PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Holiday review

Pages : [1] 2

GoldenEars
10-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Hello Ghouls & Ghouletts~

Just wanted to give my opinion on the HMH this year. I went on it last night and loved it. Altho most of it is the same from the past 2 years, the added additions are terrific, especially the finale on the attraction!! Let's hear it for Oogie Boogie!:D

Happy Haunting~
Patrick

MuckaMowie
10-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Yep! It's great. Sound system is awesome! We got to go to the "Boo Bayou" and the Mansion on Thursday night. The show at the FT was actually pretty good too! (and I'm not much on Disney Fantasyland Theater productions!) Don't you think Oogie makes a GREAT sugared centerpiece on the table?:p

DLfreak
10-04-2003, 12:31 PM
I thought it was AWESOME!! :D

And I loved the tribute to the Cymbal Monkeys. May they R.I.P. ;)

Did everybody find all 10 of the Oogie Boogie surprises??

LIMANDL4EVA
10-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Went on Fri Afternoon. After about an hour and a half downtime , most of the line had left. Apparently the sound system wasn't working. Anyways, I LOVED IT. The addition of Oogie makes it SO much more magical. Without trying to give away any spoliers, the finale to the attraction was definately my favorite part. As DLFreak said, there is a HILARIOUS tribute to the Cymbal Monkeys in the attic from last year, may they R.I.P. The theming in the graveyard is MUCH more detailed this year. GREAT RIDE every time! I Love It!

cstephens
10-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by DLfreak
Did everybody find all 10 of the Oogie Boogie surprises??

Yes, we did. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/hmh2003spoilers.html)

MonorailMan
10-04-2003, 06:22 PM
I just love the Fezzed Oogie Boogie. ;) :fez:

Cadaverous Pallor
10-05-2003, 10:58 AM
I guess the cat's out of the bag....I would have used spoiler tags, but it's too late now... :rolleyes:

GD and I nearly died (again? ;) ) when we saw the attic Oogie. Hilarious. And we got to go on the ride with several padders through the course of two days, hearing their first time reactions. Very cool. :D

And he is really creepy too! He wobbles menacingly back and forth, smacking those cymbals together....:eek:

lisap
10-05-2003, 11:10 AM
The perfect start to the holiday season-what fun! :)

It was also my first time going on the ride with someone in a wheelchair, so I was able to see the little "extras" like the stretching room in reverse (and the stained glass fitting back together). Being able to stay on the ride through the little backstage area and emerging back at the loading area seeing all the characters and presents was very memorable.

TheatreTech
10-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Went on three times yesterday.:D
Loved the "Fezzed" Oogie (Our "Black Christmas Sleigh" stopped right next to him...so we started clapping along:p ) I also like the recording when you stop.

theaterfreak89
10-05-2003, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to let you guys in on something I noticed. This year, on "jack's list" in the attic there are 2 new names: Garner & Holt. Put them together and they spell the name of the outside company that created many of the pieces for HMH including the jack animatronic, the ballroom x-mas tree, the snow angels, and the demonic wreath and pointsettias. The names are on the first section of the list that you see when you come into the attic. Garner Holt is one of Disney's commonly-used partners, they have also made the Fantasmic! dragon, the pooh ride, the animatronic simba in the Parade of the Stars, and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger spin, just to name a few.
Garner Holt Website (http://www.garnerholt.com)
:geek: Yes, I know that I am a geek for knowing this.

Rallymonkey23
10-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
And we got to go on the ride with several padders through the course of two days, hearing their first time reactions. Very cool. :D

Of course I missed hanging out with everyone again. :( Like I told Zapp, the little one was tired and cold after getting a ride on HMH. So I had to leave.

Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor GD and I nearly died when we saw the attic Oogie.

And I almost killed myself when I saw the attic Boogie! I kinda jumped up in my Doombuggy, almost hitting my head on the top of it.. I was sooo excited when I saw it. I just couldn't believe it! :D Maybe Disney is listening to our complaints after all? ;)

zapppop
10-05-2003, 11:52 PM
http://members.aol.com/lunerds/hmhoogie.jpg

hbquikcomjamesl
10-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Wouldn't The Rev'd Dr. Gene Scott just love to have this to add to his "Bureaucratic Monkey Band"?

mamabot
10-06-2003, 08:19 AM
We had the best time on the ride! We were able to go on the ride twice on Saturday. Brian (4.5 year old) was beside himself with giddy happiness over seeing the "Jack Skeltelin" ride again.

I was very excited to see the ride myself. I was glad I knew ahead of time about the Oogie confection in the ballroom scene. I loved the secret message on that one! ;)

I did notice the fezed Oogie in the attic. Totally hilarious. I especially loved the Pet Cemetary Oogie.

The theming on the ride is incredible. It was a stroke of genius to do this holiday overlay. I know that my family will be going back to see it as often as possible!

And as an advice aside, beware of dropping lap bars while holding a sleeping child on one's lap. If my hand had not been between Ali's back and the bar, she would have been in a world of pain!

If only we could get TDA to put this kind of effort in designing new stuff.....

justagrrl
10-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Rode on it this morning. Was sad to see the oogie boogie monkey was still - I thought he would be dinging his cymbols (sp?).

But the Oogie at the end - That was great!

My son, who is traditionally a little leary of HM (he's 5) has finally conquered his fear I think. He call it the "Haunted Mansion takes over Christmas ride" and was really in the spirit of things on the ride.

It was REALLY crowded today though. We left, about 1pm, and the tram operator even commented on the crowds saying they were already parking people in Simba! Wonder why it was so packed?

Cadaverous Pallor
10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Rode on it this morning. Was sad to see the oogie boogie monkey was still - I thought he would be dinging his cymbols (sp?).Aw, he was busted already? When we were there he was smacking away. :(

Not Afraid
10-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by TheatreTech
Loved the "Fezzed" Oogie (Our "Black Christmas Sleigh" stopped right next to him...so we started clapping along:p )

Awwwwww. We did that for WEEKS after the Monkeys disappeared last year.

OK. So, where's the merchandise? I was my own Clapping, Fezzed, Cymbal Oogie.

(Man, that would sure make a good costume!!!)

Rallymonkey23
10-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Rode on it this morning. Was sad to see the oogie boogie monkey was still - I thought he would be dinging his cymbols (sp?).

Oh great. Don't tell me they ran out of batteries again. :rolleyes:

TheatreTech
10-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
OK. So, where's the merchandise? I was my own Clapping, Fezzed, Cymbal Oogie.
I would buy one.......maybe two:p

Rallymonkey23
10-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
OK. So, where's the merchandise?

That's what I was thinking. With Oogie being the added addition to the ride, you would think they would capitalize on the opportunity to sell things with him on it.

But then again, I did not go into La Baton Rouge to see if they had anything of him. There was a line to get into the shop, and I was not going to wait in it. The Emporium had nothing but shirts that had all the other characters on it with 2003 added onto it, but no Oogie.

Sophie832
10-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Loved the fezzed Oogie when I saw him (in working condition) on Sat. night! I would definitely buy one if they sold them! Wake up Disney! If there's one thing you seem to know about, it's merchandising!

Just a quick question about the 10 Oogie Boogies...my friend said she got a map for it or something like that on Friday night, but when we went on Sat., we didn't get anything. Were they handing something out? We went in the fastpass line, so is that why we didn't get one? Or was it an opening night thing?

cemeinke
10-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Sophie832
Just a quick question about the 10 Oogie Boogies...my friend said she got a map for it or something like that on Friday night, but when we went on Sat., we didn't get anything. Were they handing something out? We went in the fastpass line, so is that why we didn't get one? Or was it an opening night thing?

You can get the map from Disney's site here (http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/media/dlr/content/eng/dlp/attractions/hauntedmansionholiday/HMH2003_Find%20Oogie%20Boogie%20Map.pdf). It's a PDF. Don't know about when and if they were passing out hard copy at the Mansion.

RStar
10-07-2003, 08:35 AM
They were handing out those very same maps when we were there for the opening night meet. GD,CP, Zapppop, myself and my mom (Bookmouse), and my wife (Dopeylover) all loved riding several times trying to find Oggie. There were still two I couldn't find. And the one in the graveyard we missed because we went in SAP (Had two in wheelchairs with us) . The ride back around to the loading area, and then up the elevator is cool , I agree LisaP!

cstephens
10-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Sophie832

We got some on Sunday afternoon.

Not Afraid
10-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Oh darn. I guess I need to go back and get one.:mad: ;)