. I loved the old school feel of the train wheels against the coaster rails. But after the refurb, to me it does seem a little faster and
it is as smooth as butter.

Matterhorn on the other side..is still an old classic fav of mine and yes after its latest refurb dropped more Disney ponts based on how damn uncomfortable it is now. But like I told my family when we ride it...pretend your riding a motorcycle and bob and weeve and lift your butt
when you know those dreaded sudden drops and turns come up.

Angie2009
06-23-2014, 09:42 AM
I really am not a Matterhorn fan after the refurb. Not comfortable. I do like BTMR.

biolabetty
06-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I can't get the "goat trick" to work any more on BTMR. Otherwise, I enjoy that ride very much, but like has been said, the Matterhorn is extremely jerky and uncomfortable.

DisneyGator
06-27-2014, 08:12 AM
If it wasn't for my 5 year old, I'd steer clear of Matterhorn. I haven't been since BTMRR reopened.

Yip. My kids want to do Matterhorn, even though it's nothing compared to ExEverest in FL (their words, not mine). That things beats you to death. It's a once a trip ride only.

Haven't done the new smooth BTMRR, but I hope it's as smooth as everyone is saying. It's like Space Mt. The one at WDW is pretty rough and I feel a headache coming on after one ride on it. But the DL version is suh-weet! Very smooth and fast. Much better for this rapidly-aging spine.

TTFN92
06-27-2014, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=3Princesses1Prince;1856697] It's like Space Mt. The one at WDW is pretty rough and I feel a headache coming on after one ride on it. But the DL version is suh-weet! Very smooth and fast. Much better for this rapidly-aging spine.

We've been to WDW once and I went on Space once and didn't have a desire to go on it ever again. Brutal!!

GrannyGear
06-29-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm with Gone2Disneyland. The new ride vehicles have made Matterhorn too rough on old bones! When they did the big refurb I had hopes it would be less jarring, but the ride is just too rough for me now. It seems to really suit the younger crowd so that is good too.

megzrg
06-30-2014, 05:27 AM
Was going to finally get to ride the Matterhorn for the first time since they refurbished it when we were down at the beginning of the month, but between Grad nights, the starting summer crowds, and all the kids there on end-of-year field trips the crowding preventing us from getting around to it. Which is too bad because I had to do 2 months of weight training to get my back strengthened up to the point that I would have been able to finally ride it without my back being out for the rest of the trip. It was bad on backs before the refurb, and everything I heard about the refurb makes it sound like it is even worse now. Maybe next time. :(

We did get to ride BTMR though, as we made this a priority. Both my husband and I were talking about how much smoother the ride is. We like the changes and it makes the ride feel faster than it did before.

Tinkermommy
07-05-2014, 02:17 PM
I LOVE the improved BTMR. I rode Matterhorn once after the refurb, and found it uncomfortable enough that I've never been on it again.

oregontraveler
07-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Remember??? you remember

sjhanksaz
07-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Perhaps after a few years it will all loosen up again